Buying Nylon?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Im looking at buying waterproof ripstop nylon. On ebay people sell it by the meter. How do you get it wider than a meter. You wouldn't really want a tarp only a meter wide. Or am i just confused. :confused:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Im looking at buying waterproof ripstop nylon. On ebay people sell it by the meter. How do you get it wider than a meter. You wouldn't really want a tarp only a meter wide. Or am i just confused. :confused:
Usually it comes off a big roll that's a standard width - typically 1.5m wide. You order the length you want

Have a look at the description and you'll probably see it comes 150cm wide so when you buy a meter you're actually buying 1.5mtr sq
- as in a piece 1.5m wide x 1m long

So, for example...

If you were to order 5m you would get a single piece that's 1.5m wide x 5 meters long, rather than 5 pieces of 1m x 1.5m :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Right guys thanks for the help. So the general width is 1.5m. If I was making a tarp 3m wide I would join two hits across the middle and seam seal it. Also how would I edge the tarp. Would I use grosgrain. What colour would be good. Might be cool having it in red. Also what is so special about pertex 4. I have heard people using it for hammocks.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
For me money is always an issue - fabric n stuff to ripstop for 99p / metre, the width varies from 1.1m - 1.5m [I think] you can get it 'coated' or 'uncoated' but I don't think either its truly waterproof, but you can easily treat it yourself with various methods. bloody slippery to stitch though.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
If I was making a tarp 3m wide I would join two hits across the middle and seam seal it.

You could but I wouldn't. It would place a seam straight along the ridge. This means that all the weight is on the stitches and are likely to stretch and therefore leak. Use a full piece for the middle, then cut another piece lengthwise and add the two onto the sides. That way you're not putting all the weight onto the stitching and if it does leak at least it wont be dripping straight on top of you, it will likely drip off to the sides of your hammock. But if you seal the seams well it shouldn't be a problem.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Right guys thanks for the help. So the general width is 1.5m. If I was making a tarp 3m wide I would join two hits across the middle and seam seal it. Also how would I edge the tarp. Would I use grosgrain. What colour would be good. Might be cool having it in red. Also what is so special about pertex 4. I have heard people using it for hammocks.

I would do a flat fell seam along the middle of the tarp to join the two lengths of fabric. It is a strong, and fairly waterproof seam. You will still need to use seam sealant, or seam sealing (iron on) tape though. For the edges, you can simply hem the fabric (i.e. fold it back on itself twice and stitch closed. You could fold it back on itself and sew nylon webbing along the back face- this will make the tarp and its attachment point very strong, but the downside are increased weight and bulk, and if the webbing is not as stretchy as the fabric, the tarp will be a little saggy no matter how well you tie it out (especially when the nylon gets wet and stretches more).

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As others have said, run the seam of the two sides along the ridge. Google 'French seam' and use that is my advice, as its more waterproof than the flat fell and most often wont need seam sealing. Warbonnet tarps are made like this.

Pertex 4 is fantastic for hammocks and feels soft and warm to the touch. Its not really suitable for tarps though unless your only dealing with snow.

As for width, you'll need to ring the vendor to confirm. They come in varying widths, but tend to be 130- 150cm wide. Pertex 4 for example is often 165cm wide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE