Camera bag recomendations

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
how about getting a smaller camera bag and then put that in a bigger bag along with your other stuff ?
for a camera bag i would go for a lowepro one, if you get an AW model it comes with a raincover
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
leon-b said:
how about getting a smaller camera bag and then put that in a bigger bag along with your other stuff ?
for a camera bag i would go for a lowepro one, if you get an AW model it comes with a raincover
leon
lol, that was just about what I was gonna suggest Leon...And I agree with Lowepro too, though I have a Crumpler bag, and thats just as good...

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Jon Pickett said:
lol, that was just about what I was gonna suggest Leon...And I agree with Lowepro too, though I have a Crumpler bag, and thats just as good...

That is what I am doing at the moment but it is turning out to be a pain in the *****

Will keep looking thanks for the advice!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Pignut said:
That is what I am doing at the moment but it is turning out to be a pain in the *****

Will keep looking thanks for the advice!
Yes, I know, same for me, but if you put your nice expensive camera in with your kit, it will get damaged and dusty....I use a gas mask bag and chuck all my stuff in that, but only put my old camera in there as my good one got really dusty. I have just bought an aqua bag for my mobile (builders and phones ain't good), its basicly a heavy duty plastic bag that seals up, so its water tight, maybe something like that may help you...
That gadget bag might have a seperate compartment you could just keep your camera in, that would be much better..

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I would recommend Lowepro gear as well, i have one too. With the built in all weather cover and good construction they take some beating.

Singteck- Billingham are still around and stil make top of the range gear. I used to have a 550 huge monster of a thing. People do still use them but after having things like Lowepro rucksacks and the like they make carrying your gear so much easier and more comfortable than having such a heavy weight dangleing off your shoulder. I used to get lovely red marks around my shoulders and neck and a serious ache. Not a thing with a Lowepro :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
singteck said:
How come I don't hear about Billingham anymore???

I quite like them.

singteck

God bless Billingham.

I worked as a Phot for many years and wouldn’t have been without my trusty Billingham.

I couldn’t find a link to them, but this at least shows them, http://kohscamera.com/billingham.htm

They are probably your most bushcrafty looking bag and are designed to last till the end of time (Had mine run over by a bulldozer, it flattened my Hasselblad but the bag was fine). The good thing about them, compared to most, is that they are designed to be used and carried open. Most bags you have to shut before you can carry them.

They’re great check one out.

AJB

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
I've got a Crumpler, which is great, well made but a little pricey. For what its worth I think my one is really better designed for an urban environment rather than the great out doors but it is one of the big backpacks.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
singteck said:
How come I don't hear about Billingham anymore???

I quite like them.

singteck

Because Billingham don't need to advertise much anymore.

I have 4 Billingham bags and they just go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on..... Get the idea.... ;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
This is the Billingham home page

http://www.billingham.co.uk/home.asp

They were really big in the eighties and many pros had them but I never liked them much. I went against the flow and bought a Pro Tamrac bag instead for around the same price and I've still got it and still use it.

Both Lowe Pro and Tamrac do pro quality and lesser quality bags; rule of thumb is the more expensive they are the better the materials that were used.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have a couple of Billingham bags that I find very nice for day rambling with a small selection of lenses and one camera body.

Schwert_Blogmorn2.jpg

But the bag I think more fits your request is a LowePro Street and Field bag. The whole lower compartment is for camera gear with dividers etc. The top is an open area for other kit....lunch, jacket etc fits quite well. This bag is not large enough for anything but a day walk though.

Not the greatest view of it...

darkclotht41083fm7.jpg

yellowstonepoolt41121xx5.jpg

I have many Lowe camera bags and all of them are first rate. I recently bought a Mountainsmith camera bag that is my current one, but it does not have any spare room for much other than a jacket a couple of water bottles and maybe a lunch, as I carry a pretty wide selection of camera gear.

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
This site has some great pictures detailing different models of camera bags:

http://www.taschenfreak.de/indexliste.htm

Its in German, but it is a good resource compared to the manufacturers normal images of their products.

I've used Billingham, Lowepro and Crumpler camera bags for years. All make great bags - I think my Billinghams have 50 years of use left in them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE