Bushcrafting the hard way....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
What a fantastic blog! Very funny, dry style of writing.

All power to Ditch Monkey - bushcraft camping of an evening and doing a normal 9 to 5 job during the day - what a fascinating social statement/experiment.

I see from his entries that he has already had some mainstream media coverage. I bet this will increase lots as he continues his year long fund raising stay in the woods.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Oh dear, I'm not going to be getting much work done today, as that blog's very good. :)

This living in the woods business seems a great idea - it would save me a fortune on rent. Perhaps I'll mention it to my wife. She'd be delighted I'm sure...

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
P Wren said:
What a fantastic blog! Very funny, dry style of writing.

All power to Ditch Monkey - bushcraft camping of an evening and doing a normal 9 to 5 job during the day - what a fascinating social statement/experiment.

I see from his entries that he has already had some mainstream media coverage. I bet this will increase lots as he continues his year long fund raising stay in the woods.

Wouldn't be surprised if some bright, bushcraft entrepreneur type might try and link up with the guy to provide some support and assistance and basic training to further both parties media presence.. :)

leon-1

I can appreciate what he is doing as I did it when I started work for my old employer (Couldn't afford digs).

It isn't much fun when the weather/seasons change and you head out to the woods to set up in the cold and driving rain. When you get out of the hammock in the morning and it is freezing cold and you have to pack everything away knowing that later on you will be going through it all again.

It would be better to have company when you are doing this, it lightens the mood, it gives you something to do (chat) and at least you can laugh at each others misfortunes (sounds nasty, but we have all done it at some time).

Good luck to him and yep the blog is very good, I am enjoying it I liked the bit in the hammock one about the toffee and the hedgehog:D.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I wouldn't be surprised at all Weekend_Warrior!
I wonder which Bushcraft School/kit manufacturer will aim to support/sponsor him.

I've been tempted on occasion to bivy out in my local woods on a Sunday evening, but the thought of a 3 mile trek at the crack of dawn before kitting myself out in suit and tie for the one and a half hour commute into Central London has always put me off.

I may now have to reconsider this ;)

After all I have a couple of Bergen pockets under my desk as I type this.
Do you think anyone would notice if I go popped out at lunch time to assemble my tarp and hammock in St Jame's Park?

I particularly like the following two entries:

http://ditchmonkey.blogspot.com/2005/08/hammock-any-fool-can-be-uncomfortable.html
http://ditchmonkey.blogspot.com/2005/08/bridget-jones-diary.html

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
There was a feature on this guy in yesterday's Evening Standard. Surely the poor bloke would have had some training before starting this "adventure"?

Best wishes

Bruce

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I saw about this on the telly. It was awesome! Gave me some ideas for when I start uni next month... who needs to pay £3000 a year for accomodation when you can live in the woods and spend all the money on kit?!

... maybe not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE