Calling all mycologists...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
It would help to see the underside of it. From a quick flick through my Roger Phillips, it looks like 'coprinus impatiens'.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hmmm... I think it looks very like Coprinus disseminatus, aka Fairies' Bonnets:

Coprinus disseminatus typically fruits in clusters near the bases of stumps, sometimes in astounding numbers. Its cap is initially white, but soon begins to turn grayish brown, with a brownish center.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinus_disseminatus.html

According to my Gem pocket guide, the habit of growing in very large groups is distinctive of this species.

Coprinus impatiens grows in grass rather than on trees (apparently ;) - I'd never heard of it before).

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
(flicks a page or two on in the book) Yes, I think you're spot on with Coprinus Disseminatus! I don't think I'd ever trust myself to go out foraging for mushrooms without someone who really knows what they're doing :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The trick is to learn just a handful of species - the ones you defintely want, and the ones you definitely don't want. The only species I can reliably identify without refering to a guide are the really tasty ones (cep, chanterelle, morel, etc), the really poisoinous ones (death cap, destroying angel, panther cap) and the really obvious ones (fly agaric, ink cap). Anything else I have to double-check, and probably isn't very interesting anyway (from a foraging point of view at least).

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
outdoorgirl said:
Underside, huh? OK, it was hard work as they're so close to the ground and it's difficult to get the camera into a position to get an underside view, but here you go...

Underside 1

Underside 2
hello :)
can't help with identification, but nice pics. Ive seen some great photos of the underside of small funghi etc. using a clean mirror placed at the foot of the subject ( means you can shoot from above ) :)

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Great tip! Thanks... :) I'm still working out my new camera (Sony DSC F828) and want to now get a macro lens for even better close up work, and a mini tripod for a steadier picture, but I'm really pleased with it so far.

It just means I want to go spend all my time in the woods taking pictures of leaves, fungi, insects and other flora / fauna! :)

Many thanks to all for the ID on the 'shrooms, too.. :You_Rock_

ODG

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Camera looks like it's done a great job!

Couldn't you just pick the 'shroom and turn it upside down or am I missing the point?

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Ah, of course you could pick the mushroom, but I try to leave things as I find them wherever possible... :)

Typically, now that someone has identified them for me, I keep spotting the species all over the place! I even saw a huge patch of the same species that lives in grass (mentioned earlier in this thread) rather than on trees... Sadly I was driving past it, and couldn't stop to take a photo... :(

ODG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE