Cajun Sandwiches

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bread on both sides and big enough - it was nearly a ham cobb but because of the size of the bun its borderline a sandwich.

I'm wondering where I can get "Lovey" in a sandwich :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
But why isn't it a F&M butter, thinly sliced cucumber, crusts off and cut into dainty triangles sandwich? Surely anything else is sacrilege?

cucumber-sandwich.jpg
:p

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
All looks wonderful, except the cheese.
No idea how I would possibly eat something that size though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All looks wonderful, except the cheese.
No idea how I would possibly eat something that size though.

LOL. I did in my younger days. But they're normally shared. I assume you're talking about the Mufeletta? I still eat the Po-Boys by myself. Not a 36' one like in the video though; usually a 12' one or so.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But why isn't it a F&M butter, thinly sliced cucumber, crusts off and cut into dainty triangles sandwich? Surely anything else is sacrilege?

cucumber-sandwich.jpg
:p

I'd say that's a sandwich. A lady's sandwich; but still a sandwich. A popular similar sandwich here (in the rural South) is a toamato sandwich; just sliced ripe tomatoes on white bread with mayonaise and lots of black pepper.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd say that's a sandwich. A lady's sandwich; but still a sandwich. A popular similar sandwich here (in the rural South) is a toamato sandwich; just sliced ripe tomatoes on white bread with mayonaise and lots of black pepper.

I do like a tomato sarnie too. Managed to grow some "burpless" cucumbers the other year, they worked, no cucumbery burps after eating.

Some of the sandwiches that I've seen them do on Man versus Food are amazing - they'll kill you but amazing.

Red, you're right - how could I forget my favourite seasoning black pepper. Off to hang head in shame.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
My favourite is American, but not cajun - give me the smoked brisket any day, preferably with a dish of au jus to dip it in....

20120126-Podnahs-smoked-brisket-sandwich-2.jpg

The farm I'd get brisket from has ceased theit home butchery, so I can't get a proper brisket cut, but have been very successful smoking whole beef ribs and using the meat from them.

Anyone in Glasgow - try the Variety Bar on Sauchiehall St, or Sanctuary on Dumbarton Road - the boys from Smoak do a magnificent brisket roll, also pulled pork, their BBQ ribs (in Sanctuary) are outstanding as well.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
lthough smoked brisket is mostly Texan rther than Cajun, when you added the au jus you come close to making it a French Dip which can be cajunized (as anything can really) by just using Cajun seasoning as the dry rub before smoking.

By the way, I love good smoked brisket also (in a sandwich or as a knife and fork meat) Particularly when the smoking wood is mesquite.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
lthough smoked brisket is mostly Texan rther than Cajun, when you added the au jus you come close to making it a French Dip which can be cajunized (as anything can really) by just using Cajun seasoning as the dry rub before smoking.

By the way, I love good smoked brisket also (in a sandwich or as a knife and fork meat) Particularly when the smoking wood is mesquite.

I have some mesquite - but find it a bit strong - current smoke wood of choice is a couple of hickory chunks and a pile of applewood chips. But I've a pile of apple, plum & cherry logs to attack with my saw & axe for smkoing chunks...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have some mesquite - but find it a bit strong - current smoke wood of choice is a couple of hickory chunks and a pile of applewood chips. But I've a pile of apple, plum & cherry logs to attack with my saw & axe for smkoing chunks...

Hickory is another of my favorites. Both hickory and mesquite can be strong (personally I like that a bit better) I've never tried plum or cherry; I need to do that. Apple just doesn't really add any flavor that I can tatse (mind you my tatse buds were long ago burned off by hot sauce. LOL)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like something lighter on fish also. Chicken or lamb (when I actually do lamb) are among the things I like the stronger flavor on though (along with a good dry rub before smoking) It's down to individual tatste and many would probably agree with you. here it seems to be regional at the moment: East Coast to the Midwest prefer hickory; West Texas and neighboring states prefer mesquite; West Coast is a bit more ecclectic, using both plus apple and aspen.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My lunch today was half a baguette sliced in half, drizzle of olive oil then rubbed with garlic, filled with chunks of ham off a boiled gammon hock, diced toms and a generous side dish of Polish cucumber and garlic pickle and my first beer since xmas (ice cold Guinness) :)

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
I like something lighter on fish also. Chicken or lamb (when I actually do lamb) are among the things I like the stronger flavor on though (along with a good dry rub before smoking) It's down to individual tatste and many would probably agree with you. here it seems to be regional at the moment: East Coast to the Midwest prefer hickory; West Texas and neighboring states prefer mesquite; West Coast is a bit more ecclectic, using both plus apple and aspen.

Do the regional tastes seem to follow what grows in the region most though? Like whisky is peat smoked, because that was what was easiest available - but I've often wondered what could be achieved using beechwood or oak for the smoking process.....

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
My lunch today was half a baguette sliced in half, drizzle of olive oil then rubbed with garlic, filled with chunks of ham off a boiled gammon hock, diced toms and a generous side dish of Polish cucumber and garlic pickle and my first beer since xmas (ice cold Guinness) :)

Sounds good rik, sorry we took a wee detour through smoke woods there....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do the regional tastes seem to follow what grows in the region most though? Like whisky is peat smoked, because that was what was easiest available - but I've often wondered what could be achieved using beechwood or oak for the smoking process.....

To some degree yes. But not wholely. regional tastes are also influenced by the historical influence of various waves of settlers:

-Cajun and Creole cooking eveolved from first Spanish settlers (a Jambalaya is basicly a Paella with Cajun spices) later picking up influences from French occupation and African slaves as well as Caribbean.
-Tex-Mex is influenced by Mexican spices and styles with the predominate beef culture of Texas ranching.
-Southern BBQ picks up greatly from Caribbean/Spanish preference for pork

But as to tastes in which wood is preferred for smoking, I expect that is very dependent on the local woodland as you suggest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE