Bushfinger by Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Some of you have already seen a lot of the pics in this thread but having had it a bit I wanted to do an actual review here in this section. I have been following Andy's work for the better part of two years now. Having seen several threads and lots of pictures I knew that he makes some beautiful knives, but getting to see them in person and handle them at Blade just took it to a whole new level for me. A couple of months back I talked to Andy about a smallish knife for bushcraft...but bushcraft from my personal perspective...we talked about prefs and hand size and thus a couple of weeks ago came the Bushfinger. He apparently understands my favorite activities because he did a fantastic job on the knife, not only aesthetically but in function. I really just don't think I could be happier with a knife for all around general use.

This was how the knife arrived and I have to say that Andy Roy definitely has style.

DSC_1187.jpg

And this is the beauty I found waiting inside the package. This is the knife design Andy has dubbed the Bushfinger.

DSC_1199.jpg

DSC_1352.jpg

Specs:

Steel.........................Spalted O-1 Tool steel 5/32in / 4mm
Grind.........................Hi Sabre Convex
Balde length...............4.3in / 11cm
Handle Length.............4.5in / 11.4cm
Over-all length............8.8in / 22.4cm
Handle Scales..............Natural Canvas Micarta
Liners and Bolsters.......Black Canvas Micarta
Pins...........................Natural Canvas Micarta/Carbon Fiber
Bullseye Lanyard Hole...Stainless Steel/Carbon Fiber

Maker: Andy Roy of FiddlebackForge.com

I love this sheath Andy made too, it works great for me both on my belt or in my pocket... where my knife often rides on hikes through the woods. He did an absolutely a fantastic job on this thing, I love his craftsmanship. While I normally don't care much for metal belt clips I have found this one to be well made, well located and comfortable, and I love the ability to quickly relocate the knife.

DSC_1769.jpg

DSC_1767.jpg

DSC_1768.jpg

DSC_1770.jpg

Andy did a super job on the little details that make this knife a work of art. I love how he mated the scales and bolsters together at an angle. His plunge line is just super, and the symmetry, which is a big thing with me, is simply fantastic.

DSC_1238.jpg

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1204.jpg

This knife is very comfortable in every grip I have used it in over the last two weeks.

DSC_1343.jpg

DSC_1344.jpg

DSC_1347.jpg

DSC_1350.jpg

I do a lot of cooking so naturally it is something a use a knife for a lot. The Bushfinger is perfect for me because it works great for food prep, it is a perfect size for great controllability. It did great with the veggies

DSC_1385.jpg

DSC_1400.jpg

DSC_1414.jpg

DSC_1394.jpg

It sliced through the tenderloin like it wasn't even there.

DSC_1470.jpg

DSC_1475.jpg

DSC_1483.jpg

The line of the edge being just below the lowest line of the handle lets me use the entire edge by holding the handle in a pinch grip and rocking the edge on the cutting board to slice and chop things like fresh garlic or fresh herbs. Yep, the Bushfinger does a great job at food prep without looking like a kitchen knife in the process (which I like VERY MUCH!).

DSC_1457.jpg

DSC_1460.jpg

Finally getting the knife out in the woods I found it has a great working edge.

DSC_1332.jpg

I used a hawk to rough out a spoon, and then used the Bushfinger to clean it up some. I have no clue what type of wood it is but by damn it's hard. I whittled on it for about an hour and a half with with no hot-spots at all, only a little tenderness in my thumb from pushing on the squared spine, which by the way throws great sparks from a firesteel. The knife is really a pleasure to work with.

DSC_1591.jpg

DSC_1585.jpg

DSC_1604.jpg

DSC_1603.jpg

DSC_1605.jpg

Then I did a little batoning with it making some notches in an adjustable pot hanger. The knife handles really well. Andy's hi sabre grind is more user-friendly than some of the thinner knives I have used while still giving me the strong spine I like a knife to have.

DSC_1688.jpg

DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

DSC_1696.jpg

DSC_1698.jpg

DSC_1700.jpg

DSC_1619.jpg

DSC_1627.jpg

DSC_1626.jpg

DSC_1627cropped.jpg

I decided to use a piece of the hard wood left from roughing out the spoon to give the tip a work out. It was about 3/4 of an inch thick and the tip handled boring a hole in it very well.

DSC_1666.jpg

DSC_1674.jpg

DSC_1672.jpg

DSC_1676.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

I also whittled/notched a couple of trap triggers from a wood that reminds me of Cherry, not sure if it is or not but very similar in looks and density. The knife really is a pleasure to work with.

DSC_1547.jpg

DSC_1555.jpg

DSC_1557.jpg

DSC_1559.jpg

DSC_1587.jpg

DSC_1569.jpg

DSC_1567.jpg

DSC_1593.jpg

After all I have done with it the original edge will still whittle some nice feather sticks. Having put it through its paces for the last couple of weeks I think this is the perfect bushcraft knife for me personally. Thank you Andy, job very well done, this is exactly what I wanted and I don't recall ever being happier with a knife purchase.

DSC_1632.jpg

It is also aging quite nicely too :)

DSC_1578.jpg

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Lovely looking knife there MW.
Not tried one like that, but judging by the pics it works really well for you and in the end that's what matters.
I see the end of the tang protrudes at the butt of the knife. Did you find it got in the way? I only ask because I recently reviewed a RAT4 and while the "purists" with the encyclopaedia of knife grips and cuts would find it obtrusive, I didn't.

Lovely looking knife there MW.
Not tried one like that, but judging by the pics it works really well for you and in the end that's what matters.
I see the end of the tang protrudes at the butt of the knife. Did you find it got in the way? I only ask because I recently reviewed a RAT4 and while the "purists" with the encyclopaedia of knife grips and cuts would find it obtrusive, I didn't.

Thank you, Andy did an excellent job on this knife and I am extremely well pleased with it. I am also very pleased with his pricing as I will actually be able to afford the other two I want as well.

The protruding tang is not a usual thing for Andy, I requested it on this knife for my own reasons. I know how some protruding tangs can get in the way, but I don't mind the ones on the RAT knives, I have a RC4, RC3MIL, and 2 HESTS and have had no problems with either. In fact I like having it there for instances where I need to drive the tip into something in "chisel" fashion such as making square bottomed notches as on a figure 4 trap trigger of if i have no other way to get through ice to usable water. Having the protruding tang makes doing this without damaging the handle scales much easier. Next time I have someone around to take the photos for me I'll make up a few things and show why I like a protruding tang.

I really like that Brian, good review too fella

Thanks Rich, I really like it too. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Well, thanks a lot for the great review, the knife is really beautiful and it seems you'll have a lot of fun using it.
Thanks also for the amazing pics, it feels like having it here..

Cheers
Paolo

Well, thanks a lot for the great review, the knife is really beautiful and it seems you'll have a lot of fun using it.
Thanks also for the amazing pics, it feels like having it here..

Cheers
Paolo

Thank you , I'm glad you enjoyed the review and the photos.

The knife is awesome and yes I am having very much fun using it. Finished up a fire-bow tonight that I cut off with the saw of my SAK a few months ago.

Wow, the colours work really well toghether, great craftsmanship at work there!

Yes I think the colors go great together too, the color scheme suits my nature perfectly as I really like the earthy tones very much. Andy definitely produces some wonderful craftsmanship, it's really hard to do it justice with photos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE