Bushtruck Canoeing and Bushcraft course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got back last night from a great weekend course with the Bushtruck company based in North Yorks. It’s the second time I’ve done a course with them and I was absolutely cream crackered when I got home, again. The setup is slightly different to a lot of the mainstream schools in that the numbers are kept smaller so there’s more one to one interaction with the instructors.

This course was based around preparing for wilderness canoe trips in remote locations both in the UK and abroad. This was going to be really useful for trips I'm planning across the pond one day. I learnt loads of new bushy skills and canoeing techniques and despite the iffy weather on Friday/Saturday morning, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend.

Once again my camera spat its’ dummy out because it got damp inside so sorry for the poor piccies.

Getting loaded up on the tow path.
DSC01051.jpg

Ajrian (sorry if I’ve spelt your name wrong, who’d flown in from Holland in the morning), Greg, Sara and Gail hitting the water for the first time.
DSC01053.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

We had our route blocked on the journey because somebody couldn’t drive their barge.
DSC01055.jpg

It was pinned either end I think so a couple of the guys messed around with ropes for a while and got it straightened up eventually. In the meantime a lady came out of her waterside home and offered us all a cuppa, given the cold wind and persistent downpours we gladly took her up on the offer.

Sorting out some firewood.
DSC01057.jpg

Base for the weekend.
DSC01058.jpg

Jim showing us his bow he made on a course last year.
DSC01059.jpg

Mike showing us some wet weather fire lighting techniques.
DSC01060.jpg

Using a propped up candle to dry out wet wood and making an oven effect by covering with sycamore bark.
DSC01064.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

My effort.
DSC01067.jpg

Making supplies Bear proof. ;)
DSC01070.jpg

Will demonstrating how to properly cook trout over the fire.
DSC01072.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

Greg, Jim and I sneaked off for a dusk paddle while the rest of the group were chilling by the fire.
DSC01075.jpg

Will doing the old feather stick thing.
DSC01080.jpg

DSC01081.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

I took loads of pictures from the weekend but hardly any came out, lucky you ;)

The course was led by Mike Armstrong who runs Bushtruck, who’s a great teacher, very knowledgeable in all aspects of bushcraft and general outdoor skills and an all round top banana. Will was the other instructor who again really knew his stuff and was always keen to share his skills with us. If anyone's interesting in doing a course in the north of England but you don't want to pay the high prices some of the other schools charge then they're definitely worth checking out.

So all in all a superb weekend with a great bunch of folk.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks good. How dry was the parachute ? It looks steep and looks like it's shedding water ?

Nick

It was really good actually Nick, I was quite surprised at how warm and dry it was under there. The odd drop came through the hole in the top but that had evaporated before it reached the fire pit underneath.

Like you say it had been pitched quite steeply because the forecast was for heavy rain which we certainly got Friday PM.

Interestingly we had a much larger one at a Woodsmoke course I did in 2000 which was hung a lot flatter and that seemed to let a lot more through in heavy showers.

jimlangham

Sep 29, 2008
Nottingham
Some good pics Rich. I did this course with Rich. The pictures show how good the weekend was, yet again Mike from Bushtruck came up with the goods. The fourth course that I have done with Bushtruck and the courses are always kept small so you have more one to one tuition than other companies.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Thanks for sharing. Mike is a very nice and knowledgable bloke - I met him on a course in The Netherlands.

-Emile

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Scratches chin thoughfully whilst checking the bank account.....

Looks like a great weekend Shewie. I'm definately getting on a course one of these days and Bushtruck are looking like a contender.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie, looks like you had a good weekend. Miek is a nice bloke and very helpful.

do you fancy a paddle and/or play soon?

Yeah had a top weekend.

I'm up for either/both, in between DIY probably but I should be able to sneak out sometime ;)

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Ajrian (sorry if I’ve spelt your name wrong

It's "Arjan" ;)

We had our route blocked on the journey because somebody couldn’t drive their barge.
To be fair, we bumped into a few barges ourselves too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ajrian (sorry if I’ve spelt your name wrong

It's "Arjan" ;)

To be fair, we bumped into a few barges ourselves too.

Hello there :D

You found us then ?

Welcome to the forum

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
You found us then?
Yup. Just had to use the right keywords in the search engine...

Welcome to the forum
Thanks, also for the pictures.

Would it be an idea to join Live Mesh and invite the other Canoe Bushcraft students, so that everybody can dump their pictures just once to share them, in stead of having to e-mail everything to everybody? In Mike's words, "Does that make sense?"
(I haven't got anything to show yet, my slides have not yet been scanned).

P.S. I agree completely with your comments on the weekend, Bushtruck, Mike, Will, and the 'bunch of folk'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE