Camping for 3 days: What size rucksack would be best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Five

Jun 3, 2011
Birmingham
I'm new to bushcraft and am looking for some advice on the size/type of rucksack for 3 days in the English countryside. I'm working to a budget and looking for a cost-effective solution.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
If i was packing for a 3 day camp i would aim to use around a 50 liter pack.
It will change from person to person and what you do. Most space for many people is taken up with sleeping equipment like a tarp or tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, bivvy bag, hammocks and under blankets and so on. Whereas some people make their own shelter and sleeping arrangements so pack far less :)

I would put together a list of what you think you need and what your going to take and post it up here and you will get alot of help:D

Ben

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
As beenn said, a 50ltr bag is enough to hold a basic setup for an overnight or short trip. In my opinion the main question is what you will do for food and water. You can make do with one t-shirt for a few days. One tin of beans? If you have access to supplies while out and about then 50ltr is no problem. If you don't and you have to carry in everything then it may not be enough.

As a minimum your looking at 2ltr of water a day, which is 6ltr. If you are exerting yourself you'll need more. 1ltr of water is 1ltr in volume in the bag.

Food my be a litre or so in volume per day. This all depends on what type of food you take and how hungry you get. Dehydrated Is an option if you have access to water. If you don't then you may as well take hydrated food, as you would need to carry water to make up the hydrated meals anyway.

Good advice from been, post up your kit list and it'll help.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Give us a kit list and we can scrutinise it :)

The size of your pack is determined by what you're carrying really, not the other way round. Usually the bulkiest items are your shelter, clothing and sleeping insulation, if you can keep those small then it possible to do two nights with around a 25L pack

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
As beenn said, a 50ltr bag is enough to hold a basic setup for an overnight or short trip. In my opinion the main question is what you will do for food and water. You can make do with one t-shirt for a few days. One tin of beans? If you have access to supplies while out and about then 50ltr is no problem. If you don't and you have to carry in everything then it may not be enough.

As a minimum your looking at 2ltr of water a day, which is 6ltr. If you are exerting yourself you'll need more. 1ltr of water is 1ltr in volume in the bag.

Food my be a litre or so in volume per day. This all depends on what type of food you take and how hungry you get. Dehydrated Is an option if you have access to water. If you don't then you may as well take hydrated food, as you would need to carry water to make up the hydrated meals anyway.

Good advice from been, post up your kit list and it'll help.

Thats great advice, my food fits into a drysack for 3 nights and i only take 2 or 3 liters of water and i take a mill bank bag and boil the water. I take food out of the cans before i leave and put them into pour and store bags as its lighter, you can re use the bag so theres no rubbish and the food can be warmed through in the bag. Also i just dont have the money to buy the meals in bags like mountain wearhouse for £5 for breakfast, £5 for lunch and £5 for dinner as your looking at around £45 before you leave and the meals are not the best :)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Good idea ditching the cans, as long as your zip-lock backs are good and sturdy. The last thing you will want is you entire dry bag of food coated in the contents of 1 bag of beans. You can do the same with a home cooked meal (chilli or spag bols), far cheaper and far nicer that a bought boil in the bag meal, just dont leave it sitting at the bottom of the cuppboard for a year!!!

So you got food and water sussed out for quite minimal pack space. Whats your sleeping arrangement gonna be?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Good idea ditching the cans, as long as your zip-lock backs are good and sturdy. The last thing you will want is you entire dry bag of food coated in the contents of 1 bag of beans. You can do the same with a home cooked meal (chilli or spag bols), far cheaper and far nicer that a bought boil in the bag meal, just dont leave it sitting at the bottom of the cuppboard for a year!!!

So you got food and water sussed out for quite minimal pack space. Whats your sleeping arrangement gonna be?

If you mean me is not my post, but my sleeping arrangement is a british army basha, sleeping bag, and a self inflating mat strapped to the outside of my pack, My last trip (2 nights not 3) i took a 45 liter bag and had some extra space :)

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
just back from 3 days/2nights and had a 75 litre ruskcsack, inside was tarp, groundsheet, bivibag, sleep mat, goretex coat, billycans, 2x 1 litre siggs, food for 3 days (tins and BiB rice, choc and nuts), some field guides, 3 changes of socks/shorts/tshirts. FAK, meths and stove, knife, basic meds, and the ever essential bottle of tequila. only a 2 mile walk in to camp from the car though, so no great need to travel light, but did only want the one journey in/out

id say if you are only getting one rucksack, get one that you can adjust up and down (60l+15l for example) dotn go for one of these ultramacho military bergan things at 100L..... unless you are a squaddie that is being driving along by his squad and a grumpy NCO, you really will never carry that much. 75L is really the biggest you can go for any distance with any comfort

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just tell us what your thinking of taking and we will thin it out for you.

I use a 45ltr sabre with pockets thats 60ltrs and belive me thats a lot of room and when full can be bloody heavy.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I would recommend getting your kit together and find out what size pack you need to fit it in. Good outdoor shops will be happy for you to go in and try particularly if you go on a quiet day midweek. If you are on a budget then I'm guessing that all the rest of your kit is budget kit. Whilst budget kit is often perfectly good and usable it is generally more bulky than higher spec kit so you may need a bigger pack than people that have been at it years and have gradually accumulated smaller more compact kit.
For on over nighter I can get away with my 50+10 pack but for longer I would go for my 75. That said I like to have everything inside my pack and not have things strapped on the outside. With the tent and / or thermarest on the outside I could go smaller, maybe down to 35 for overnight.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Repacking canned goods into freezer bags is a good idea, but you have to be really careful. Opening the can compromises the sanitized nature of the food. Bacteria will get in. They should be frozen then packed in an insulating wrap (spare clothes, sleeping bag, whatever) for the trip out. Keep as cool as you can at camp (cover with wet cloth and hang in a breeze) . Believe me, you do not want a dose of E Coli.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bad idea ditching cans, especially in warmer weather, anything over @5c and its bacteria heaven, little buggers breed like crazy. Cans weigh nothing, keep the contents 'fresh' and its no big deal to bring empties home with you and never rely on the look, smell or taste of food as an indicator of freshness.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I would say 70 litres+, assuming you want a small tent, reasonably warm sleeping bag, comprehensive first aid kit and spare clothes in case you get went. If you make do with a small tarp, no spare clothes and a thinnish bag, then a 50 might do. I don't get this thing about having as small a rucksack as possible. Buy a bigger rucksack and then just don't fill it. Stuff dangling off the outside is going to get punctured / damaged / wet, especially inflatable roll mats, and snag on things. Just my perspective.

The other thing to beware of is buying too heavy a rucksack - useless pounds going on army-grade thick materials, unnecessary straps, adjustable back systems etc. I have a Karrimor Sabre 80-130 and the damn thing weighs about 10 pounds empty!

My current favourite is a minimalist Aiguille 50-60 litre, no frills or unnecessary straps and features, simple back system which fits like a glove, weighs very little.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE