Bushcraft with wife and kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys
I was wondering how many of us are daddys and have
wife and kids and if you go alone into the woods or manage to include the family.

cheers
Abbe

Sorry guys I am working on a poll but it didnt work for me yet :shock:
wait a second until I get it going.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oi! What about Mums? I taught my sons more bushcraft than anyone else did. My husband thinks it's daft but he still brings me in fungi and bark etc., when he's out for a walk...cheaper than flowers too :) I must have done something right though, the boys survived! They're now 23 and 25.
Toddy

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,

As much as I would like to take my wife and little boy, SWMBO says she's not going anywhere that hasn't got at least 4 stars no it. My boy is only four and a half so I'm slowly introducing him while walking in the woods and hopefully in a few years when I've done a few more courses he'll come and enjoy the out doors with me.

Brian

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
Oi! What about Mums? I taught my sons more bushcraft than anyone else did. My husband thinks it's daft but he still brings me in fungi and bark etc., when he's out for a walk...cheaper than flowers too :) I must have done something right though, the boys survived! They're now 23 and 25.
Toddy

I am sorry!!!! Of course there should be mums too!
But if you try to work out a poll you will see that only you get 2 min time until the software post your thread without a poll attached. I got really stressed with that feature. I would have liked as well a feature bushcrafting with wife and kids but I didn't get it done in time.
The mums I simply forgot.. Sorry my bad. :icon_redf

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brian said:
Hi,

As much as I would like to take my wife and little boy, SWMBO says she's not going anywhere that hasn't got at least 4 stars no it. My boy is only four and a half so I'm slowly introducing him while walking in the woods and hopefully in a few years when I've done a few more courses he'll come and enjoy the out doors with me.

Brian

Do *lots* of walking, and eating too. :) Happy kid equals interested, I want to do it again, kid :) I'm still appalled at the levels of ignorance in the children I see.....most of them couldn't even recognise nettles, let alone know what is safe/good to eat unless it comes in plastic wrappers. I think it's great that there are still parents who *want* to teach their children about the natural environment. It doesn't all get done in one day, even just to truly experience the seasons is a wonderful thing, and they don't stay four years old for long

Cheers,
Toddy
Toddy
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paganwolf said:
LOL but whats in it !!!!! :shock: :lol:

Ah well, nothing....yet :wink:

But I am about to break out some of the heather honey and cream whisky (A nice, 'thank you' for sewing a linen shirt :) )

Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kath said:
Another bushcrafting family here! :-D

Brilliant! :You_Rock_
I do think it needs more mums to get the kids interested, but most of them find so many other things that they *have* to do that there's never time.

Did you do the whole brambling thing with the kids strapped onto your back, too? The three or four into the bucket and reach one behind, "guzzle" thing with a purple faced, blissed out infant :lol: Mine got like little birds, if mums' hand appeared near their mouths they just opened up and ate whatever was put in..... damsons weren't a success :?: but hazelnuts just cracked out of their shells and still 'milky' were a looked forward to treat every autumn.
Toddy

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
says she's not going anywhere that hasn't got at least 4 stars no it

Brian, you should take her out.... middle of the woods, clear night..."look up dear.... there you go... billions of stars.... get in that hotel (tent)" :)

disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any harm that is inccured if you follow this advice

;)

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Toddy said:
Brilliant! :You_Rock_
I do think it needs more mums to get the kids interested, but most of them find so many other things that they *have* to do that there's never time.

Did you do the whole brambling thing with the kids strapped onto your back, too? The three or four into the bucket and reach one behind, "guzzle" thing with a purple faced, blissed out infant :lol: Mine got like little birds, if mums' hand appeared near their mouths they just opened up and ate whatever was put in..... damsons weren't a success :?: but hazelnuts just cracked out of their shells and still 'milky' were a looked forward to treat every autumn.
Toddy
Mine have just grown up with it too, Toddy. I didn't do the baby carrier thing for very long as it is hard to combine with a backpack. Mostly they just walked and got carried on my hip when they were too tuckered out to walk anymore! If they grow up with it they don't know any different. They didn't think anything of it until they realized their friends were too scared to sleep in a tent (let alone out under the stars!) and wouldn't eat anything which didn't come out of a carton.

To those without kids or interested partners: If you have yet to have kids make sure you start them off right and you will have bushcraft companions for years to come! (Same goes for the wives/husbands/partners/significant others ... get them out there. Stress the romantic side of bushcraft. Introduce them to it gradually. And most of all keep it fun! :wink:) :biggthump

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Its great taking the kids out and teaching them about nature - my kids love it and I always try to make it fun for them - birch sap at the beginning of the camping season and brambles at the end. The best thing about it is on a saturday morning I can take the kids out a walk, do something I really enjoy, get the kids out in the fresh air, give the wife some time on her own and spend some really good time with my kids passing on my knowledge and enjoying their company. It doesn't get much better than this.

Cheers

JFW

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
My wife runs plant walks looking at the traditional uses of local plants and trees. She knows a lot more about botany than I do, I know more about the practical side of things than she does. (she tells me if it's safe to eat - I work out how to cook it.)
We lived in the forests of SE asia together for several years and between us are pretty good with most stuff we'd need to do. To be honest I can't think of anyone I'd prefer to be out in the woods with.

The kids have grown up with mum going foraging and dad building smokers in the garden. It's just a natural part of what we as a family do. There was no introduction as such so the kids just accept it as part of who they are. Last summer my son (5 at the time) refused to sleep in the house for almost 3 weeks and slept in a tent at the end of the garden 'cos "I hear the birds better there, and the owls at night help me sleep." My eldest daughter judges boys on how well they can identify wild mushrooms :) and my youngest daughter (4) could bring you back at least half a dozen edible plants if you sent her off to the woods.

I suppose we're lucky, we live in the middle of a wood, in the middle of no-where, but kids just love being out there doing stuff and even if we lived in the city we'd do our best to be out with the kids as often as we could.

George

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I'm single, but I have always been taken by my parents for walks in the woods and general outdoors. Thetford Forest in Norfolk was a fav holiday place for them and of course I had to come to. I was shown what was edible and what was to be very carefull of, as a typical kid I wasn't very intrested in the out doors. The turning day for me was being dragged on 1 of these holidays and walking ahead of my parents completely disinterested and freezing at the sight of deer and a badger. That was 15 years ago, if I ever do have a family, I shall do exactly the same and hopefully I will be able to show them "enlightenment" is not a PS2 or a pc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE