Camping in kent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 30, 2008
kent
Hi, im 16 and live in Canterbury, Kent (south east england). A few friends of mine and myself share a passion for camping. However I dont like the idea of camping on specific tent and caravan camping sites. I have always loved nature and I like the 'ray mears' kind of survivalist idea about camping. I would like to know about the laws on camping in public woodland.

We obviously take good care of the area when camping and always clear up where we have been. We have had a few campfires in the past but have tried to keep them as small as possible, firstly to reduce the scorch damage to the earth but also to draw less attention to ourselves.

I have been told that camping in public land is illegal and I can understand why people wouldnt want teenagers camping on their private land but I dont see what the problem is with camping in public woodland. We aren't hurting anyone and we try to keep the area the same when we leave as when we arrived.

Could someone please give me some more information about the legal side of camping or even some good locations near Canterbury.

Many Thanks, Edward.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Welcome to BCUK Edward.

It is usually wise to try to gain permission to camp on public land, due to the way that land ownership works in the UK every scrap of land is owned by somebody. Gaining permission from a land owner can avoid those embarrassing "Gerr orf moi lannnnd!" incidents.

It may be time to get your responsible, well mannered, general good egg hat on and go and approach some land owners and ask for permission to camp. It may be wise to suggest that you don't want to have camp fires etc. due to fire risk. Also minimum impact etc etc.

I understand land access rights differ in Scotland, I cannot comment on them.

I often camp on common land, I know several members of the Commoners Association who run the land and they accept my, and other campers, presence as long as no damage is done.

It might be advisable to contact the local Forestry Commission Ranger and make an appointment to have a chat.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

Stewey.:D

Jun 30, 2008
kent
Hey Stewey,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure anyone would. I will bear what you said in mind, but how do I go about finding my local Forestry Commission Ranger ?

Thanks again, Edward

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
the other thing in Canterbury is come along to the next Kent meet - we meet up and camp at a site just on the edge of canterbury - with full permission.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE