Campfire defender fire cover/tarp/reflector

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Looks like a bit of glass fibre cloth with a backing and eyelets. Similar idea as a welders blanket, not bad but i wouldn't pay that for it.

Tonyuk

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I've bought one. It's such a versatile bit of kit. If you happen to be on a campsite that doesn't allow fires.. I often find I can get away if just using small fires in box or dish firm exceptable and thus blanket goes a long way to hiding any evidence from other campers. It will be useful in the tentipi for fire control. £80 is reasonable for the safety element alone over a lifetime. Less wood required, more heat, more comfort and more control. If you have a woodburner stove at home or workshop. Keep/store it behind to reflect more heat

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
36"x36" fibre glass fire extinguishing cloth is $17 at my local hardware store. $140 is ridiculous.In the UK you can bushcraft and bank your fire with turfs - read any Ransome book to find out how.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
36"x36" fibre glass fire extinguishing cloth is $17 at my local hardware store. $140 is ridiculous.In the UK you can bushcraft and bank your fire with turfs - read any Ransome book to find out how.
I'm aware of the many methods of fire prep and control. Try digging up campsite turf on a Bank holiday and not every establishment will welcome fires ever again. it's a well designed tool and will have a place on many a family camping trip.
I bought one today via the link Ok it's £80 inc postage. For years I've been putting fire blankets (£1 from car boot sales) down on campsite ground before using any fire dish to burn. I've had more success and tolerance from the proprietors because I was taking extra steps to reduce risk and damage. To me the whole camping experience is greatly improved if Im only allowed to cook on a small open fire. If I'm allowed to keep the fire burning later into the evening without upsetting anyone, then even better. If other campers see you have gone to extra lengths to have a fire. They are less likely to tear up the beer box, snap a few branches and have their own fire outside their tent on the grass.
This £80 over the next ten years will probably amount to less than a £1 per camping trip. For that £1 if I can hide, prove extra precautions have been taken, short of carrying a fire bucket and fire extinguisher, it's a bargain. Yes a fire blanket can do the same, except reflect once scorched. But it will always be a fire blanket propped up on sticks. Each to their own.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE