Campfire abuse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clydeman

Aug 9, 2017
Glasgow
Hello all.....well what a nice day I had yesterday,according to two local dog walkers I need help for my mental health issues...oh and my dog was with me...after setting up a small campfire and being no expert I made sure all my wood was dry ,that I had a large stone to try direct smoke upwards,plenty venting etc etc etc
Bearing in mind I was about a mile and a half away from main path in woods these two fellows decided my smoke was causing there eyes and lungs to sting, and I was spoiling there walk....well after trying to explain the fire was only to boil some water and practise some bushcraft skills the abuse got so bad my Glasgow temper got a wee bit out of control and they decide that retreat at that point would be wise:mad:...so for me at least till I cool down its back to my triangia and smoke free meths.....anyone else had problems like this on forum..Oh and a man of my age 54 should not be out playing in the woods...:eek2:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Move on and ignore them.

One question I do have, and I genuinely don't know the answer, am I allowed to have a fire in a UK wood without getting express permission first? I know it's likely to be a civil matter but if you're an obsessively straight-laced individual what is the situation.

BTW OP I am not criticizing you. I believe it should be considered acceptable for responsible ppl to have a basic fire if they don't make it to big, are discrete and follow the strict practice of leaving no trace. It is a genuine enquiry that seems to also be relevant. I can see in your case you came across difficult ppl with too much self importance. Unless they're the landowner or their family / friends of course then what business is it of theirs?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
PS I used to know a glaswegian from a celtic area with a rangers dad. He had a temper worth avoiding! Guess that's what he needed to survive. I almost feel sorry for those busybodies! ;)

(BTW I'm using football reference for sectarian / religious divisions in case you didn't realise).

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
How big does a fire need to be to make some ones lungs to sting from 50 yds away. The OP was making a cuppa ( based on the fact he intends to go back to meths, he's not roasting a whole Cow) so there was no way the fire would have been "oversize". I also would have told them to put their head back up their bottom. "These woods are not for the likes of YOU people, your much too much working class."

Reactions: Mr Wolf and Kepis

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You do know you should be camping at a proper campsite with a gas stove and disposable bbq scorching the grass. Camping out in a wood. The very idea!

Anyone know a stealth fire technique? Isn't there something about burning in a fire with the smoke going underground pipe where it disperses? Think I saw a Ray mears thing showing it. If far enough from paths don't that while wearing cammo you'll not have any problems.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
That's the problem; a mile and a half isn't far enough to get clear of the busy-bodies!

Z

You hit the nail on the head there.

The amount of time i have set up camp seemingly miles from anyone...only to suffer the dreaded ''morning'' from sombody who drives 35 miles to take the dog a "walk''

Reactions: Insel Affen

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
You do know you should be camping at a proper campsite with a gas stove and disposable bbq scorching the grass. Camping out in a wood. The very idea!

Anyone know a stealth fire technique? Isn't there something about burning in a fire with the smoke going underground pipe where it disperses? Think I saw a Ray mears thing showing it. If far enough from paths don't that while wearing cammo you'll not have any problems.

I believe this example was occupied europe.
They used a long chimney system with greenage filters to avoid smoke detection

Bielski partisans if my memory serves me

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I was once shown a fire that was even more hard to detect than the Dakota method. I think it was known as Fire type Optium Utilization, Thermal. ..... Others said it was fire out.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Dakota fire pit. works well. Practice yie Glesga' kiss for the next time. It's amazing how some people complain and can;'t really back it up. Ask them what they do for a living and how they contribute to society and what they do for the community!!!1

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got told a story about a Glasgow guy in a dodgy south American country who a gang tried to mug in a park. The first guy walked up to him got a couple of words out before the kiss came. No messing! No trouble! He just walked off wiping someone else's blood of.

Not saying that's the answer to everything...;)

clydeman

Aug 9, 2017
Glasgow
:) hello,well today went to same spot,got out my radio turned it up full blast,made a huge bonfire and scattered all my tins and bottles everywhere and hacked down a few trees for fun.....and guess what no one came near:rage:.....only joking of course:).....not looking for praise or medals, but 9 out 10 times when coming from forest near houses etc, I have a bag of cans or bottles that have been carried in full and left empty on forest floor...anyway I only use the Glasgow kiss when I have my camoflauge bandana on, as it acts as a silencer:banghead:....only joking like many outdoors folk just want peace and quiet and no hassle from anyone and most bushcrafter types I come across are friendly and enjoy a chat about our great hobbie;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not having been there I don't know what your fire was like, and I am sorry to hear you had a confrontation, but...

I do know that at this time of year "dry" wood in the woods is often not that dry, the cold damp air tends to make smoke stay near the ground rather than it all rising clear into the sky, and some people are indeed sensitive to smoke. My mum has problems with whatever comes out of chimneys from "smokeless" fuel. She cannot stay out in the garden if someone 70yds upwind is burning the stuff. Messes with her breathing and heart rate. She has also complained about smoke from damp pine and spruce.

Of course, having tramped up wind to find your fire, your walker "friends" had already had that part of their walk ruined, but on the bright side, they can now keep hiking up wind and be free and clear of smoke :D

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
You could try taking your hat off then talking to your mother in it (al-la Obidiah Hakwell) , they may move on pretty 'Sharp'ish (Puns intended).

If it were me, I'd just agree with them, nod, smile and wait for them to go then ignore them. If Rozzers tip up, you could say they were acting suspiciously.

Greenbeard

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
North yorkshire
Its such a shame such ignorant folk are about to give honest people who are enjoying the outside like they are a hard time, the other weekend I was canoeing with a mate and this fisherman was hurling abuse at us. its hard to love fellow humans sometimes haha.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
Shame your outing was spoiled.....

I've also thought i was in the middle of nowhere, and been woken up early morning by someones dog while bivvying. The chap who's dog it was wouldn't call the dog back, and seemed to find it funny I was being barked at in my bag, half asleep. He didnt find it funny when I got up, marched at him and told him where to go, sharpish!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE