Camping in East/Mid Lothian?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, everyone. I'm thinking of doing some solitary wild camping, but I can't seem to find any decent secluded woods in my area as it's one of the least wooded places in all of lowland Scotland. I've been thinking about camping in the Pentlands, but I want to make a traditional fire and to my knowledge there aren't many pockets of woodland. Other than that I can only think of Yellowcraig park as the forest there is good, but it's quite popular.

Any help?

Thanks.

Edit: Apparently there is woodland at a place called "the nail trail", but I can't seem to locate it.

Last edited:

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
If I remember rightly you shouldn't be to far from kielder forest park which is quite nice failing that you could hop on a train over to the trossachs.

N

Nomad

Kielder is right on the border, and the forest, proper, is on the English side, so not sure on what the deal would be with camping/fires or general bushy stuff. The problem with East and Mid Lothian is that it tends to be mostly farmland with towns not far away. There may be some small pockets of woodland that are a little further from the towns and villages, but I don't know the area well enough to suggest any.

I would tend to agree with heading to the Trossachs. No train straight there, but there is to Stirling, Bridge of Allan, and Dublane. Should be able to get a bus from any of those to Callander, from where it's not too much of a walk to the forest south of Loch Venachar. If driving or getting a lift, Edinburgh to Callander takes about an hour (assuming you aren't trying to get out of the town centre during evening rush hour!).

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Kielder is right on the border, and the forest, proper, is on the English side, so not sure on what the deal would be with camping/fires or general bushy stuff. The problem with East and Mid Lothian is that it tends to be mostly farmland with towns not far away. There may be some small pockets of woodland that are a little further from the towns and villages, but I don't know the area well enough to suggest any.

my bad, i shouldnt have been there then lol! theres always wauchope forest which should be just north of the modern scottish border. my definition of scotland is anything north of hadrians wall lol!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nail Trail's a signposted public footpath that runs up from the back side of Balerno up to East Riggs, near to Threipmuir reservoir.

Hope it helps my friend.

GB.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The beaches and coast between Pease bay and St Abbs has some excellent bays with driftwood and raised areas eell above thd spring tifd line, not forrest but quite a wild and in some respects, intimidating place.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The Pentlands can be a bleak, windy and very busy place.

As its close to Edinburgh you'll have to dodge cyclists, walkers and horse riders. Being close to Dreghorn and Redford barracks, what wooded areas are there are usually filled with cadets, TA and regular Army - not just at weekends.

Plenty of coastal woodland where I live, especially between Blackness and Cramond.

Give me a shout.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE