Calling Mr Wood and other tree experts!

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
I think this is called Sabine
Looking it up comes up with.... Juniper
Are they the same? and can carved items be safely used as cooking tools?

few pics and a carving from a bit of it:)
Entitled 'a woman's love'
Carved as a cello
Standing it up as a woman
and when she plays her music, she fills her man's heart with love! you might have to use a bit of imagination on this one. Heart 'bowl' closest to top!
I am staggered by the beauty of the grain- beats prunus hands down!

20130213_105625_zps1d9309eb.jpg

20130213_105707_zps8d4de376.jpg

20130314_165217_zpsbe31caae.jpg

Last edited:

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for nice comments. I forgot to mention that the wood has a very strong and pleasant smokey piney smell.
I looked 'wellingtonia' aka sequoia and I don't think that is one. Too small and wrong leaves.
Only very close similarity so far is the juniper.
Is that one food safe?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Any chance of a close up picture of the cones we can see on the branches? Close up of leaf/needle form would be good too.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Don't know if Juniper wood is food safe, but of course berries are used in cooking, great in stews.

I have used juniper branches in a smoker, to smoke fish - which I was shown by an elderly Swedish relative.

And the berries are used for flavouring gin I believe

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
sorry the trees are a loooong way from home and live in hot countries by the seaside! I have no other photos, just some wood :0) for more carvings
I've been comparing trees for hours on the web and it all keeps coming back to a 'variation' of the Juniper tree.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
'Sok Bert,

Would've made ID easier that's all. I'm leaning on the juniper but not sure what type.

Sorry,
GB.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
thank you Dread
Ah HA!!
Mystery might be solved- I reckon it's this although I did not see any pine nuts anywhere.
Am sooooo glad I brought of this outwardly looking scruffy tree! that grain makes it all worthwhile !:eek:

so 1 question remains- do you reckon it's 'safe' i.e contains no toxins waiting to raid my stomach if I use spoons made of this on food??

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not sure Bert, Pinus sabiniana has needles in bunches (fascicles) of three, where as the tree in the pic has scale form leaves. Also the fruit form and size is wrong and the barks differ a lot with the pine nut being smoother - more like Scots pine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE