butterfly trout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
H

halo

hi all,has anyone tried cooking a trout the way mr mears doe's with salmon?

halo

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yes i have done it a couple of times.. it works very well, make sure you dont use a toxic wood for the parts coming in to contact with the fish.

H

halo

thank's tom tom,i was thinking about it over the weekend whilst fishing with a friend,must give it a try,is willow toxic?

halo

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i have to agree to panached fish is wonderfull and trout works just the same. Good tip about the wood nice to keep in the back of your mind ( its one of those things you just do automatically)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have done so and it works well, although I have tried trout steamed in a mud oven and it tasted very nice.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Don't forget to scrape the bark from the stick (if your using willow this can be used to make cordage) as the bark has bacteria present. It's a good idea to use green wood.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
ponassing :)

For a small gutted fish the size of a trout or mackrel you could also just use a sharpened stick (advice on choice of wood again - choose something nontoxic and remove the bark), one end in the ground at an angle up over the fire and the fish slid on through the mouth and up into the tail - it just sits there. Now skewering or fiddling about with the sticks needed, and no flesh wasted from pulling out the carcass.

ottar

May 29, 2005
TA 272101
pierre girard said:
How does Mr. Mears do it?

Like this:

C12.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE