Campcraft questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Right. 3 days of research and reccomendations has lead me to this:

DD Tarp 3m x 3m

Gelert X-Treme Lite 1200 Sleeping Bag - Green/Silver Grey, Right Zip

BA Goretex Bivvy Bag

BCUK member 'Crosslandkelly' stove and can set up for free.

Mess tins and other miscellaneous cooking gear

It's buying time. ;)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Right. 3 days of research and reccomendations has lead me to this:

DD Tarp 3m x 3m

Gelert X-Treme Lite 1200 Sleeping Bag - Green/Silver Grey, Right Zip

BA Goretex Bivvy Bag

BCUK member 'Crosslandkelly' stove and can set up for free.

Mess tins and other miscellaneous cooking gear

It's buying time. ;)

So what mat will it be? And please post a picture of all your gear assambled when you have it all! :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
So what mat will it be? And please post a picture of all your gear assambled when you have it all! :)

Oh, sorry. I thought I included that. It's still going to be the very cheap Yellowstone camping mat because I do want to save some money, especially since I need to buy a rucksack. I'm hoping all of this will pay for itself in the future. :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am camper that uses may ways to get out there and play, and practice them all the time,

For shelter/sleep
Mostly a Tarp, I am not a great lover of tents, Sleep wise I am mostly more into ground dwelling now, find Hammocks make me pee too much, I dont at home, or when I am on the ground or on a camp bed..sometimes wool blankets, sometimes bed roll, sometime sleeping bags.

Cooking and food
Mostly I use a fire for cooking over do have meths and gas stoves. for cooking in,mess tin's , Murket, old tin cans, dutch ovens, and sometimes just from sticks or on the log's around the fire. I have a utensil roll taht put some Kitchens to shame that I sometimes take, sometimes its just a Svord and a wooden spoon

Food I eat as I do at home, all the guys find it funny that I carry a big Yellow Box of assorts of food when car camping, I also liek trying teh older boonie type recipies... you can for get teh boil in bag's I hate them and will only use them if I have to.... get to know the skill of cooking out doors on a fire , there is nowt like it when you taste it :).

Dont over think camping try all the ways some you will like and some you will not... at the next Suffolk Meet I am thinking a full Boonie one getting ready for the 4 Night Boone Challenge :).. so will be bed roll, blankets for bedding and a few old recipies cooked in a murket, over a fire.. maybe off an wooden plate/bowl, with a spoon that I carved...

Try it all mate :).. have fun

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One thing I do take is a small flask...

just before bed warm it up with some Biling water let it stand for a few mins, or while you keep the water boiling, tip out the hot water, make a cup of coffe in the flask.. wrap it up well, in the spare clothing you dont sleep in..

in the moring reach out your pit...grab hold of the flask.. open and pour... enjoy a warm drink with out having to wait for water to boil... :)

also if you need a quick hot drink in the middle of the night you have one :)....

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hm, well, I was simply going to go for this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Arm...1395659907&sr=8-1&keywords=Gore-tex+bivvy+bag

Edit: I prefer buying from Amazon. Usually they have great service and quick delivery, but perhaps I should look for a cheaper version?

As far as I know the DPM version is usually the large size and £30 is a good price.

Don't rule out other suppliers though.

For example Endicotts are a great company to deal with and I seriously doubt you'll have anyone on the forum say don't buy from them. You can pick the phone up and tell them what you're after an they'll do all they can to help you.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just used my BA bivvy bag this weekend and I'm so glad I added a zip to it.
Nothing worse than trying to shuffle all the way down through the opening.

If you get the large one you will have enough room to get your sleep mat inside, that way you don't roll off it in the night.
Also doesn't squash your bags lofting.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
3mm Paracord is best, but anything will do, I've used jute twine in the past. I don't remember the DD having guide lines when I got mine. Paracord is always a handy thing to have in your pack.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Will the guylines supplied with the DD tarp be enough, do you reckon or should I buy paracord? Will any do or does it have to be specific?

2mm climbing accessory cord is nice stuff to use, usually around 30-40p a metre from most outdoorsy shops.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
My twopence worth.....

IF you're intending to use sleeping kit JUST for bushy activities then go buy surplus stuff.
A foam roll may is ideal and as mentioned won't be affected by embers and tough as nails - cheap to buy and use for years. Get an arctic bag for autumn winter spring use and maybe down the line, invest in a jungle bag if you run hot at night. As for bivi bags, great kit but would benefit from a zip down the centre line for ease of ingress/ egress. I've seen a mate years ago literally cut himself out of an issue bivi bag whilst getting a touch claustrophobic at dawn! If you decide to put the roll mat inside, then get a groundsheet to help the gore text not get punctured. All is rather inexpensive in comparison to branded goods specifically for walking: mountaineering where weight costs time and energy.

Happy for you to pm me if stuck bud; it can get expensive! My last count was 5 bags, 2 bivi bags and various roll mats and thermorests for differing conditions

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
Thought I might add to this thread also.. regarding mats, I use both. A foam roll mat for insulation and an inflatable half-length mat. I need the padding beneath my shoulders as I am a skinny little fella :)
Can't suggest a sleeping bag as mine is well over 14 years old and going strong but I doubt they are made anymore. It is a Keppel 3 season bag bought for 80 dollars in the outback.. bloody warm too.
Will be good to see how you get on with the tarp as I am switching from my little tent to a tarp this year also.

THOaken, regarding the paracord.. I believe Endicotts are having a special offer for March.. called mad-marchness and were giving away paracord (8 stranded).

Cheers, Mack13

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE