Bushshirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
They are made by Elves

blog_shoemaker_elves1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........and I am a most unlikely elf :D

Basically they're a traditionally cut garment made from natural fibres. Warm, showerproof, sparkproof, and practical.
Not particularly fashionable, but sort of unremarkable in normal everyday wear at the same time.
You can spend £100+ on them or buy a decent blanket and make your own :)
HWMBLT has three I've made for him, and he just calls them his Hoodies :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
A warm (over) shirt - something that you can just throw on. So not very smart usually.
And tough enough to survive being pushed through tight bush.
In NZ - possibly the birthplace of the original bush shirt, the Swannie, there are lots of synthetic clones on offer - Ridgeline, Stoney Creek, as well as a load of small brand garments from farm shops etc, so you can debate whether natural fibre is a key component. However I would say that natural fibre gives it some soul.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i'v never owned a wool bushshirt. i normally just wear one of the multitude of cheap fleeces i wear for work (farmer) i know they arent entirely "fire friendly" but a little camp fire is nothing when they have to put up with grinding and welding on a regular basis, and at about 2 quid a pop its really not an issue

to me, my bushshirts are large vietnam issue cotton poplin type shirt/coats. they do for a shirt in hot climates and a light coat over my cheap fleece in cooler climes

i'm not paying £100 for what is, to me, a glorified jumper lol....i'd love the bison bushcraft one. but waaaay too expensive for what it is IMHO

toddy, gotta say i'm incredibly impressed with your blanket bushshirts...far beyond my patience/skill level to replicate though unfortunatly

.....adam

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Give it a try, Sunndog. If you're a farmer you must be a practical sort of guy and I find that the more stuff I do, the easier it becomes to make an attempt at something new because my hands already know how to do practical things.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i'd love to make one, just can't see me having the patience tbh. i can sew a bit....i'v put straps, buckles and PLCE zips on rucksacks and stuff like that. but a whole shirt just seems like a massive project to me....i can just imagine how straight my hand sewn seams would be, the sleeves would just end in a sewn up point or sommat like that lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE