Campfire cooking in tin cans

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hey guys, I've cooked up soup a few times for myself in the tin when pushed for time- but I'm cooking with a load of students in a few weeks and I've got a bit of a niggle in my head about the coating on the inside of soup cans. Am I right in thinking that there's a chance that whatever is used to stop the can from corroding will leach into the soup if put over a fire?

Cheers, joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There is always a chance that chemicals from the can lining "could" leach into the soup and therefore into your body, however,

.... If you are doing it as a business, there are a few things which you will have to take into account,

You owe them the due diligence of researching what that coating is made from and whether any reports have been made about it causing problems in the human food chain. I believe that you would be right to mention that the soup can be cooked in the can, but that it is up to the individual to decide what risks they wish to accept in their individual future behaviour.

If there is any doubt about it, you will be honour bound (through your risk assessments and best practise method statements) to do all that is "reasonably practicable" to minimise any risk to your customers.

You should also offer them a verbal warning that the soup they are about to eat will be hot - stupid I know, but it is the same reason that forces coffee shops to print the warning on their coffee cups! Without the warning they are in a position to claim against you if they injure themselves on something that is directly attributable to your actions.

Have fun

Ogri the trog

garethw

Settler
Hey guys, I've cooked up soup a few times for myself in the tin when pushed for time- but I'm cooking with a load of students in a few weeks and I've got a bit of a niggle in my head about the coating on the inside of soup cans. Am I right in thinking that there's a chance that whatever is used to stop the can from corroding will leach into the soup if put over a fire?

Cheers, joab

Others will no doubt chip in with precise info, but just a thought if you are cooking tinned food for more than just yourself, cooking a loads of tins will be really awkward... Surely its far easier to empty them all into a bigger pan or pot, so it will heat more evenly and quickly...
Otherwise placing a can in water 'bain marie' will probably be a better option, I use this method for microwave sachets of rice, and other foods when camping, it's not as fast as directly into a pan but saves on washing up.
cheers
Gareth

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks guys, aware of risk assessments etc, rather than me providing the food the guys have been tasked with bringing something to cook and a way of cooking it. I hadn't excluded soup in the can, but got to thinking on it this morning. Guess I'll take a whole heap of pans just in case! Cheers, joab

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its a sad bloody state of affairs when we have to warn people soup might be hot. If its really come to that I'd not bother running a course. Where does it end..."WARNING, LOG MAY CONTAIN SPLINTERS"...

caution-this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks guys, aware of risk assessments etc, rather than me providing the food the guys have been tasked with bringing something to cook and a way of cooking it. I hadn't excluded soup in the can, but got to thinking on it this morning. Guess I'll take a whole heap of pans just in case! Cheers, joab

Just a suggestion on the tin can theme.

Pop into your local cafe and ask if they've got any old baked bean tins. These are catering sized so will hold a decent amount and can easily be fitted with wire bails.

Then all you need to do is chuck them in the fire to burn off any nasty coatings on the inside before using as billys

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Its a sad bloody state of affairs when we have to warn people soup might be hot. If its really come to that I'd not bother running a course. Where does it end..."WARNING, LOG MAY CONTAIN SPLINTERS"...

caution-this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg

"Warning, this product may contain nuts", on my packet of peanuts :lol:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Just a suggestion on the tin can theme.

Pop into your local cafe and ask if they've got any old baked bean tins. These are catering sized so will hold a decent amount and can easily be fitted with wire bails.

Then all you need to do is chuck them in the fire to burn off any nasty coatings on the inside before using as billys

Brilliant! Funnily enough I've just picked up a load of catering bean tins for making rocket stoves- might press one of them into service!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Because peanuts aren't nuts, they're legumes. Some people are allergic to nuts but not peanuts

True, though I doubt the manufacturers credit the majority of us with having this knowledge and we're still dealing with a backside covering exercise.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
When we cook soup or stews at our forest school we use a Dutch oven, but let the students make the tripod and bail hook.
I've also picked up a few strainless steel coffee containers from local shops to use as billy cans. These are always donated by the shops so long as once a year they get some local media attention for supplying us.
ygyteqyp.jpg

ty4ypy2y.jpg

vadydy6y.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Also the coating is obviously oxidisation resistant and food safe, given that its metal and theres going to be a temprature limit of about 100¤c due to the targe ammount of water in all food cans, the metal will probably not leach, react or flake away, just don't boil it for ages.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Remember the soup has already been cooked in the can, all your doing is re-heating it. If the lining is unsafe to eat then we're all doomed!! You just might want to consider what level of heat you put under it, keep it gentle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE