Cable tie bow drill

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just saw this. Not sure where to post so mods, move it you need to
Using Cable ties as the "cordage" in a bow drill. Innovative me thinks
:cool:
[video=youtube;64i68aBlnIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64i68aBlnIs&feature=pl ayer_embedded[/video]

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Perhaps the idea is thinking outside the box? Cable ties are one of the very few things I carry in case of kit failure. There are always a few in the bottom of my bergan and might save using a bootlace in a pinch. Pretty doubtful really but you never know!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Perhaps the idea is thinking outside the box? Cable ties are one of the very few things I carry in case of kit failure. There are always a few in the bottom of my bergan....

same here, there's been half a dozen or so big thick cable ties rattling around in the bottom of my bag for as long as i can remember, really useful bit of kit. i'd never thought of using them for bow drill though, might give it a try at some point

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
same here, there's been half a dozen or so big thick cable ties rattling around in the bottom of my bag for as long as i can remember, really useful bit of kit

Yep, same here. That's probably why I've never been on the lookout for them in the woods.

i'd never thought of using them for bow drill though...

Yep, same here. That's probably because of all the cordage in my pack, and the length of lawn-mower starter cord I keep wrapped around the cable ties. :rolleyes:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Yep, same here. That's probably because of all the cordage in my pack, and the length of lawn-mower starter cord I keep wrapped around the cable ties. :rolleyes:

very valid point ged, although personally it's hair bobbles again to hold the cable ties together, not that i've got any other use for them anymore. i keep meaning to pick up some lawnmower cord, it's supposedly the mutts nu....cats tw.....bees knees (family forum and all that:))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE