Bushcrafting in France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Anyone know if you're allowed to do bushcrati type things in the forests in fontainebleau?

I know it'd be easy enough to find somewhere fairly remote but is anyone aware of the law in France regarding this?

Cheers

Joe

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
there is a member on here with a wood in France but I can't remember who, as you have mentioned it someone will remember! Also there was a tv programme about an English chef who relocated to France and took his son wild camping/fishing.They had a local who showed them his spot for fishing and it was perfect. A wood with a trout stream running through it! You could also try Kieth Beef on British Blades as he lives in Paris

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Don't know much about that area specifically, but the following site on climbing the area says that fires aren't allowed:

http://www.cosiroc.org/FAQs_Frequently_Asked_Quest_ct.html

However, I've found before that bushcraft stuff doesn't cause any raised eyebrows in France, and that the only problems I've had is keeping an eye out for areas where hunting is taking place, so as to not wander across them and get shot :yikes:

Your best bet is probably to try and find the local Hunting Association for that area, as these are the people who are the forest equivalent of the Mafia, and control what goes on in an areas' woods. They'll point you in the right direction for places that are good to do bushcrafty things. However, make sure your French is good - their members tend to be local farmers/landowners who often don't speak any English!

Have fun... let us know what you get up to out there...:wave:

hootchi

Settler
I read about the France woodlore course and they were camping in commercial campsites because the area they were in didn't allow wild camping, fires, foraging, etc... don't know the area though but it must have been somewhere quite strict, national park or equivilant.:?:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks so far all... some food for thought there.

i'm planning a long weekend of climbing in early May and instead of staying in Mr Beds or F1 I thought it might be nice to outdoors it a little more.

Moine

Forager
Awright guys :)

I live in France. I'm teaching bushcraft and survival in the south of France (Vercors), so I might be somewhat helpful with those questions... at least I'll do my best.

There are periods in the year where fires are indeed forbidden... and seeing how dry the land can be by the end of the (hot, dry and long) summer, I sincerely thinks it just makes sense.

That being said, I'll give you an example : last summer I was teaching some basic bushcraft stuff to a group of 7 kids. It was right by the end of a 2 months drought. I had located a small cave that would allow for a perfectly safe campfire spot (we slept in there, BTW, and it was extremely cool :)). A forest guard showed up. He said "you know all fires are strictly forbidden don't you?". I said "of course. Everything is so dry it feels like walking on rice krispies". He nodded. I said "as you see, I took extreme care in order not to start a forest fire..." The risk, obviously, was completely null. He agreed, and wished us a nice stay. End of story.

Natural reservations are what they are : reservations. You're not even allowed to pick flowers. They are not meant to be a bushcraft playground, and I personally like it that way. There are plenty of other places to go out and do bushcraft stuff. You just have to know the secret spots ;)

As far as Fontainebleau's concerned, you have to check the local regulations. Chances are that there is a Web site somewhere about that particular place.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. I'll do my very best to help out the bushcrafting cause ;)

Cheers,

David

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, it looks for all intents that visiting the area is going to be the usual hotel which sucks. There's no way i'm going to be able to find any secret spots in a few weekends climbing a year.

It's a shame that such a large country with such a comparitively small population don't allow the use of the free/wild space more.

Lets face it, most forest fires are caused either naturally or by people smoking or leaving glass around or arson etc...

Nevermind.

Thanks anyway guys.

Moine

Forager
Squidders said:
Well, it looks for all intents that visiting the area is going to be the usual hotel which sucks. There's no way i'm going to be able to find any secret spots in a few weekends climbing a year.

It's a shame that such a large country with such a comparitively small population don't allow the use of the free/wild space more.

Lets face it, most forest fires are caused either naturally or by people smoking or leaving glass around or arson etc...

Squidders,

France, a large country with little people ? :D

It's all a matter of perspective I guess... Coming from Quebec, I find France to be small and overpopulated. The environment is already badly degraded here. At least compared to where I come from.

Anyways...

Forest fires are indeed often caused by glass and smokes and such, but I think you underestimate the level of dryness those woods can attain. Just a spark from a campfire can burst into flames in very, very little time. Over here in the south, we have a semi-arid climate. In my town, we have over 300 days of bright sun a year. That is not a lot of rain. And as the climate heats up, there is less and less glaciers to feed the rivers, and it's just getting dryer and dryer everywhere.

As much as I find many regulations to be completely stupid, the campfire regulations are, IMHO, perfectly sane... I personally avoid making campfires most of the time when it's dry anyways (even outside of legally stated interdictions, whenever I see that it's dry enough to be dangerous). A self-made, ultralight alcohol burner does it for the cooking. Maybe it's less romantic and less "re-enacting", but it boils my water faster and it's less visible at night.

While most "wild camping" is forbidden, "bivouacking" (sleeping in the bush without spending more than the night on a given location) is either accepted or tolerated, even in parks. What will get you expulsed is disrespectful behavior : leaving trash behind, making excessive noise, or irresponsible fires. I personally think the rangers are quite cool : they will lecture a little and walk you out of the zone, usually. I'm not that kind with people who mess up with the wilds...

The facts are that very few people will ever bother to come and check the woods after dark, so you can sleep wherever you want, as long as you stay relatively "low profile". I've spent many, many nights in the bush, either on private land, public land or national parks without anyone bothering me. I just do it with minimal light and noise... and I leave no trace (which any good bushcrafter should do anyways). IOW, I do like my indian ancestors did while in ennemy territory... and I think that any skilled bushcrafter can easily go unnoticed in the french wilderness if he wants to.

Just my humble opinion...

Cheers,

David

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Squidders said:
Anyone know if you're allowed to do bushcrati type things in the forests in fontainebleau?

I know it'd be easy enough to find somewhere fairly remote but is anyone aware of the law in France regarding this?

Cheers

Joe

No fires in Fontainenbleau forest. Much of the forest has a very dry, sandy soil with pine and fir roots running quite shallow.

I think that you can sleep rough there, no problem. Plenty of fallen branches and useful rock formations for shelters.

Keep your snap well off the ground, or you might be woken by the boar.

Some reading for you. If your French is rusty, try Babelfish. If you're stuck, ask any qeustions, and I'll try to sort you out.

http://www.fontainebleau-tourisme.com/Activites/activites_foret.htm
http://www.onf.fr/fontainebleau/

Keith.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Keith_Beef said:
No fires in Fontainenbleau forest. Much of the forest has a very dry, sandy soil with pine and fir roots running quite shallow.

I think that you can sleep rough there, no problem. Plenty of fallen branches and useful rock formations for shelters.

Keep your snap well off the ground, or you might be woken by the boar.

Some reading for you. If your French is rusty, try Babelfish. If you're stuck, ask any qeustions, and I'll try to sort you out.

http://www.fontainebleau-tourisme.com/Activites/activites_foret.htm
http://www.onf.fr/fontainebleau/

Keith.

Added:
There's a campsite at "La Musardière", near to the "Trois Pignons" area.
This climbing FAQ http://www.ipswich-m-c.co.uk/details/font.txt mentions it.

It is just north of Noisy sur Ecole, near the left-hand edge of IGN map 2417 OT (published by the Institut géographique nationale, €9.50).

The climbing FAQ mentioned above is a little out of date, I think. You can find train times from Paris out to Fontainebleau (station is called Avon) here: http://www.transilien.com

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE