Calling Ozzy members!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Well people, I need help.

I have come to the oracle that is BCUK, fount of all knowledge...:notworthy Someone fill me in on the rules/dangers/pitfalls etc. involved in wild camping in Oz?

I'm going in Jan, for my Dad's wedding, and he's paying for flights and a week in a s/c appartment with my siblings in Darwin, but as it's rather too big an opportunity to miss, I thought I'd extend my stay and see what down-under has to offer.

Unfortunately, having never been there, I have not a clue what the area's like, what the legalitys are or ANYTHING.

HELP!!!!:puppy_dog

I will be skint, and travelling alone (female) with my 8 yr old. have camped out in various places (Ecuadorian jungle, southern Africa etc.) so it's not so scary, but I had experience or guidance on previous trips, and I think I'll be on me own this time, Dad being rather taken up with getting married and stuff...:rolleyes:

CHEERS! :D

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Well people, I need help.

I have come to the oracle that is BCUK, fount of all knowledge...:notworthy Someone fill me in on the rules/dangers/pitfalls etc. involved in wild camping in Oz?

I'm going in Jan, for my Dad's wedding, and he's paying for flights and a week in a s/c appartment with my siblings in Darwin, but as it's rather too big an opportunity to miss, I thought I'd extend my stay and see what down-under has to offer.

Unfortunately, having never been there, I have not a clue what the area's like, what the legalitys are or ANYTHING.

HELP!!!!:puppy_dog

I will be skint, and travelling alone (female) with my 8 yr old. have camped out in various places (Ecuadorian jungle, southern Africa etc.) so it's not so scary, but I had experience or guidance on previous trips, and I think I'll be on me own this time, Dad being rather taken up with getting married and stuff...:rolleyes:

CHEERS! :D

Well Australia is such a large place it depends where you intend to camp and what type of experience you are after; desert, rainforest, mountain etc. Also will you have transport (4x4) to get around or will you be limited to public transport. You mention that you will be in Darwin do you intend to stay in this area or travel further afield.

Oh yeah, January in the tropics will be exceptionally hot and humid and in the central parts of Australia just very hot, so not the best time of year to travel in those areas (but people still do). Also it will be the monsoon period up north which will limit some of your options as some roads will be impassable. Good time of year to visit central and southern East coast of Australia and tasmania.

For arid outback exploration/camping there is a great download on the bushcraftuk site under downloads called Aids to Survival produced by the Western Australian police academy. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/aids22.pdf

If you provide a few more details it will be easier for myself and/or other antipodeans to assist.

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
Which bits of Australia are you planning on visiting?

Forget the east coast and Tassie, the west is obviously the best (just don't tell everyone) but in January it would be advisable to stick to the SW corner as temperatures can get quite high.

The rules on camping depend on where you are and who the land belongs to. Camping is allowed in a lot of the state forests of the south west of WA and there are many simple camp sites, offering cleared tent sites, table, fire rings and long drop loos for a small fee, usually collected via an honesty system. Fires are definately out in summer however due to fire bans.

Some books are available on free camping in WA, see
http://www.free-camping-australia.com/index.html
for details.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE