Butterfly chisel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My new computer comes with an automatic spell checker….it's driving me nuts :(
I type the commands for the smilies. I type rolleyes (add: each end to activate it) and the damned thing keeps changing it to :roll eyes: :sigh: and it does that for dozens of everyday words for me too.

Speal hwo yu licq :D

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Has to be possible to turn a spell checker off? There's surely not stuff like that installed that's beyond your control? I couldn't have that at all.........

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I type the commands for the smilies. I type rolleyes (add: each end to activate it) and the damned thing keeps changing it to :roll eyes: :sigh: and it does that for dozens of everyday words for me too.

Speal hwo yu licq :D

M

Always the sign of a good forum.....no spelling or grammer nazi's :D

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the writing is clear (and I admit my Scotticisms sometimes need translated :eek: ) and not text speak which irritates many members who consider it rude on a forum, then generally, no, things are left in the 'voice' of the person who writes.

Some words I will change…..dieing instead of dyeing is my own personal bugbear.
I was reported in one newspaper as, "Practicing Natural Dieing, in ____ _______ , every Tuesday", :rolleyes:
My husband responded that so long as I'm only practicing it's fine :)

Members can't Edit their thread titles, no idea why not, but it seems to be set in stone, so I will occasionally change a title that looks like a typo. If it looks deliberate, I'll leave it; it's sometimes useful in the Search engine :D

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Always the sign of a good forum.....no spelling or grammer nazi's :D

Only because I spend a LOT of time telling myself not to post about it ;)

(ex-teacher, I spot a spelling mistake a half a mile, I can't help myself. Except when it is my mistake)

By the way, it is grammar.

:evilangel:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I type the commands for the smilies. I type rolleyes (add: each end to activate it) and the damned thing keeps changing it to :roll eyes: :sigh: and it does that for dozens of everyday words for me too.......M

That's not spell checker; that's auto correct. Spell checker shouldn't change anything at all, rather just underline it for you to review.

Has to be possible to turn a spell checker off? There's surely not stuff like that installed that's beyond your control? I couldn't have that at all.........

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
ah ha......just a matter of using the right bait :lmao:

I've just started a new thread, and despite checking it carefully and correcting all the mistakes that I found (my typing is awful, so there were lots of them) but I bet there is still one that I missed. :rolleyes:

Bad spelling pains me almost as much as my bad typing does. On the whole I have learned to let it go though. That one above was just for fun.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Members can't Edit their thread titles, no idea why not, but it seems to be set in stone....

Actually members can edit their thread titles (I've done so) You just have to hit the Go Advanced button once you're in edit mode.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've just started a new thread, and despite checking it carefully and correcting all the mistakes that I found (my typing is awful, so there were lots of them) but I bet there is still one that I missed. :rolleyes:

Bad spelling pains me almost as much as my bad typing does. On the whole I have learned to let it go though. That one above was just for fun.

I'm only messing about matey.....no worries :D

*runs off to check harvestman's thread :p

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just called in at the nearest DIY place to me to pick up a couple of drill bits and spotted these on the tool rack at £17.99...........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ?? :shocked:

I'm going to dig mine out of the toolbox and see if it's the same one. I'm pretty sure it is, but there's no way I'd have paid that for it.

I like B&Q's big sales though :D

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Eh ?? :shocked:

I'm going to dig mine out of the toolbox and see if it's the same one. I'm pretty sure it is, but there's no way I'd have paid that for it.

I like B&Q's big sales though :D

M

Confession time, after I saw you had bought one for a quid I nipped over to B&Q on my way home from walking the dog.
If they had been a pound I would have bought one for my wife who is now working as a plumbers apprentice. OK for notching timbers for a pipe.

None in there and there's no way on earth I'm forking out eighteen notes for one.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ok, I eventually caved in and bought one for my plumber wife.
Thing was I forgot to give it to her for a while and used it for a while.
Its not as nice to use as a proper chisel but its dead handy to carry about in my pouch without it stabbing holes in things.

Its a lot better than I expected it to be, so much that I had to buy my wife another and I just kept that one.

Hultafors now do heavy duty chisels that have a knife like sheath that clips into my Snickers work trousers which look to be a good option as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE