Calling veg gardeners - strawberry problem

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hi all - I was wondering if anyone could tell me what im doing wrong with my strawberrys....

For the last 3 years I have grown strawberrys in a fairly deep hanging basket. I usually buy small plants from a garden centre, and plant in a mixture of farmyard manure and multi purpose compost.

In the first 8 weeks or so the strawberrys come thick and fast, with fairly large juicy fruits, but after this the leaves seem to go a bit of a paler green, and crinkle slightly, and the rate that the fruits appear is reduced massively, and the fruits then tend to be smaller.

Any suggestions anyone? I read in my Jamie Oliver book that you should avoid feeding them, as this tends to make large fruits, but they tend to be rather tasteless?

Cheers

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I always thought the season for strawberries was quite short.
If you're getting 8 weeks then I would say you're doing alright!
Each plant should be replaced every 3 years IIRC, otherwise they get too old - apparently a 3 year old perenial is too old!

Mark

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Yup, 8 weeks is a very respectabel length of season. After that the plants should be putting energy into producing more runners.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Also change every three years because they get a lot more suseptible to disease (they are usually burned off after three years to destroy all disease etc).
Told to me by a local grower (one of the largest in the UK)

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I thought a large commercial grower would be doing the whole keep them in the fridge and replant every six weeks for year round production type thing. Could be done at home to I suppose.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i would still feed them too i feed my strawberrys with tomato food with no negative effects, but if your worried after youve cropped them feed them a liquid feed for vegetative growth so they face the winter well fed and will have strong roots. As said above pot on runners and replace every 3 years or so. I mainly grow alpine and "wild" variety as well as bolero for something bigger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE