Camping in cold desert climate - sleeping bag/system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
No, that's the heavier one (the black one) you're thinking about. The lighter one (the green one) is very much a Summer bag. A very good Summer bag----but a Summer bag none-the-less.

That said, the black one alone isn't too, too bulky and might fit the OP's requirements.
I meant lighter in weight not colour..The Black bag goes down to -30.. I swear, It's like a episode of Soap in here at times..It's all so confusing..:lol:

Scrap that idea anyway. The price just jumped from £55 to £100. ??

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I've been to the desert in Oman and used my snugpak osprey, the day was up to 50C and fell to about 25C at night, (same temp range drop as you, and yes 26C does feel cold after 50C). So be prepared to be uncomfortable until you are acclimatised, which can take between 10-25 days - so if you are comfy at the start, you might be a bit chilly by the end of your time there. Layers are key, and most people have already come up with great ideas, liners and blankets (especially the local Alpaca ones) be prepared to become very popular if they turn out to be brilliant, might be a new business opportunity!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I meant lighter in weight not colour..The Black bag goes down to -30.......

I was talking in terms of weight also; the black bag (the intermediate) is the heavier of the two. The green bag (the lightweight) is the lighter/less bulky of the two.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
As an update to this I've recently purchased the following:

Klymit Static V insulated
Mountain Equipment Classic 750

Being down, the bag does say not to store it compressed, but surely it's impossible to travel with it unless it's compressed, it would fill a whole Bergen on its own otherwise.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
You can travel with it compressed, they mean dont leave it on the top of the wardrobe compressed until you go on another trip.
When you set up camp in the evening,give it plenty of time to loft up before you get in it,

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
One thing I don't get, and I've seen this on the Rab website too, is the comfort limit (I suppose this is for men) is higher than what the manufacturer says is a good nights sleep.

For example my bag says the comfort limit is -12c but Mountain Equipment say -15c is a good nights sleep. :confused:

P.S by the way the Klymit static V is just amazing for the price. So comfortable and packs down super small.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Never underestimate the effectiveness of a 45 second star jump/ jumping jacks routine or a little dance n warm up before you get into your sleeping bag........... seriously! :dancer:

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Damn it seems I'm back in the market for down sleeping bags again.

I have a Mountain Equipment Classic 750, and a Mountain Hardwear Ratio 15. Both are decent bags. The problem is that the r/h zip Mountain Equipment bag doesn't Zip to the l/h zip Mountain Hardware bag. Never had a problem getting different makes to zip together before as long as they use ykk zips, but on these bags both of the zipper pull are on the top, rather than one top and one bottom.

So I need a new down bag with the following:

Left or right zip with the zipper pull on the bottom
Limit -10 or more
Ideally blue, no purple or reds (don't ask)
1.5kg or less
Pack size 22x35 max
Price limit £180

Sigh

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are you taking a stove?
Don't underestimate the value of a hot water bottle in a sleeping bag. Even improvising and putting in a flask of hot water before going to bed (then taking it out before getting into your bag) can make a big difference to perceived comfort.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Yep.Gas and alcohol (backup stove).

I've sorted the bags now. I removed the zip stop from the Mountain Hardwear bag and placed the sliders on the bottom rung. I then ground down part of the bottom zip stop on the top rung.

Warranty void, but it means I can now zip the bags together.

Just need to sew a new zip stop on the bottom rung now to prevent the newly placed sliders from coming off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE