Campfire stew

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
My camping food up til now has consisted of pot noodles so the time to rectify the situation is now.

I like stew but i have never cooked anything with more than 1 ingredient.

So what do i do?

Diced beef
Onion
Water
Carrot
Gravy granules?

Do i cook over flame or embers?

As i understand it a stew is like boiling but with less heat and for longer?

Some places say to start of hot then move the pot further away from heat. Is this right?

A burtonsville rig is the way to do.

Cheers

udamiano

On a new journey
I tend to brown the meat off first with a little Oil. then add the diced veg, water to cover, and a stock cube or three (depending on the size of the pot) and slow cook over embers for a couple of hours.
then add a nice ale (I use a well know Irish Stout), mix a little flour and water (to thinken the stew,only a table spoon) add to the pot leave for another couple of hours them wash down with some more of that Irish stout I mentioned :) yum yum
best served with friends

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Well we cheat! lol.
2 tins of each gives a VERY big stew thats pretty good in taste.
braised steak
value pots
carrots
peas
sweetcorn
anyother veg
Bung in a pot and bring to the boil. Simples!
I think that I got this from Rik_UK but not sure. Works well and if you start it off before putting up camp, its ready when the tent is up.
Alan

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I tend to brown the meat off first with a little Oil. then add the diced veg, water to cover, and a stock cube or three (depending on the size of the pot) and slow cook over embers for a couple of hours.
then add a nice ale (I use a well know Irish Stout), mix a little flour and water (to thinken the stew,only a table spoon) add to the pot leave for another couple of hours them wash down with some more of that Irish stout I mentioned :) yum yum
best served with friends

do you mean Guinness ?

promo-alt.jpg

:D

udamiano

On a new journey
lid on, especially on the fire, otherwise any bits of ash from the fire may add that extra bit of rustic charm, but no that much taste.
Ow yes the longer the better, just the occassional stir to keep an eye on things and to stop stuff sticking to the bottom. I tend to make a big pot and have it over a couple of days, keep it topped up with ale or even red wine (if your posh) and an extra bit or water.

OMG Dumplings !!!! How could I have forgot the dumplings :eek: ................

yes Rabbit is good to, and yes treat the rabbit the same as the beef (I dont waste time to de-bone, cut chop up in the pot)

dumpling receipe here

http://www.waitrose.com/content/wai...ory/b/beef_casserole_with_herb_dumplings.html

enjoy

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
When we do a real stew (not cheating) dumplings are a must!
My dad always amused me. If you made a really spicy cassarole with garlic and god knows what in it, if you called it a stew he would eat it and enjoy. But if you called it a cassarole, he would eat it then be ill. Even if you had only made a basic stew with nothing 'extra' in it!
Having said that, he could make a stew!
He used half shin and half skirt. It would take a min of five hours and no flour to thicken it. no he used pots cut small to 'go to lob'. Tasted fantastic. With a blob of HP and some fresh bread mmmmm.
Alas he is no more and so are his stews *sigh*
Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scottishwanderer they mean doughballs :)

Basically any kind of fat rubbed into some seasoned self raising flour, then add a wee bit water to make a dough. Pull off pudding spoonful sized lumps and drop them into your stew. Make sure there's a fair amount of liquid and the doughballs will cook in about 20minutes. They should be cake like texture in the middle and sappy with gravy on the outside.

Stew need not be expensive.
If you have the time and the fuel, long and slow and better the next day, is the way to go.

Stovies .....

Melt a wee bit fat or heat oil in the bottom of the pot. Add the bits of a peeled and chopped onion. Doesn't need to be wonderfully neat, just held in your hand and sliced up with your knife will do.
Cook until golden brown and savoury in the fat.
If you can find some ransoms when your out, add them now and stir them around quickly in the hot fat.

Next add what ever left over meaty bits of last nights dinner, or fresh stuff if you like, and some beef links. Stir well and keep everything moving. Add chopped up veggies; tatties, carrots, turnip, mushrooms, cabbage, whatever's at hand. Stir again and then add water or beer or stock ( some of the cheap 10cal cuppa soups are very good). Wine's acidy, not quite what you want for this and really wasted. Stew it slowly until all the veggies are cooked keeping it topped up with hot water as needed. By then the sausages will have sprouted at the ends probably too, but they'll be well cooked.
Season to taste, and if you want add the doughballs.
It's good food and a lot of eating. Works with leftovers, beef, rabbit, venison, pheasant, pork, hare, chicken, pigeon, turkey....whatever you have. It even works with fish.

I'm vegetarian and my stew that I make for me is as tasty without meat as those with. It's just practice and using what you have.

cheers,
Toddy

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Will do this tomorrow.

Put it on at 2 and it should be good for tea time.

Will be awesome to have a stew cooking on my rig, listening to the sounds of nature and the smell of earth, fire and hot food.

Carve a nice spoon while it's cooking.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
This thread is a bit like asking everyone how you like your coffee lol.
Ask 100 people and get 101 ways!
All are good. The main think is long and slow. The 'travellers' would just add what ever they had to the pot. Its a bit like a good curry. Takes time and almost always better the next day.
Alan

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Thanks toddy

Might give the doughballs a wee go.

The butcher is 5 mins away and he always seems to be hacking bits of fat of everything so i might get some.

If i've got spare meat might try stovies for dinner on sat.

Or i could dry the meat out near the fire add to fat and i'll have pemmican.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can do a quick cheat stew as in post #4 (no corn though) and its a easy first night meal.

For traditional stew I prefer to use Shin of Beef or Ox Tail which take a long slow cook but the flavour improves with time. If you have a good butcher get some chunks of neck of Lamb as it makes a superb stew, again cooked slowly.

IF you use them well, a pressure cooker is an absolute bonus and reduces cooking time and fuel massively at home or camp, highly recommended. Your two or three hour stew is 45-60 minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE