Bushcrafting at Turku Medieval Market

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Medieval Market at the city of Turku (the European Capital of Culture in 2011) is one of the things that I will absolutely attend every year. It is mostly centered around the word "market" and actors who roam around the people. I have not been in any of the other Medieval fairs that are held every year in Europe but I quess that they naturally also have a jousting and horse archer tournaments, I'll just hope that they have more than three horses attending every year! :)

There was little bushcrafting activity to see, but I still managed to capture some to my photographs. First we had an interesting shoemaker (not pictured here) from Eastern Finland who made traditional Finnish shoes, unfortunately with hefty price tags.

tylliturku2011.jpg

The type of shoes I would like to own some day.

tylliturku20112.jpg

How did this get here?

possuturku2011.jpg

Moving on... The local blacksmith. Unfortunately for me he did not have any knife blades I was looking for in his inventory.

seppaturku2011.jpg

I also briefly managed to visit Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova museum next to the market.

harppuunaturku2011.jpg

neulojaturku2011.jpg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Nice place Turku visited for a weekend in 2002/3. Great phots above especially like the shoes, I guess you'd have to re-train your feet to walk in them comfortably though. I wouldn't mind spending a week or two exploring the archipelago in that region via canoe, tell me are all the little islands privately owned? Is there any laws in Finland on land access?

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I wouldn't mind spending a week or two exploring the archipelago in that region via canoe, tell me are all the little islands privately owned? Is there any laws in Finland on land access?

Finnish State only owns about half of the land in Finland, rest is owned by private people and only a very small area by logging companies. You can access any land (even fenced one) and stay there for a day or two without any permissions save for areas that are part of one's backyard, military installations or very specific nature protection areas (where you can only walk within routes). You might want to read more about everyman's rights here.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Looks super! I love Turku! Spent a couple months there back in 96 or 97, working on a research project at the university. Stayed at the Uni hostel. A wonderful city. Did they change the name? I thought the city was called Abo?

Just kidding. :)

The Luostarinmaki handicrafts museum was super cool. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE