calling all hammock manufactures / modders / self makers

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Now a few years ago snugpack and our very own wandering star made and sold snugpack cocoons now since then they have stopped being made and well i want one and as you can now imagine getting your hands on one is like trying to find Rocking horse poo which by all acccounts makes good eating

anyways the question i have is how would i go about making a coccoon now the reason i ask is i have a dd camping hammock with none adjustable ridge line and a snugpack under blanket and i use a snugpack antarctic re sleeping bag
along with a single bed one hundred percent marino wool undersheet which i put in to the bed roll sleeve on my hammock.

now why do i want a cocoon well i plan on using the hammock in some serious winter weather and well last yer i was warm enough but only just if any wind picked up so if i had a cocoon i would be snug as a bug in a rug but having said that it may just have been my face that wasnt warm and if thats the case its time to invest in a hat

but since then i have dunn the research with a hat and i am still no warmer when there is any wind and i like to sleep sweating ma nads off why well i am an ice cold sleeper

so how is best to go about making a coccon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could try this idea ...

[video=youtube;HTe6-kxY5rI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTe6-kxY5rI&feature=relmfu[/video]

You'd have to have your net loose on you DD or switch to an open hammock for winter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
what exactly do u mean shewie cos i am having trouble visualising that

Hack up your new bag so it's the right shape for what you want, then just sew a long zip along each side of your underblanket and the new bag and then zip the two together

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hack up your new bag so it's the right shape for what you want, then just sew a long zip along each side of your underblanket and the new bag and then zip the two together

You'd be able to unzip the top piece and just use the underblanket if you wanted. You'd have to figure out a decent closure for the ends but that shouldn't be too hard with your leftovers.

Adding a ridgeline to your hammock will help lift it off your face, Loads of info on HF for that

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....would a wool blanket on top of my sleeping bag and over my face not work the same

the problem with putting a wool blanket on top of a sleeping bag is that it can compress the insulation in the sleeping bag and stop it from working properly, you could end up being colder with the blanket than without it. you could use a wool blanket to make sleeping bag liner, that way you get the added insulation without having to worry about compressing your sleeping bag

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
the problem with putting a wool blanket on top of a sleeping bag is that it can compress the insulation in the sleeping bag and stop it from working properly, you could end up being colder with the blanket than without it. you could use a wool blanket to make sleeping bag liner, that way you get the added insulation without having to worry about compressing your sleeping bag

that was my first thought as well

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I just drape a wool blanket over the hamock ridge line. It hangs down each side and can be tucked between the hammock and underquilt or left out for a bit more ventilation.

Works fine for me :)

cheers

Grebby

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Set your tarp lower and close the ends.... Less wind less chill :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE