Button compasses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I have tried the radiator treatment suggested and have found that all the cheaper compasses had the bubble return whilst the one Silva 19 has dissapeared.
It was the only Silva compass that I own that developed a bubble and some are over 30 years old so quality does seem to pay in the long term.
So thanks Lannyman at least it has saved one compass for another day.
Riven.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for letting us know :)
I did wonder how the hang it could work on the sealed plastic ones, but hoped I was just being obtuse.
Sod's law.
At least the children's activity was only for learning, not something they'll need to use in anger, we hope.

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Having a bubble in the spirit/oil of the compass only affects the speed with which the needle settles - it doesn't render them u/s, IIRC.....I've used a few Silvas in the past with bubbles and never had an issue with accuracy.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
If the radiator trick fails the only way I can see to remove the bubbles would be with a syringe and needle, some oil and a small drill? Pump in more oil and seal the hole with something or melt the plastic shut?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
As a real gadget man I was in to button compasses for a while. But they always faulty, lost or inaccurate. So I ended up with a casio watch with compass function (solar powered) so I always have a backup on me, and it also comes with baro and altimeter.
Maybe a little off topic but another option for "always prepared".

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The great thing about button compasses is the size! I went through a stage of incorporating them into all sorts of kit! Got them on Opinels, Moras, a Laplander and a few other things! If there is space to drill a small hole and it don't affect the item then I'm all for an inlaid compass!

Just need a reason to use the things now!

The great thing about button compasses is the size! I went through a stage of incorporating them into all sorts of kit! Got them on Opinels, Moras, a Laplander and a few other things! If there is space to drill a small hole and it don't affect the item then I'm all for an inlaid compass!

Just need a reason to use the things now!

sorry if i ask a daft question, but should'nt the metall distract the compass?!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
On the knives the compasses are in the handle at the furthest point from the blade. They seem to hold true.

e7ef800807fd01589c181ee7a6fc52b0_zpsf43f1b01.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Think what you might spend on a "good" compass in any format. Then double your budget. Those buttons, buy the best-of-the-best which is?. . . . . . . .
I like to spend 20-40 days a year in the bush, sometimes the conifer forest canopy nearly blocks all of the sky. I confess that twice in winters, I have become disoriented.
All of a sudden wondering which way is the road? Place your bets on the reliability of the compass when it's snowing and retracing your steps isn't possible.
Started with a Recta Prospector (steel case, 100g) which was retired when the bubble filled 1/3 of the bezel.
My Brunton Eclipse is quite a bit bigger but close to the same weight at 110g. I've added a very small LED light to the lanyard.
The actual rotating compass disk is just 12mm/ 1/2" diameter. Possibly the same device as is in good button compasses?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
sorry if i ask a daft question, but should'nt the metall distract the compass?!

Yes. It would but you can allow for it to a certain extent by mounting the compass where it's equally affected in all directions. Not something you could do on a stick tang handles unless you balanced the blade with a tiny magnet or something.

In the days before gyro compasses they would line up the whole ship or aircraft so the compass was pointing precisely magnetic north and then adjust magnets or lumps of iron around the compass until the card lined up. I think it was called "being swung". I used to have a chart ( lost it when I sold the book on, d'oh!) that showed the distance you had to be from certain objects such as a rifle , tin hat, jeep, before the amount the compass was out was negligible. I always laugh when I see in a war film some guy sighting a hand compass sitting in a jeep, getting a excellent bearing on where the engine block is.

To be honest these days all I really use a compass for is for vaguely aligning the map. I've not forgotten how to use one, not having it drummed in at O, A and Degree level and a lot of miles trudging over moors in fog and and on a couple of occasions white outs, just the terrain normally shows you were you are if you keep track of where you've just been.

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE