Caldera Cone Stove - Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've been playing around making a few different pepsi can stoves lately as I'm trying to get my pack weight down and I do like cooking with meths.

I saw this stove after another bought of coursework marking avoidance and loved the simplicity of the idea... so I bought one :eek:

The stoves are made specific for each type of cup by a company in the US called Trail Designs when I first looked on their site they had the stoves for Snow Peak, Vargo and Backpackinglight. Not seeing the Alpkit Mytimug I sent them an email, and had a reply from Rand within a few hours saying that it was the same as the Vargo Ti Lite and that I could in the UK from Winwoods - excellent service, and they've since added the Alpkit mug to their website.

The caldera is getting some excellent reviews from lightweight backpackers and I was gagging for this to arrive so that I could play... :rolleyes:

I ordered the stove from Winwood Outdoors on Thursday and it arrived Friday morning (again top notch service). First impressions were good, the cone was bigger than I was expecting but when you look at the size of Alpkits Mytimug it needs to be. The stove is a pepsi can and the workmanship is top notch.

The system is incredibly light, without the cup it weighs in at 57g and that includes the windshield, the burner, 160ml fuel bottle and measuring cup (supplied). With the mug (127g with lid) this weighs in at 184g. I filled the bottle and my total cook system weighed 300g.

CalderaCone-Initial-Packed.jpg

CalderaCone-Initial-Unpacked.jpg

The Burner
Now the stoves that I've been playing around with have either been the pressure style stoves or trangia mock ups with the jets, usually side burners. This one was neither of those.

CalderaCone-Initial-Burner.jpg

The caldera stove is more about efficiency than maximum burn time, working on the theory that its more important to keep weight down than it is to shave off the extra time required to boil the water. The burner consists of ventillation holes around the outside of the burner, then an inner jacket, with holes near the top. The outer holes line up with those in the windshield so the air blows in and mixes with the burning meths at the top of the stove giving a very efficient and more complete burn (no soot at all on the bottom of the cup). The stove does have a shallow dish attached as a pre-heat for very cold conditions but I didn't find this necessary.

The Cone

The cone is thin and initially I wondered if this would prove slightly flimsy, but the shape once slotted together is very strong. The join is by way of a dove tail slot, first time this took a bit of sliding in until I flicked through the leaflet and realised there was a angle cut into one piece to aid this... much easier... :eek:

In Use
I want to start comparing some different meths stoves so I decided instead of filling the cup up (700ml) I'd go with 500ml as not all titanium cups are this big and it would allow better comparisons.

So 500 ml of water in the cup and 20ml of meths in stove using the measuring cup.

The stoves lights easily and I suppose the only draw back is that because its so efficient the flame is completely colourless (even less of a flicker than you normally get with meths).
Once lit the cone goes over the the top and cup sits in the cone, the lip of the cup rests snugly on the lip of the cone.

CalderaCone-Initial-InUse.jpg

Because the cup sits inside the cone, the centre of gravity if very low, this is probably the most stable of systems I've used, it would actually take quite an effort to know this over... not that I tried.. :p

Performance wasn't speedy by any means and took 9 minutes to bring 500ml of water to the boil. Total burn time was just over 11 minutes on 20 ml of meths. Now titanium is a very poor conductor so I'd be interested to test this on a mug made of another metal. What I am impressed with though is so little fuel manages to successfully boil this amount of water:

CalderaCone-Initial-Boiling.jpg

Summary

Initial impression is very good, this is a very efficient system, the shape of cone ensures that the majority of the heat is directed at the cup, whether the bottom or the sides, and the design of the burner and windshields means you get the as many BTUs from the meths as possible.

No means of simmering but then I'm going to use this with a insulated pot cosy, so as soon as the water is boiling I can add my food, and into the cosy.

Weight wise, 300g would give me easily about 8 cups, enough to boil 4 litres of water, this would be plenty for a weekend, even with the amount of coffee I normally consume. For longer times more fuel would be needed, but it is easy to calculate exactly how much, add a bit on for emergencies and still keep the weight to a minimum.

Looking fowrard to using this outside of the garden, away next weekend so I should get chance to give it a good testing then. I'll post some more pictures when I've had a chance to really put it through its paces. I might also try it with one of my pressure style stoves to see how they perform.

Matt

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
They have made one that can be used like that, but for this the cup is on top of the cone on a couple of tent pegs. Might have to try that at some point with this one.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Nice post Lithril, I've been pondering making a new pepsi can stove. Seems there are many variaties floating around now, and choosing one to make gets harder and harder. Are you bringing it to the bush moot if so I'll have a look then.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup it'll be at the moot, it really is a great little stove if you're happy to wait for the boil time, I normally get a stove going and then faff around with other stuff anyway.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Excellent info - thanks very much. There are plenty of folk with the same cup so well worth knowing.

IIRC, alpkit had a wee tussle with vargo over design similarities of their titanium mugs? Can't remember the details. I don't know if alpkit changed the design?

Just to put the weight saving in perspective, the excellent, bombproof but heavy Swedish military Trangia is a little over 1kg.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Thanks Lithril - very nice review! The cone is one of those stoves that I spent weeks umming and ahhing about whether I should get it or not. 300g for a weekend's cooking is incredible!
Happy cooking!!

After years of making pop can stoves and windscreens (most of which are great), and after years of reading about the Caldera Cone, I decided to get one.

It is better than anything I made by a pretty wide margin. Very efficient, and as mentioned the stability of it is a big plus.

The Caldera Caddy that they offer is a good idea to get. I wish I could fit it into a pot, but alas, I don't think there is a pot out there big enough to hold the rolled up cone. The Caddy does a good job of protecting it. And it can serve as your mug/bowl as well.

One suggestion is to get two of the Campsuds 125 ml oval bottles. Two of them will fit into the Caddy, and it will double the amount of fuel that the provided bottle will give you. I found that one of those bottles was enough for one days fuel requirements. Hot water for breakfast and hot beverage, hot water for dinner and hot beverage and hot water to wash up with. Quite often I had some left over, but that is fine with me. Windier or colder conditions would likely use up more fuel, so it's better to have some more.

It really is quite remarkable how little fuel is required to boil a cup or two. The provided measuring cup is great as a tool to help you get the most out of the fuel you have. It took me a while to sort out exactly how much I needed, as I often put in too much and had a pretty purpley flame going for several minutes after the water had come to a rolling boil. No sense wasting it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE