Calling all wine drinkers

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Doc said:
There really could be a market for 'expedition whisky' or 'Mountain Port' if it was sold in lightweight crushproof plastic containers in smallish (200ml?) quantities.

Have a look here http://www.stroh.co.uk/stroh/produkte/index.html this stuff is 160 proof and if I recall correctly used to be advertised by Reinholdt Messner as being the best stuff to take into the mountains as you could carry less of it for the same effect!

I've used this stuff for blowing flames with - it's seriously strong!:eek:

george

M

magicaltrevor

Phil562 said:
They look pretty handy, just done a quick google can't find a UK supplier yet :rolleyes:

I suspect a BCUK bulk buy for the BCUK Wine & Port Connoisseurs Club.

So we need a news Forum section for the BCUKWPCC. Maybe we'll let the single malt crew in as well!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
My mate bought a small bottle of Stroh in austria. At the airport, the customs chap refused to allow him through because it is too strong for air transport.
He decided to drink as much as possible before handing it over, as he was indignant about paying for something he couldn't have. He phoned me a few minutes later, and i could hear him getting more and more drunk as we spoke. :lmao:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Stroh seems interesting stuff - I daresay it could also be pressed into use as an antiseptic and fuel for the Trangia...

Group buy, anyone?

aquanaut

Apr 19, 2005
Hebrides
take a canoe like I do and upgrade the glass bottle to a box (or 2) - lighter (relatively), much easier to pack out, resealable, more wine - is there a down side? nope :p

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
ooh STROH 80!! its fantastic stuff.

a rather aquired taste though. my dad hooked me on the stuff, but its not all that common in my local watering holes.

thnakfully i've found a few bars in leeds that do it to....but then i usually just opt for Wray & Nephews Overproof (63%). another potent spirit i enjoy to drink (not overly palatable without a couple of slices of lime on cola tho).

Anyone heard of JB rum? :D :D :D

Port tho jolly good. I think thresher's are doing six bottles of Taylor's for £25.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
If you've got a one litre flask... mix 75cl claret and 25cl of the best cognac you can afford. Makes a really quite lovely warming drink. Known side-effects are loss of feeling in the legs and inability to focus :D

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Now i found the answer to that eternal burning question, whats the difference between Survivalism and Bushcraft?.

Survival=Hacking your way through the wilderness,fighting off malaria, ticks and leeches,filtering water through your boxer shorts that you've had on for 3 weeks.

Bushcraft=Port,cognac or a fine bottle of claret,maybe a nice piece of stilton and water biscuits around a warm fire with only the finest of company!!! :D

Ok i had better :theyareon now before i get a :nutkick:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Aha... Just found these . Stainless steel and the biggest is 800ml, just about right.

t_DrinksBottles.jpg

Ok the link doesn't go all the way but go to "Food and Drink", then "Flasks and Bottles".

Post script... Upon arrrival these bottles turned out to be aluminium. There are several suppliers listing them as SS but it appears the manufacturer has mislabled them.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
magicaltrevor said:
After many years of deciding on the most suitable drink for an evening bushcrafting. I decided on the following:

twice the strength. Also a half bottle of Port gets you just merry enough to still know what your doing.

Yes, yes, I've put a lot of thought into it! :D

lol, reminds me of a guy i know who, when a very very poor engineering student, calculated that the cheapest way to get drunk was to drink dirt cheap sherry. The favoured method of application for maximum effect - a baby's bottle :rolleyes: On top of that, the trick was to stay active, buzzing about to get the blood floowing :1244:

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
stuart f said:
Now i found the answer to that eternal burning question, whats the difference between Survivalism and Bushcraft?.

Survival=Hacking your way through the wilderness,fighting off malaria, ticks and leeches,filtering water through your boxer shorts that you've had on for 3 weeks.

Bushcraft=Port,cognac or a fine bottle of claret,maybe a nice piece of stilton and water biscuits around a warm fire with only the finest of company!!! :D

What is that old rule of bushcraft? "Minimum effort, maximum gain" :lmao:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I haven't seen sachets of whisky, but I have seen sachets of vodka :yuck: in Tesco . I gather it's popular amongst the squaddies on assignment in 'dry' countries as it gets in neatly under the radar via BFPO...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Back on to the subject of carrying the wine ...

Anyone ever used a Platypus for it?
It feels like sacrilege to put wine into another container other than a glass bottle ...
But unfortunately travelling demands a lighter but sturdy alternative :rolleyes:

:beerchug:

Aug 9, 2005
Likewise I'm partial to the odd noggin on the trail - as is my gal. Whisky is carried in an aluminium Sigg-style bottle, and Wine is carried in a platypus: Platypus is a good way of carrying wine, as you can force all the air out which stops the wine going off.

Whisky, wine and a fire - what could be better?

T

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
stuart f said:

Ok i had better :theyareon now before i get a :nutkick:

Hmmm,

Have you not seen British Reds posting on this forum

BushcraftUK: Community > Bushcraft forums > Lovely Grub

LS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Use your Woodlore to remove the "box" from a box of wine and your left with a very bushcrafty "bag" fo wine.
No excess weight , stows well in your pack and big enough to share.
:D
rb

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I also opt for sherry, and not the granny stuff that everyone imagines.

Amontillado has the right amount of warmth and flavour and not too sweet..

plus it's great thrown in a stew as well...

I did use the cans of wine, but horrible stuff.
I've even been known to make a sort of wine rack from a few saplings to keep a glass bottle off the ground and closer to the fire...

Port gets my vote from now on though...

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Wine box get's my vote, remove some of the wine in to a suitable container to leave at home, or not, your call, wine box holdes 3L :)

The as mentioned above remove bag from box, put in a bin bag just to be on the safe side and you have a wine carrier that weighs practically nothing.

Oh and Asda do some cheap little clear plastic tumblers so your not drinking from the same cup you use for coffee :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE