Camping Trip in Europe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Firstly greetings from the new lad !!

After working like a dog (do dogs work ??) for the first 8 months of the year I am planning to take a week possibly 2 weeks holiday somewhere in Europe. (Aug or Sep)

Being a country lad by rights, a competent fisherman, a good shot and fairly hardy as in 'roughing it' or should I say 'smoothing it' ?? ;) I have decided that I'd dump the boringness of a hotel and camp instead, I do quite a few camping trips around the South of England in the spring/summer/autumn as it is and am fairly well versed in a few of the skills required to make for a succesful stay. Rather than muck about online I thought I'd come here and ask the people that actually have the knowledge to help me out.

In short I'd like to visit somewhere in Europe that I haven't been before (this rules out greece, spain, denmark and germany) I'd like a place to camp that is fairly remoteish as in I'd like to be near some amenities and running water would be a good thing. Therefore I'm thinking a campsite (does that make purists spit in disgust ??!!) But no showers, sky tv, creche for the kids affair, something as I said a little more remote. I don't plan to wander that much, staying in one place and relaxing is the onus on this one.

I also love fishing and am keen to get on a lightweight spinning outfit and possibly bag some trout for the pot, so near a lake with a trout head would be awesome, in fact ideal.

I have the link for interhike but it seems a massive database but with no reviews or extra information, hence I am here.

So after all that - any ideas, good experiences, recommendations, advice ??

Thanks in advance - Dan.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I've been to Romania a couple of times but by far the best place was Piatra Criaului (pronounced cry-louie). we went about 20km up the valley track from Zarnesti, near Brasov past a pension called Plaiul Foii Chalet. a few people were camping there but if you headed up river a km or 2 there were few people about and a very wild feel to the place. The ridge walk is great but hairy in places - we did it using a colour printout of the map above! There are brown bears and wolves in the woods. You might meet shepherds or forestry workers and taste some sheeps cheese seasoned in pine bark or have a shot of palinka from a mineral water bottle and then fall over!
some nice pics and wildlife info here:
CERI
cheers
Flux

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Thanks guys, I'll check those places out later, I have heard good reports of the picos before.

Being web based is causing me a lot of problems as I'm looking more for personal recommendations. Currently I'm checking out all lakes in europe, then if criterias match, looking for appropriate places to stay. Although the problem is that only bigger commercial sites are accessable to a bit of research hence asking you guys.

Any more suggestions are very very welcome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE