Bushcraft Sweden April 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JayKay

Hi there,

Thanks for reading my post.

I'm planning a trip to Sweden next year to do some bushcraft for one week in april. Now i looked at the map and decided to focus on the following regions:

Västra Götaland Län
Jönöpings Län
Örebro Län
Värmlands Län

Does anyone (from Sweden??) know a good place (GPS?) where one can wander there for a week and not bump into other people and do some nice bushcraft.

Tack så Mycket / Thanks!

Jeroen Keultjes

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I grew up in Jonkoping
I live in Vastra Gotaland
And I run the Vildmark course in Varmland wich is a great place and good training ground for bushcraft. So if you want to learn about bushcraft in sweden or if you want to know more about places you can wander off contact me through my e-mail johan@nordicbushcraft.com and I willhelp you out as much as I can.

I have been to Netherlands twice and its a great country with really nice people so Its always fun to give somthing back.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I was on the Vildmark course earlier this year and can definately second Johan's idea to go to Varmland....it's so beautiful there and you can definately wonder about without meeting anybody else. It's also easy to get to especially if you're driving yourself over from Holland.

Maybe Johan will tell you about Preben Mortensen's "Nordmarkens Kanot-Center", there and you may like to start your trip from there or you can see his website here:

http://www.nordkanot.se/

Good luck and have a great time :)

Bam. :D

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Well i haven't been to any courses but live 70 km from Johan and can still second that. Värmland is definately the place to go. All of the others are crisscrossed by farmland so the real big forests are gone now. Mind you, a big forest here is a place where you can go for like 70 km in any direction and not hit a road :). And Värmland is one of the few places that have that.

Of course, you are more than welcome to Västra Götaland aswell (where me and Johan lives). there are many fine places to go here aswell, just not so much of the deep forest.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
HuBBa said:
Well i haven't been to any courses but live 70 km from Johan and can still second that. Värmland is definately the place to go. All of the others are crisscrossed by farmland so the real big forests are gone now. Mind you, a big forest here is a place where you can go for like 70 km in any direction and not hit a road :). And Värmland is one of the few places that have that.

Of course, you are more than welcome to Västra Götaland aswell (where me and Johan lives). there are many fine places to go here aswell, just not so much of the deep forest.

There are some deep and very beatifuk forests down here also, but they are jsut a little harder to find, I have a place on the outside of Risveden wich I often go to and there are never any people there and the nature is just so fantastic. And it´s easy to get there from Gothenburg and ist just about 60 min busride away.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
HuBBa said:

Well well, up here there are no farmers at all. ;-)) you can walk to the west from my place until you hit the mountains in Norway and don’t find anything. :D :D
Sweden is a very long country!
:cool:

cheers
Abbe

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
Cant help but feel almost jealous hearing the description of those places so close to where you guys live.

What are the rules (laws and customs both) regarding to camping out in the wild in sweden anyway?

Are you allowed to: make open fire? (only dead wood or can chop new?) fish? (need a permit?) etc.

Porcupine

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Might add that the fishing permits are needed mostly for lakes and rivers. This due to bringing a little bit of money in for their preservation. Also many lakes have fish stocks replenished by adding farmed stock. But as Johan wrote, the cost is usually very cheap. Ranging from a few pounds for a day up to a tenner or so for a year's permit. If it's more heavily fished (ie. popular =) areas, it can go up a bit though.

As for what you are allowed to do and not to do, the Allemansrätt is a bit vague to say the least. Generally we use common sense as Johan also stated. There are however a few pointers that are good to make. You are allowed to cut down willows and bush (ie. shrubbery) but you are not allowed to cut down any living trees. Standing, dead trees are fine however and all fallen trees. However, you will note there are log-piles neatly stacked around areas where they cut down the forest for profit. Those are not free to take however and fall under the same rule as with living trees, you need the landowners permit.

When it comes to fire it's actually not governed by the Allemansrätt directly but rather by the fire regulations. During dry periods (ie. summer) general warnings are issued in different areas where there may be a danger for forest-fires. This is reported every weather-cast on the news and if you are uncertain, just call the firedepartment and ask. If there is a ban on fire in effect that means no naked flames so no log-fires. Alcohol/gas stoves are fine though, as are enclosed BBQ's in most places. Again if in doubt, just call the fire department and ask.

And when it comes to game and hunting, you need a hunters license and landowners permission for this. Exception might be tarmigan snaring up north where you still need a hunters license for but dunno about the landowners permission.

And you are allowed to walk around fairly freely. Note i said, fairly freely as there are places where you are NOT allowed to walk. Any military installation is off-limits and also any shooting ranges (Which usually are placed a fair bit out in the woods due to sound pollution) is off limit. So respect any signs / barriers that is there to stop you. In fact, a good rule is never to climb a fence. If it's allowed to pass into that area there will be a walkway into/over it if you just follow the fence. Reason being you might not like what's inside,if you want to outrun an enraged bull, go to Pamplona =)

Right that was a little collection of things to think of.
/HuBBa

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I like to add some info too:

about dead standing trees:
They are often left standing for the bird preservation special in areas where they have cut all the trees but you still see here and there dead standing trees. Dont cut them because we need them for serveral different birds to build their nests in.

About trapping tarmigan you only can do it in the northbotten of sweden under the "odlingsgränsen" which marks the area left for the sami. They are allowed to trapp up there but not we. To trap here you will have to go to a course which takes about 6 to 8 hours, theory and a test in building a trap which is tested from the teacher. If you get the license you buy a hunting permint for an area which is not too expensive either. But you will have to ask if that area you want to trap in is free for trapping. After trapping season you will fill in a paper telling how much birds you got, so they can plan the population of animals as a protection against overhunting.

cheers
Abbe

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Viking said:
All mans right
Thanks a lot Viking.
I think I will try to learn a little of some Scandinavian language.
They say Norwegian is the best to start with because it is the one most easily understood by other Scandinavians.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE