Buying my first basha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I'm looking in to buying my first basha and am not entireley sure what I should be looking for :confused: . If I understand it right then I need to have good eyelets along each side and strong hoops along the ridge. Of course the material needs to be of good quality.

I found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6639392165&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 does it look OK? Or do you know anywhere that I can get hold of one.

If some-one on here is selling one I would be very interested. :D

Many thanks as always....Stu

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd be slightly wary of that one on ebay as it weighs 1kg and if you look closely it says Army type basha. I think the issue basha weighs less (640g iirc). Can't help with where to find one, unfortunately. Have you considered a Magikelly Tatonka Tarp instead?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
That looks the same as the ones I bought, I paid less for it though about £15 IIRC.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9501&highlight=basha
They are good for the price and seem really hardwearing they are a bit heavy and don't pack down quite as small as I would like, but other than that I would reccomend them as a budget option, but look around for prices.
I have checked the site I got mine from, on reccomendation from Nemesis, and they don't seem to stock them anymore :rolleyes: .

I think the y weigh a little over the kilo advertised, about 1.2kg seems to ring a bell.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have one of these bashas. I think I bought it from an army type store in Leith, Endinburgh a good while back. They are ok for the price. They are pretty sturdy, slightly heavy reflecting the thickness of the material used, but has all the attachment points ever required. The only problem I have found with this kind of basha is its size and you will have to purchase rope/cord as an extra to get it set up. In my opinion, it is not quite wide enough for hammock use, but is not to bad if bivvying on the ground. You could then purchase two and button them together for extra size. personally, I would go with what Scanker says and spend that bit extra money and get one of the nice tatonka tarps, much lighter, huge size and no camo.

7bcb441b.jpg

d0bc0908.jpg

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
The light green one is a standard Hex fly for the old Hennesy system. It has a sort of hexagonal shape (hence the name) so that it is slightly longer at the head and foot end.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
If youre a full member there is a group buy on the FM Forum with a few places to spare. £40 or less for an aussie hoochie as used by ray mears & woodlore. Thats about as cheap as youll find for one of these and they are top kit, tough as boots and weigh around 600kg. Pack small as well. Whatever you get spend £10 on a set of guy lines from woodlore as they are miles better than any cordage that Ive seen on other tarps. Especially when you discover that no matter where you pitch it a******s keep walking into the lines (you do it yourself half the time. This is also the best reason for getting a well made tarp as the stress of these trips can rip cheaper tarps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE