Camping in the new year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Planning on camping sometime in the new year with a few mates but we're all pretty inexperienced at all this lark. So, for a typical camping session, what's the most adequate gear to bring? I know a big mistake by a lot of people is bringing too much. What to bring/what not to bring etc.

I thought I'd get planning at this very early stage ;)

Cheers

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Kiamyr,

As with all things "it depends". Depends on the location, the weather, how you want to camp, basic, tent, hammock, or luxury.

For a simple weekend in the woods, I took the following rucksack, containing

Something to sleep in,
Something to sleep under
Something to eat
Something to cook it with
Something to eat it on/with
Something to drink
Something waterproof to wear
Tools, ie firelighting, knife, axe, rope, lights

This setup didnt weigh too much, I used nearly everything I brought, and it was comfortable.

Good luck

Attachments

• 10505868pq.jpg
    10505868pq.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 175

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Are you going to get out of your car and camp or walk somewhere to camp? If it's the car take your gear and some extra, if it's on foot think a bit harder about it. You want to be warm, dry, fed, watered and entertained. You'll also want somewhere that you can have some space but still be under cover, a straight forward tarp would do for that.

When you say camping do you mean tents?

You'll need, Warm clothes and footwear, change of clothes, sleeping bag, mat or some forum of insulation between you and the ground, your shelter, food/water and a means of heating it. Something to see with (torch/headlamp) stuff like that, a lot will depend on what you're doing. I'm out this week but all the cooking etc will be on an open fire and we'll be kipping under tarps.

Topcat02 said:
Hi Kiamyr,

As with all things "it depends". Depends on the location, the weather, how you want to camp, basic, tent, hammock, or luxury.

For a simple weekend in the woods, I took the following rucksack, containing

Something to sleep in,
Something to sleep under
Something to eat
Something to cook it with
Something to eat it on/with
Something to drink
Something waterproof to wear
Tools, ie firelighting, knife, axe, rope, lights

This setup didnt weigh too much, I used nearly everything I brought, and it was comfortable.

Good luck
hi top cat,whats the bergen your using????

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Its the ubiquitous Karrimor Sabre 45, plus two zip on side pockets, total cost £37.00

Volume is 45 litres +30 litres (I think its 15 litres per side pocket).

On the top is a "thermarest, wrapped up in a goretex bivvy bag.

The trouble I have is, the bigger the rucksack, the more equipment I take with me. So I try really hard to stick to 60litres on a normal trip.

I'm sure you'll get loads of advice. The most important thing is that you remain warm, dry, hydrated, well fed and happy. If you are, then you'll go back for more.

Cheers

TC

snake|UK|

Nov 3, 2005
yorkshire
www.bushtruck.co.uk
You have all you need, gortex bivvi bag thermarest (put inside your bag this will stop you from rolling off the hill) . don’t forget a 5 season sleeping bag . 24 hour army rations are easy food. I recommend the only spare clothes you take are socks. If you at top dog bushcraft person all you need is a knife and a wool blanket (lol giggle)
Good luck
:lmao:

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Oh I'm no top dog bushcrafter I can tell you that much:)

"Are you going to get out of your car and camp or walk somewhere to camp?"

Probably get out of the car option, since the woodland will be a bit away. So I suppose that does give me scope to bring that little bit more if needed alright.

"When you say camping do you mean tents?"

Yes, or would you recommend something different? How did you kip exactly, under the tarp?

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hey....good idea.

I was looking for a "waterproof" bag to put my thermarest in during walking/transport. I'd like something a bit more substantial than a bin liner!!

Anyone got any ideas? :rolleyes:

And where did you get a Karrimor Sabre 45 for £37?!!? :yikes:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Dont forget to take a small first aid kit, and if you are off into the hills, a plastic bivvy bag, torch (+spares) and a whistle. I have all of this and some food stashed in the rucsac, just in case.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
a mate and myself went to snowdonia between boxing day and new year last year
bloody great .
we got a camping hut so we just took sleeping bags and walking gear .
if you are camping out in woodland then you might want to think about using fire with bivis ie making a long fire and arrange the bivi so the heat is reflected into it
not sure exacly what you are doing - if you give us an idea of what you are doing i suspect someone here would be able to write you out a precise kit list - ie where you going how long for will you ne walking ect ect

if you havnt gone camping or so you say before i suspect this is a joke thread
maybe i should start one "never done winter mountaining thinking of treking in the alps this xmas"
sudgestion - take someone who knows what they are doing
lol
but what ever you do take credit card so you can book into a hotel if it gets grim
and/or take much cheer in the form of whisky certainly takes the hard edge off the cold .
oh and a ton of galaxy chocolate is useful.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
PhilParry said:
Hey....good idea.

I was looking for a "waterproof" bag to put my thermarest in during walking/transport. I'd like something a bit more substantial than a bin liner!!

Anyone got any ideas? :rolleyes:

And where did you get a Karrimor Sabre 45 for £37?!!? :yikes:

Hi Phil,

It was an offer a couple of months ago, they may have some left. I have copied the original post at the end.

If you've got a bivvi bag, why not wrap your thermarest inside that?

Sabre 45 special offer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Endicotts in Devon have kindly offered bcuk members a special deal on PRI Saber 45’s.

They’re in American woodland camo (old pattern) and at an excellent price of £35 each. Not only that but you can get PLCE side pockets for £1 each (these are Olive)

To order call 01392 433331 and ask to speak to Kevin about the bcuk offer

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
"maybe i should start one "never done winter mountaining thinking of treking in the alps this xmas""

Hardly the same now, is it. Of course I've gone camping before, but this time I want to be better prepared for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE