Bushmoot Tacos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"They were ace."
Why?
Tex-Mex foods are quite common on the entire west coast from PV to Whitehorse.
What is it that you like so much?
I'd be quite happy to lay out a serious taco seasoning spice mix (50 yrs old)

but if you can't make half-assed decent tortillas, you're kinda screwed.
The tortillas are kind of 50 % of the dinner = as tedious as it turns out to be.
On my own, fussing around, I figured it out. I'm quite good at making tortillas

The real deal is that I can do this with local game (bison/elk/moose)
and I can adjust that for beef/ llama = whatever you got, OK?

What do you need?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
@ Robson Valley

I would like to see your recipe for beef tacos! The kids love tacos and it would be cool to make a new variant (The first step for me, is to make tortillas instead of using the store bought)

Cheers
Greger

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The Tacos served at the moot were based on an Indian recipe as in Asian rather than any Tex Mex style.

I've had them in the past and they are very tasty but definitely not Tex Mex :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Tacos served at the moot were based on an Indian recipe as in Asian rather than any Tex Mex style.

I've had them in the past and they are very tasty but definitely not Tex Mex :)

They do sound good though! Hopefully somebody will have the recipe?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm still not thrilled with the tortillas that I can make. More work on that this winter.

Tex-Mex Tacos This scales up really well so you could do 2kg and freeze some.

Brown a pound of ground round (lean burger). Fine dice a medium onion and add that to sweat
Let the burger go until you get some crispy bits, the Maillard reactions, not just a color change. Brown it.

1 tsp each garlic powder & chili powder (1/2tsp g.cumin & 1 tsp Worcestershire is a nice sub for the chili powder.)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4tsp each cayenne, paprika, thyme and b. pepper
Mix and sprinkle over the meat & onion, stir in and let it fry a little.

Add 2tbs tomato paste (sauce is OK but sweeter) mixed into 8oz water.
Stir that in and let the meat simmer.
Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic in there and stir that around.
Simmer until the water is gone.

Serve with reheated corn tortillas, grated cheddar cheese, dice tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
Some people like sour cream and/or salsa, my kids never cared.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tengu: The bready thing. If Indian, maybe chepati bread or Naan bread? I can do both.
Come to think of it, you might have got a beef rendang with chepati or Naan, not a taco at all.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The tacos that Tengu is referring to were cooked by Shelly as part of the Bushmoot group meal. I think she uses a sweet bread dough with yeast and deep fries but I'm not certain. They are certainly well received and I think the Indian reference is more Native American than sub continent as the are definitely not naan etc.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
The tacos at the moot group meal are called Navajo Tacos or sometimes Frybread Tacos. I'm afraid I can't help with Shelly's secret recipe but if you google either of the above names you'll get some recipes to start you off on your culinary journey ��

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Got to try me some of that ... Sounds delicious, both the frybread and that recipe.
Some great great campfire food .

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do it, Leshy. I looked at a dozen recipes = taco on fry bread.
My spice mix and process ought to be fine.
You really need game = venison, bison, even rabbit to get the best from my spice mix.
And, for heaven's sake, jack it up for your sense of taste.
I would prefer more of a Naan bread which did not need to be deep fried.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yep, Indian Taco, Navajo Taco or Frybread - American Indian. lovely stuff.....

I've not got the recipe to hand Tengu but as Marmite said there's loads online if you do a search. They're good as a desert and the day after :D DOn't have them too often though they're can't be that good for you and be that tasty :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll settle for the real deal Mexican corn tortilla taco. The fry bread version cannot be more than maybe 3-4 centuries old.
Tortillas are thousands of years old. Plus, I'm incredibly biased when it comes to corn foods.

If you want Mex, perfect your tortillas then go after fajitas (easy)
and tamales (ultra fussy but heaven on day 2).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep, Indian Taco, Navajo Taco or Frybread - American Indian. lovely stuff.....

I've not got the recipe to hand Tengu but as Marmite said there's loads online if you do a search. They're good as a desert and the day after :D DOn't have them too often though they're can't be that good for you and be that tasty :D

Basic rule for healthy eating = If it tastes good; spit it out. :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Faugh!

I was planning on making some for when Dad comes to visit.

Food these days for Dad is exciting. He has suffered lifelong stomach problems, so anything remotley spiced was always off the menu.

Now his condition is better managed and at long last he can enjoy spicy (but not hot) foods.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My taco seasoning is savory, not spicy hot at all. Works with beef/venison/bison/moose/elk. . . . . . .
You could try it with 1/2 the chili powder and leave out the little bit of cayenne altogether.
Reheated leftovers or heated from frozen, yes, more hot spicy. Just enough that you notice the difference.

I know a native, Dene', woman who makes fry breads. Maybe see her Friday.
Whole lot better than the lousy corn tortillas that I make.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Faugh!

I was planning on making some for when Dad comes to visit.

Food these days for Dad is exciting. He has suffered lifelong stomach problems, so anything remotley spiced was always off the menu.

Now his condition is better managed and at long last he can enjoy spicy (but not hot) foods.

A teaspoon or two of yoghurt (flavoured or otherwise) added to the filling is good for cutting the tang\sharpness of some asian spicy fillings, I guess that's why it is most often on the table for most authentic meals I have tried.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE