Bushcraft With Health Problems/Disabilities

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this problem. I've had M.E. for my whole adult life. I was reasonably functional until a year ago, when my health got worse such that my capacity for walking and physical activity are seriously limited. Long walks and overnight camping are out of the question. I've got quite interested in bushcraft recently. I've been able to do a few basic things like enjoying watching wildlife, learning to sharpen knives, and eating dandelion leaves from the garden. I also bagged a rabbit with my air rifle a while ago when visiting my friend's farm. I skinned/gutted the rabbit for parctice, then fed it to the cats.

My health is improving, and I hope in time to get back to being able to enjoy the occasional country walk. In the meantime I'm wondering what other bushcraft-type activities, apart from learning from books and the internet, I can do?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Strike Team.

Sorry to hear about your disabilty. There should be many bushcraft related activities within your capailities it might take you longer to acheive results due to the need for regular breaks etc.

I would start with cordage as is relatively simple to do with the need for stamina. Just harvest some nettles and your away.

Another goal would be to get good feather sticks. i know plenty of people that cant get really tight curls. learning to identify and age tracks should be ok too. You can build a simple track trap and see whats about in your neck of the woods.

i'm sure others will come up with plenty of other suggestions.

i hope your road to recovery is short and swift.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I feel for you Strike Team, I really do. So many of us take our mobility, and the fact that we can just wander off when it suits us for granted. Great to see that you are improving though. I hope you can get to the stage where you can get into the woods for longer sessions and start to live more of the outdoor life.
In the meantime, you might find that there are country parks in your area that could offer you the chance to get out and about without ever being too far from civilisation or your car. Even the humble municipal "picnic site" can offer bushcrafting opportunities if you look through bushcrafters eyes. Bushcraft as I see it does not have to be the whole hog with overnighters in the woods and making all your own kit from what you find in the woods and along the foreshore. It's far more a state of mind and having the eyes and ears to see the possibilties that surround you wherever you go. Keep well and keep the faith.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Strike Team said:
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this problem. I've had M.E. for my whole adult life. I was reasonably functional until a year ago, when my health got worse such that my capacity for walking and physical activity are seriously limited......
My health is improving, and I hope in time to get back to being able to enjoy the occasional country walk. In the meantime I'm wondering what other bushcraft-type activities, apart from learning from books and the internet, I can do?

You do as much as you can, when you can. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis; when it flares, life's a bit of a bu**er really. Then it settles (eventually :rolleyes: ) and I feel as though I've got wobbly joints with no spring in them and I have no stamina at all. So, camp overnight when the weather, the site and the company is good :D otherwise just go for the day and visit.
Long walks...well how long is a piece of rope? Find a good place and the distance doesn't matter, there'll still be plenty to see, and use too, probably.
Most of the handcraft skills can be practised virtually anywhere....cordage, carving, leatherwork, and if you have a garden, firelighting is incredibly satisfying and then you can practise your cooking too....if you aren't veggie rabbits are good food! Other skills like pottery and basketry can be started by finding a good class and joining in.
Perhaps the best advice of all I could offer is to go and find people who also make things, there's a huge community of craft workers in Scotland, many demonstrate at countryside and park events throughout the year, go and talk to them, you might well find many of them are bushcrafters in their leisure time too :) but the skills they show you will be in some way relevant, whether it's willow work or pole lather turning, it's all useful stuff and it'll broaden your scope. Put yourself on the bcuk map when it's back up, too, and locals might invite you along when they're having a day/weekend somewhere. There area fair number of good sites in Scotland for days out.
Hope things continue to improve,
Cheers,
Toddy

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
hey dude
great that you are able to do something its always good to start .
i think books dvds are a good way to relax and bush craft so certainly keep that up , personely i find ray mears very theraputic and relaxing to watch .
as you know take it slow . i have a few nergy problems myself - least of all my inherant lazyness i love a good long walk and i am luck to still be able to do that but you have no need to treck to keep the practice up , indeed practicing at home is something that is not mentioned much .
this summer i was very fortunate to live in a house with a garden , i was able to light a fire there bivi out and get to grips with stringing the ray mears hammock . was also able to practice cooking on an open fire and play around with the axe a bit - all this yes you can learn in the back and beyond but playing in the garden where when you get tierd of it you can just simply go in shower off and lounge on the sofa is also fun . and when i did go to the woods for real i had a better idea of what works what equipment i really needed and what i didnt need.
what part of the world you in any how ?

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll try having a go at feather sticks first.

I'm a confirmed meat eater, BTW. I gave the rabbit to the cats as that night's dinner was already planned, and the rabbit would've been inedible (and probably stinking too :eek: ) by the time I got home after the 4 hour train journey.

I do enjoy watching Ray Mears, and reading the likes of Lofty Wisman and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingall's books.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
M.E is a bugger, to put it mildly, but as i'm sure you know, as long as you pace yourself and listen to what your body is telling you, this dip you're experiencing over the last year should run its course. Have you sought or found any good advice on managing the m.e.?
In the meantime, as others have already said, and as i'm sure you already are, just do what you can, when you can. Long walks might be out of the question but if you have someone to drive you can still get out and tune into and enjoy the countryside, even if you just stay in the car and find a nice viewpoint, or just go a few paces and sit somewhere for a while. I really like having a fire and cooking outside is always good, especially if you have someone with you to join in and help with any of the more physical work. Same goes for camping, if sleeping out appeals, you can camp near the car and as long as you are with someone who can deal with the stuff you can't manage ( even if thats basically everything!), you should be ok. There are loads of activities to choose from that could be considered bushcraft related, i guess it's more about what appeals to you and then finding ways to work with the energy levels you have on a given day. What sort of things do you feel drawn to?

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi StrikeTeam.

My wife has had severe M.E. almost since the day we got married. Some days she would spend 18-20hrs in bed, have enough energy to get a shower, cup of tea, something to eat, then have to go back to bed.

I understand exactly how disabling m.e. can be. In fact that was one of the reasons I studied reflexology and other complementary therapies.

If you havent already tried complementary therapies, it might just work for you. In the meantime you have to listen to your body, and not push yourself too hard.

My wifes health has picked up loads in the last couple of years, and she manages with just a couple of hours nap in the afternoon to help get through each day.

Depression is also really common with m.e. sufferers, so whatever you do, ensure that you include something that you can succeed at as one of your tasks.

Hope your recovery goes well and your bushcrafting brings you enjoyment.

TC

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Whittle! It's basically the sum total of what many of us get up to by the firelight in the woods, I'd imagine, and it's a great way to kill time on an evening at home. Experience in carving is invaluable, I find, as it improves your knife skills beyond measure and provides plenty of decoration for the mantlepiece, as well as many functional bushcraft items.

Whittling is awesome.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Another idea could be to learn to tan the rabbit skins then from there go onto leather crafting. Start simple and take it further as your health improves. Take small steps learn to work within your ablities. Don't get frustrated by what you can't do but enjoy each new skill learned. You don't have to become an "expert" just content in having done as good a job as your abilities allow. Also learn to use and benifit from the wealth of knowledge within these forums. While I was born with spina biffida I have the advantage in a way of having grown up adapting to what I can and can't do rather than the feeling of having lost something from an illness like you, but you can adapt trust me.
Dave.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Is overnight camping out of the question?
Some of the scout camps have decent access to the camping sites and fire circles so the camp stuff you could join in with. If a tent is impossible most if not all scout sites have buildings that you can use.
Not all the meets would be suitable, but some will definitely be more accessible, don't rule out the idea. Keep an eye open, if a meet up is at a scout site I would say it is worth asking about access.
There may be a couple of things you find more difficult but not everyone will be off hiking, I prefer the couch (log?) potato approach myself!
Good luck!

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have to suggest one of these , we managed to raise funds through Elifar (they paid the full amount) . The difference this beasty has made to my wife is unbeliveable . She is a very severe asthmatic with a whole host of additional problems that leaves her unable to walk more than a few paces with out getting out of breath .
The tramper is very quite so you could even go tracking with it ! These beastys will go over just about any terrain ,one bloke took one up snowdon !
They are easy enough to load up with whatever kit you may need and then some , yet will still handle the terrain . They are large when compared to a wheelchair so you wont be going shopping in it ! But it will get you on to the trails and such . Get on to any local charitys and raise the money , they are about half the price of a decent indoor/outdoor chair . Don't get stuck behind the stigma of using such a machine , get one , and get out there !
At the risk of repeating myself , one of these chairs has made one hell of a difference in getting the wife out and about .
Pumbaa

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
Another activity you may enjoy is building knives. This can be a very satisfying pastime. Also, tying flies. While not strictly bushcrafting, it does get you thinking about wild places and getting out when you are able.
Steve

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
its a amazing what the body can take and give i washed my hands 3 years ago and my shoulder felll apart i have had it rebuilt and now can do fire by friction and climb a 20 metre severe how by adaptodation

a fore thinking attitude and you have it good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE