Busse knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well its arrived. Oh my god. Its huge. Its also not the colour shown above.

The blade is not black but brown.

I wouldnt want to cut myself with it. Its just damn huge. and razor sharp saber grind. Handle matches the brown blade perfectly.

Its a complete beast. lol. I love it. First BIG knife Ive owned.

[Did you catch any halibut Janne? Piccie?]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I spent about an hour chopping beech, old pine logs, and english elm. The beech was still pretty green, but the other hardwoods were rock solid.

And no chips at all. No rolling either. A 5 minute strop and it was back up to razor sharp again. Very impressive.

Busse Combat knives are exposed to over 60 hours of heat treating and tempering. It is in this process that the very soul of a blades performance will be born. It can also be the most expensive process involved in the making of a fine blade.
Sadly, the knife buying public has been led to believe that Rockwell Hardness is some sort of gauge by which to determine performance. This is ridiculous. Following standard ASTM heat treating and tempering protocols, a blade made from a standard tool steel can be "properly" heat treated and tempered in less than 1-1/2 hours and brought to a hardness of 57-59 Rc.
But what does that prove? One of our Swamp Rat division blades that has received our proprietary heat treat and tempering protocol of over 40 hours will also test out at 57-59 Rc. This fact is that one of our Swamp Rat transversion wave tempered blades that tests out at 57-59 Rc will greatly outperform a standard heat treated knife blade out of the same material that also has a 57-59 Rc hardness. Now imagine the performance of a Busse Combat blade that has undergone our proprietary heat treat and tempering protocol of over 60 hours that tests out at 58-60 Rc!
Grain structure and carbide distribution, are the keys to great performance NOT Rockwell hardness!

Cryogenic Treatment
Busse Combat knives undergo a deep cryogenic treatment at over 300 degrees below zero. This deep-freezing of our INFI steel to 300 degrees below for a prolonged period of time stabilizes the microstructure of the INFI. Just as retained austenite is transformed to martensite during the tempering process, the same change occurs during the cryogenic treatment.
Our cryogenic treatment improves the mechanical properties of INFI like hardness, wear resistance, toughness, and resistance to fatigue.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I added a simple kydex attachment, which I formed in the oven, to my Busse Combat Bushwhacker Mistress [16.5"] with some fancy star pattern chicago screws, aluminium rivets and a basic leather dangler.

Im not gonna change the handle as I read they apply ten thousand pounds of pressure to stick it on, so there is not a great deal of vibration on the forearm, when chopping.

I like this knife. :) When the finish starts to look really battered, I'll probably sand it down to a satin finish.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
paperclip.png
Attached Images

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, Ive been at this for hours today.

And I can see its gonna take many more hours, [or even days :eek:] to get rid of the high spots, and attain a zero convex edge.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont know where my photos have gone. Must be photobucket moving things around. Anyway i ended up sending this back into busse, and they repaired it for a fee.

image-proxy

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Busse offered excellent customer service.
[As a repair, you should not be charged extra vat, except vat on the cost of the repair, not the original knife.]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE