Camp Cookery day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I dunno, there's something not quite right about stocking up in a supermarket, and driving out to the woods to cook and eat it.

It's a bit like busting for a cr@p, driving out to the woods to dig a hole to 'do it' then driving back home again - but then perhaps you blokes do do that!
;^)

Sounds fun - though not for me as I'm a vegetarian (are we allowed to use the 'v' word on this forum?).

Jim
Well here we go Jim to put your mind at rest,

The lamb was bought at a local butcher which is locally reared, the fish was caught by big davy, the stew was carrots onions and potatoes grown by Davy, the pheasant was caught by Phil, and the chicken was brought by paul again from a local butcher using locally reared stock. If you mean the flour and sultanas well they were purchased by me at the local shop, unfortunately i haven't found a mill round here that sells flour to the public and grapes dont grow locally here either something to with the weather. It must be great to have soo much growing where you live that you can survive totally from the wild, as for us we have to make do with what we have! As for us having to crap outside i dont mind but as gary says we do have toilets over here, and guess what they are inside! Although i expect you remarks are because you saw the leg of lamb and that has upset your poor Veggie stomach if this is the case im sorry, if not then dont be a Ballbag mate!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a good weekend lads, I must have missed this first time round.

The NIBA website's looking good chaps, how do I become a member so I can get that avatar ? ;)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Do you only eat stuff you find in the woods when you go out?

I suppose it's that I have a totally opposite emphasis when I go trecking! Food for me when I'm out is a major inconvenience - I have to carry it and prepare it. I've tried hoodia, which is an appetite suppresor that the Kalahari Bushmen use (you can get it in pill form - you don't have to forage for the hoodia cactus!), but it didn't seem to work.

Jim

M

Mouldsy

I suppose it's that I have a totally opposite emphasis when I go trecking! Food for me when I'm out is a major inconvenience - I have to carry it and prepare it. I've tried hoodia, which is an appetite suppresor that the Kalahari Bushmen use (you can get it in pill form - you don't have to forage for the hoodia cactus!), but it didn't seem to work.

Jim

If trekking is your thing and you enjoy what you do then go for it, even if it mean's starving your body of food, which in return turn's to energy that you need for treking,but like I said if that is your thing then go for it.
However what we do as a group is called bushcraft which invovle's cooking outside over an open fire or in a firepit and is one of the skill's for bushcraft which we practice as often as we can as a group, on this day we had a few new member's join us and instead of us all going our seperate way's and I.Ding wild edible's or looking at nature, we dicided it would be better for us to have a cook out and do something where we could stand and chat and get to know the new member's, which involved bringing a few shop bought item's which we thought would make a nice meal for us all.
Personally I would rather eat something that I knew what was put into it rather than ram some pill down my throat which was processed in a lab to try to stop me from eating ,which by the way is not natural as your body needs food to function.
But like I said if trekking up a mountain starving yourself is your thing I won't knock you for doing it, but can I ask you not to knock something that we as a group enjoy doing on a regular basis which involve's cooking food and enjoying eating it.
Maybe you should try it sometime you never know you might even need to cr@p in the wood's sometime.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Part of the fun of camping in the woods is cooking great meals and as I'm not a fan of rabbit, pine needles or nettles I'm afraid its off to the woods via Lidl or Tesco for me:rolleyes:

I dunno, there's something not quite right about stocking up in a supermarket, and driving out to the woods to cook and eat it.

It's a bit like busting for a cr@p, driving out to the woods to dig a hole to 'do it' then driving back home again - but then perhaps you blokes do do that!
;^)

Sounds fun - though not for me as I'm a vegetarian (are we allowed to use the 'v' word on this forum?).

Jim

Each to their own... why are you on this forum if what you do is not bushcraft, it certainly doesn't sound like it, treking up hills and popping pills sounds about as far removed from bushcraft as is possible to get, cooking outdoors, communing with friends and revelling in what nature provides is what Bushcraft is all about to me, and yes we eat meat, as our ancestors did and this is how we progressed to the top of the evolutionary ladder, all top of the food chain animals on the planet are meat eaters..but you're lucky, if the pills don't work when you're out you can always nibble on a tree, personally I would find that rather unpalatable and would much rather dine on some fish, lamb, chicken or pheasant! However you gain your pleasure the way you find fulfilling, and we gain it the proper way.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
can I ask you not to knock something that we as a group enjoy doing on a regular basis which involve's cooking food and enjoying eating it.

I'm not knocking what you do - I'm just ironicaly noting that whilst we all love the outdoor life, we approach it from opposite directions.

Jim

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
all top of the food chain animals on the planet are meat eaters.

Tell that to a silverback gorilla!
;^)

if the pills don't work when you're out you can always nibble on a tree, personally I would find that rather unpalatable

Yeah, I've tried nibbling raw reindeer moss - it was a bit like scotchbrite!

However you gain your pleasure the way you find fulfilling, and we gain it the proper way.

So who's decided that your way is 'the proper way'?

The hunter/gatherer way would be to eat anything remotely edible that comes along - caterpillars, ants, slugs, worms etc. - and also picking flakes of dead skin off your mates!
;^)

Jim

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
I have spent time in the woods, I have foraged, looked under dead fallen logs, looked in the leaf litter, under rocks. In all that time I have not found a Lidl smoked Salami the best bushcraft food in the wild. So I just pop into Lidl on my way out and enjoy it when I get there over an open fire.

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
In that case Lore you are looking in totally the wrong place. In my neck of the woods we have them growing from trees and can even find a few silverback gorillas handing out a few behind the run down scout hut.

Which leads me nicely onto the next point of that the gorillas aren't so much top of the food chain...Just exempt from it, as everybody else bar a maniac with a high powered rifle is too terrified to hunt them.

In that case Lore you are looking in totally the wrong place. In my neck of the woods we have them growing from trees and can even find a few silverback gorillas handing out a few behind the run down scout hut.

Which leads me nicely onto the next point of that the gorillas aren't so much top of the food chain...Just exempt from it, as everybody else bar a maniac with a high powered rifle is too terrified to hunt them.

Every living thing on the planet is part of the food chain and Gorillas haven't only been taken with Rifles..other primitive technology has taken them too, maybe because they don't have the brain capacity to recognise those tools of their destruction, because they're not top of the food chain!!;)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Mmmmmmmmm... *salivates....

You have no idea what I wouldn't give to have been there! :D

You guys have however inspired me to do something similar round here, will sound out the natives, but be warned, I may well be pm-ing you with random requests for advice.

As for the debate... I was veggie for 15 years. I decided to start eating meat again 5 years ago, when I started changing my whole lifestyle to be more natural. I decided that my main problem was with intensive farming methods and big multi-national companies exploiting the environment in order to produce c**ppy food.

I think some locally reared, free-range/organic or (preferably for me) wild meat is a feast fit for kings! (and queens ;) )

Also being veggie would have in no way stopped me from participating in and enjoying such an amazing day out, I just would've had to be a little imaginitive when deciding what my contribution could be! Oh and there are a lot of trees and plants around that are REALLY good to nibble on :D I do find it hard to get my head around the idea of food being an "inconvenience", but I guess that as I cook for a living, that would be a bit alien to me...

Once again Celt_Ginger, thanks for the inspiration :)

Mmmmmmmmm... *salivates....

You have no idea what I wouldn't give to have been there! :D

You guys have however inspired me to do something similar round here, will sound out the natives, but be warned, I may well be pm-ing you with random requests for advice.

As for the debate... I was veggie for 15 years. I decided to start eating meat again 5 years ago, when I started changing my whole lifestyle to be more natural. I decided that my main problem was with intensive farming methods and big multi-national companies exploiting the environment in order to produce c**ppy food.

I think some locally reared, free-range/organic or (preferably for me) wild meat is a feast fit for kings! (and queens ;) )

Also being veggie would have in no way stopped me from participating in and enjoying such an amazing day out, I just would've had to be a little imaginitive when deciding what my contribution could be! Oh and there are a lot of trees and plants around that are REALLY good to nibble on :D I do find it hard to get my head around the idea of food being an "inconvenience", but I guess that as I cook for a living, that would be a bit alien to me...

Once again Celt_Ginger, thanks for the inspiration :)

That was a very sensible, well thought out and rational post, thankyou...I'm sure there will be another wild food /camp cookery day soon, I know CG has already mentioned the subject. Mouldsy ,Combatblade1 and Celt-ginger come up with some great ideas for these days out, they're always a challenge, always get you thinking and most importantly when the day is over I have always found that I come away knowing more, understanding better and being more capable than I was before, a great learning experience.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I love the idea of a cook out day and it looked fantastic lads well done. I wonder if any of the locals around here would be up for a bit of the same.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Interesting to note that the price of organic stuff has dropped a lot in the big stores, just shows how much the likes of Tesco were charging in the first place and the profit they made from the 'greenies' soft enough to pay the inflated prices.

I've no objection to "two for a fiver" Chickens, at the end of the day its meat and I like it.

Before anyone moans, two factory chickens make a nice meal, but I'll pay top dollar for well hung meat, it all depends on my menu that day:)

M

Mouldsy

no harm in two for a fiver mate, if your like me and have a family to feed they come in handy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE