'Buy Your Own Wood'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
Do you know if sporting rights come with the woods sold in england timbo

When you buy a wood you need to check if the sporting rights are included. It varies. You have to ask. Sometimes the current owner sells these before they sell the wood...which is a real pain. You own the wood and then 10 Hurray henry's come onto your land and start shooting. I always make sure the rights are included before I buy a wood.

Regards

Tim

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
Hi there

My name is Tim. My business partner and I run Ancient Woodland.

Somebody told me that there was a discussion going on about my recent advertisement and I've now read the thread.

Let me tell you a few things about what we do and why we do it...hopefully you'll see it's not a con and that we aren't a big business making loads of loot...I suppose I would say that but it is true.

My partner is a bushcraft fanatic and spent years dreaming of buying a wood and I had worked as a tree surgeon for a while and love trees...we decided to buy a wood and found it was pretty difficult and also discovered that most woods are owned by farming families who have let them fall into terrible direpair and to be honest didn't really want to sell and certainly didn't want people camping and lighting fires in them.

So we came up with a mad cap scheme to start buying woods, renovating them (a bit) and then selling them to a number of owners who could share them. We didn't do it to make lots of money - but the reward for us is we get to keep some of the wood and can build up places we can camp all over the UK.

Each community gets its own woodland community forum (a bit like this) so that the owners can chat, arrange to get together - but only if they want to. There aren't many rules - except don't shoot the wildlife, don't drive quad bikes and motor bikes around - some people we sell to have kids! And generally don't make a mess of the place. You can camp whenever you want, take friends, lend friends your keys, light fires...do any of the Ray Mears type malarkey my partner does.

Hope this helps. We aren't a big firm, we are just normal guys who like woods and dreamt up a new way for other people to be able to own woodland without taking out a second mortgage.

For £5,000 you get a quarter of an acre freehold plus the beneficial right to wander, camp, walk, climb around the entire 14 acres forever...no tricks, no catches...honest! We will build a fantastic treehouse that everyone can use. (Essentially you get the whole use of the wood forever and can leave it to someone when you get to go to that great big wood up in the sky!) We are currently renovating it - it will be ready in a few weeks. The treehouse will probably be built in the spring - although we may do it before the bad weather sets in?.

We will sell to approximately 18 people...we already have about 15-16 deposits (one is apparently still 'on it's way'.)

You have keys to get in and to avoid lots of travellers taking the place over. There are no signs telling you what to do...the emphasis is on camping in a bushcrafty sort of way - not thousands of caravans...and a love of being at one with nature. There are lots of animals - deer, etc. They don't need managing, they just pop in when they fancy. It isn't all fenced - there is just a hedge...I saw a family of five deer last time I was there.

Happy to send further details to anyone who fancies having a look...but I would be fairly quick as it is selling fast...I promise you it is a great deal...you'll be amazed at what you get for your money.

(End of sales pitch! Phew!)

Kind regards

Tim

Was a bit too expensive for me. don't know if anyone else fancies coming in with me...

They want about £150,000 for it...

Timbo

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Was a bit too expensive for me. don't know if anyone else fancies coming in with me...

They want about £150,000 for it...

Timbo

You want to approach Tony about this and see if you can work out a deal for BCUK members to join so long as it's an 'everyone wins venture' then I see good things ahead.

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
As long as everyone puts the money in. We could form a company and all be shareholders. It only costs about £35 to form a limited company. Elect say 10 directors...who rotate every year.

I'd be happy to put in enough to buy say £5,000 worth of shares.

Tim

To be completely honest, whilst I'm well up for something like this, it'll only work if its local for people as otherwise we'll be buying into something we won't use.

I was surfing earlier & saw www.woodlands.co.uk which advertise small woodlands for sale, generally a few acres for around £20 - £50k.

Would it not be a better idea to go for a number of smaller woods located around the country?

Just a thought

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
To be completely honest, whilst I'm well up for something like this, it'll only work if its local for people as otherwise we'll be buying into something we won't use.

I was surfing earlier & saw www.woodlands.co.uk which advertise small woodlands for sale, generally a few acres for around £20 - £50k.

Would it not be a better idea to go for a number of smaller woods located around the country?

Just a thought

That was exactly my thoughts this morning, any woods would need to be reasonably accessible for sure, otherwise a handful of people would reap the rewards. I'm thinking that the donations would need to be recorded demographically also, if the bulk of donations / shares are bought by those living in the home counties for instance then it makes sense that the bulk of the woodland purchased should also be close by, no?

It does get a little complicated, although it is a genius idea, I'm limited to a few woods adjoining lakes to which I have membership. There are some fabulous historic woods just up the road from my house, but as they're run by the woodland trust and have reserve status the access there is limited to dog walking (and it seems cr**ping - which seems to be perfectly acceptable), horse riding, mountain biking and the like. Wo betide you if you want to string a hammock up and kip the night!

I

IceBoy

Hey !

Thats who I purchased my woodland from Ancientwoodland.com

I'm no mathmatician, I know they make money.....but I they have enabled me to have a "place of mine own" for £5,000.

On top of all this I get my interest placed with the land registry.

IceBoy

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
Ah! I'm one of the people who set up Ancient Woodland...I probably sold the woodland to you. Which wood did you buy into?

I

IceBoy

Hi,

I purchased a section in the Kent woodland.

You obviously put some effort into making it a beautiful place.

I had a great time and took a friend with me. He was the bush-man !! I just enjoyed the peace and tranqulity.

I don't have to worry about being kicked off the land !!

Thanks Timbo1

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
Hey what a great coincidence. Its good hear of a positive take of your scheme.
:twak:

`````down cynic. Excuse me but there is a cynical side to me that isnt always trusting of these happy coincidences :twak:

I'll beat the cynicism out of me

or
:AR15firin

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I do wonder if its in the woods best intrest to be owned in this manor , each wood should not only be enjoyed but should be worked for its keep to produce good quality timber on a regular bais ie correctly managed , and everyone will have a different stratergy for a given wood .

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
There are indeed different ideas on woodland management. Interestingly for example the Woodland Trust does not 'correctly' manage it's woods by deliberate policy.

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
The key to it is to make sure you get a group of people who look as if they will get on together.

The last wood we just sold has taken over 50 potential buyers to find 19 who will get on well and have a similar view of the world. (Although one dropped out at the last minute - what can you do?) We also provide an online Woodland Community so that owners can meet online to discuss things if they want to. I had some really crazy people wanting to buy and haven't sold to them. So far, touch wood - excuse pun - it's worked pretty straight forwardly.

It's better that leaving these woods to fester - owned by farming families who leave them to fall apart!

Timbo

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
If you go back to medieval days woods were working environments, with leather being tanned, people cutting wood to ensure that raw materials were available for building and fencing. If you look back in the Doomsday record 'pannage' is referred to as an asset - this is acorns that they fed pigs and cattle on. I prefer the idea of lots of varied things going on in a wood, rather than just letting it rot.Most of the woods I visit are almost dead...left to rot for 50-100 years. I say we should grab them back and make something of them.

Timbo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE