Bushcraft Use of Introduced Species

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Rather than hijack Xylaria's most excellent 'toxic fruit' thread, I'll ask the question here: are there any species introduced (in, say, the last 100 years) to the UK which have an alternative bushcraft use.

I had a quick look at Wild Food the other day and saw that many 'native' species of plant were introduced by the Romans! For example, Alexanders.

Callum

Aug 21, 2010
Scotland
Hi Mike

How about Sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) introduced at around the time of the Romans but not a true native.

Callum

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
its suprising how many common plants and trees arn't native.

all connifors exept yew, juniper and scots pine. sycamore is one of our most common trees but is not native. even english elm isn't native! :D

pete

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Japanese Knotweed IIRC is completely edible but please double check as I vaguely remember hearing it on some programme on TV while I was on the internet and listening to music as well. Multi-tasking can be done by men but might not be 100% reliable in this case.

Would be good to be able to eat the Japanese Knotweed wouldn't it. IIRC it can be used in salads and also steamed. The leaves, stem and pretty much all of it can be used. However,as with everything on here, PLEASE CHECK AND CONFIRM ELSEWHERE THAT THIS IS TRUE. I'd hate to be the reason for a few dead bushcrafters.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Japanese Knotweed IIRC is completely edible but please double check as I vaguely remember hearing it on some programme on TV while I was on the internet and listening to music as well. Multi-tasking can be done by men but might not be 100% reliable in this case.

Would be good to be able to eat the Japanese Knotweed wouldn't it. IIRC it can be used in salads and also steamed. The leaves, stem and pretty much all of it can be used. However,as with everything on here, PLEASE CHECK AND CONFIRM ELSEWHERE THAT THIS IS TRUE. I'd hate to be the reason for a few dead bushcrafters.

Quote from Wikipedia about the edibility of knotweed.

The young stems are edible as a spring vegetable, with a flavor similar to mild rhubarb. In some locations, semi-cultivating Japanese knotweed for food has been used as a means of controlling knotweed populations that invade sensitive wetland areas and drive out the native vegetation. Some caution should be exercised when consuming this plant because it, similar to rhubarb, contains oxalic acid, which may aggravate conditions such as rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones or hyperacidity

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE