Camping with the Ibans of Batang Ai, Borneo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...

In June, I organized a group of like minded friends (6 in total) to a jungle camping trip with the Ibans of Batang Ai. We planned the trip so that we stayed at least a night at the long house and 2 nights camping out in the jungle.
Here are some pictures from the trip:

P1070853.jpg

There are many long houses still at Batang Ai area. A man made dam, the long houses today exists on what used to be hill tops. The long houses here still do not have supplied electricity (mostly run on generator) and the villagers still hunt and work the land for livelihood.
We visited a few long houses.

P1070883.jpg

Inside one of the long houses.

P1070888.jpg

Some of the 'older' folks still bare the tatoos (or 'pantang' as they called it).

What really surprised me was that most of the long houses there still make and use their own parang! Because they rely heavily on farming and hunting, they each village have their own forge and parang makers.
P1080072.jpg

P1080161.jpg

Parangs are an EVERYDAY tool for these folks. Each 'pintu' (door) would probably have at least 4 to 7 pieces of parangs for their daily work.

P1070918.jpg

Some of the WIP parangs.

P1070914.jpg

One of the parangs that has been tempered.

P1080036.jpg

Looks very much like Ray Mear's parang. Or should I say Mr Mear's parang looks remarkably like the Iban's Candong? He...he...he...

Some of the older and family heritage blades:
P1070971.jpg

Will upload more pictures soon.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Thanks guys...as promised...more pics.

Arriving at the long house, we were greeted by some of the elder folks.
P1070869.jpg

Well, it was a really 'merry' night. The entire long house was up, preparing a feast, complete with 'Langkau' and 'Tuak'. The 'tanjok' was where it all happened.
P1070911.jpg

P1080021.jpg

The night was followed with some ceremony, including the Ngajat dance. To be honest, I was so thrilled I totally forgot to take pictures of those moments!
Prior to coming over to the long house, we were advised by our local guide to buy gifts for the families there. After we have passed all the 'gifts' to the Tuai Rumah (chief), he went along and divided all the things we bought into 10 equal piles. He did this in front of everyone. Obviously, there were 10 families in that long house and everyone got equal share, including the chief himself.
P1080011.jpg

Yes, farming and hunting is still their main livelihood. Because they are surrounded by water, it is only natural that they fish as well. They have nets and reels but they also make their own spear guns.
P1070945.jpg

And some animals were kept around the long house...pets or dinner, I am not sure :p
P1070932.jpg

Southey...I will post more pics on parang making soon.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
cheers bandel 14 very informative.someone should do a group buy of the parangs. I am sure their is a market and someone will come along to help.

Thank you for that. Yes, I have commissioned the first piece and will upload pics when I get them. These are genuinely hand made in the village itself. I have requested that they re-learn some of the bindings and knots and apply them into the parang. If I can get enough people interested to support, this would hopefully give them a reason to continue the skill and art. At the moment, they just cannot care much of the 'old' ways because much of their time is too focused on making ends meet.
With this parang project, maybe the monies they receive can supplement their income, make them realize there is value in their 'old' ways and hopefully encourage them to revive it.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

After we have passed all the 'gifts' to the Tuai Rumah (chief), he went along and divided all the things we bought into 10 equal piles. He did this in front of everyone. Obviously, there were 10 families in that long house and everyone got equal share, including the chief himself.

That's one reason why the Iban are many travellers favourite tribe - democratic and egalitarian- unlike the coastal Malays or some of the up country peoples - ridden with hierachy, aristocracy and corruption.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
That's one reason why the Iban are many travellers favourite tribe - democratic and egalitarian- unlike the coastal Malays or some of the up country peoples - ridden with hierachy, aristocracy and corruption.

Ha ha ha...you are right Bod. You know Malaysia too well!

Here are some pictures of the forge workshop that I did not post in the Youtube video.

P1070928.jpg

The belian water 'log' for tempering

P1070927.jpg

The hand powered blower

P1080069.jpg

Two villagers working at the shed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE