bushcraftexpeditions Namibia, Foundation, Tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DB_Scaley

Mar 25, 2006
Stourbridge
Bushcraft expeditions Namibia exped 2006.

Having just returned from Namibia having completed the BE exped, I have to write this article to let you know just what you are missing. Im not going to go into major detail at the mo, but will answer any questions etc when I get more time.

The exped was conducted in a free flowing and easy manner, with emphasis on the students gaining the knowledge they where craving.

Meeting up in Windhoek we then moved up country by light aircraft, an awesome flight and experience sucking in the scenery from 8,500 feet!

Arriving in the Hobatere concession we where met by our local tour staff and moved off to the camp site.... catching in some wildlife on route... Zebra, Oryx and Kudu. Arriving at the camp site it was time for a quick orientation and off to the water hole for some more wildlife.

The following 5 days then where spent engaging in the anicient skills of tracking in the area where they have risen from. The angle of approach for this was great starting off with the basics and building on them in a logical and proffesional manner, utilising the drills that Woody has gained over many a year doing it for real. During this period we also moved down to the local Lodge and spent time with one of Namibia's top Tracking / Wildlife experts walking around the water hole looking at tracks and sign. A very different game considering 7 Lions had been in the area only a few hours before and the guide kept us fairly close together with his rifle at his side. We then retired to the Lodge for a couple of hours sitting around the viewing area sucking in the scenery, only to be graced by the presence of a Cheetah casually strole past at a mere 30m from where we where sat. The remainder of the time in the Hobatere area was spent building on the tracking, but with time to take in the local wildlife with bino's at the ready, and a few more walks around our local waterhole.

Following this phase we moved off on route towards Bushman land via the Etosha national park. This was a fairly long transit drive but well worth the time, the amount of wildlife in the area was unbeliveble and the cameras where on rapid fire with time to observe nature.

Bushman land... arriving in bushman land we where made most welcome by the bushmen, who gave us an amazing welcome dance, we then settled into the camping area and prepared for the next 5 days of working with the bushmen.

This is one experience not to be missed if you are into bushcraft it has to be done some day. The village we visited had 3 bushmen guides who spoke very good english and we spent many an hour learing the skills that had been developed over years. We each produced a Bow arrow and Quiver from nature, going out in the bush finding the raw materials and then producing the goods with the aid of the bushmen. Other skills also gained where firelighting with hand drills, Tracking with the bushmen, plant walks digging up and sampling the local goods, jewelry making, shelter building, solar and astro navigation, water aquisition, traping and snaring. This was an imense experience that you just can not get anywhere else as the time went by the bushmen became more relaxed and we intergated with them hearing there tales from there forefathers and gaining knowledge. This was then rounded off with a get together around the fire and blessed on our way from the Bushman healer whilst the Elephant dance was conducted. These people live like this with very little resources and manage, you have to take a step back and appericate their life and be thankfull for what you have got!!!!!!

This was an amazing trip and the instructors are second to none, you have to have a look at the website and see the value for money and the quality that is there.

I have completed a Tracking, Foundation and Namibia course with this school now and have every confidence that this is the place to be learning!!!!!!

Get out there and gain the knowledge dont be an internet bushcrafter!!!!!!

http://www.bushcraftexpeditions.com

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Sounds like you had as amazing a time as I thought you would Dean. I only hope you behaved yourself all the time! ;)

DB_Scaley

Mar 25, 2006
Stourbridge
Hi,

Yeah had a great time.

I will sort some pics out soon, of course I was a good boy.... :eek:

Hows things?

Off to Thailand again today.....

Chat soon

Dean

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Spent three weeks in Namibia with Woody sometime before he set up his own school, a fine time was had and much was learned.

His website is definitely worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE