Bushcraft Spain Oilskin Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Has anyone here bought an Oilskin Tarp from 'Bushcraft Spain'?
I'm contemplating getting a 3m x 3m as they seem to have excellent reviews... I am just wondering if I'll get stung for import tax?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've no experience of them, but I would encourage you to consider some UK based makers who also produce some top quality wax canvas at similar price points.

First up is Scott from Thornhill-Ultraheavy. I believe he is a member of this forum (goes by the name of Scotty von Porkchop) but his products can be found on instagram and ebay.

I have one of his 8x8ft wax canvas tarps and the quality is truly outstanding.

I can also recommend Ollie from Outhaus (www.Outhaus.co). He's best known for the Aussie style swag bags but he also makes some wonderful canvas tarps and wool products.

There are other UK based makers, but these are the ones that I've had experience with and can certainly recommend.

Reactions: Nice65 and Greg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've no experience of them, but I would encourage you to consider some UK based makers who also produce some top quality wax canvas at similar price points.

First up is Scott from Thornhill-Ultraheavy. I believe he is a member of this forum (goes by the name of Scotty von Porkchop) but his products can be found on instagram and ebay.

I have one of his 8x8ft wax canvas tarps and the quality is truly outstanding.

I can also recommend Ollie from Outhaus (www.Outhaus.co). He's best known for the Aussie style swag bags but he also makes some wonderful canvas tarps and wool products.

There are other UK based makers, but these are the ones that I've had experience with and can certainly recommend.
Thanks for the info Barney.. I have sent Scott an email.

Dariet

Apr 22, 2021
Copthorne, Crawley
I'm contemplating getting a 3m x 3m as they seem to have excellent reviews... I am just wondering if I'll get stung for import tax?
I own one and the workmanship is outstanding. I’m a firm believer in supporting professional businesses, no matter where they are located, and these people are 10/10

Reactions: wookii

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I own one and the workmanship is outstanding. I’m a firm believer in supporting professional businesses, no matter where they are located, and these people are 10/10
What about the import tax...was there any or did you only have to pay the price that is stated?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just been stung for more than £50 import costs, and furthermore it has not been released from Spain yet either. Won't be using them again.

Reactions: gibson 175 and Greg

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Bad luck Laurentius. Do you mind if I ask what the initial cost of your purchase was? Also, did they remove the Spanish VAT and then include it in your import costs? I was looking into this complicated nightmare when considering buying a tent manufactured in Holland. Spent weeks on and off researching the import stuff got so far but gave up. Looked on the government website, contacted customs etc..The problem for me was I just couldn't work out how much import costs I would have to pay on an 800 euro tent. Would it be an extra 50 quid or would it be extra hundreds of pounds. Wasn't willing to take the risk of a huge bill..and even if you get mistakenly overcharged, I imagined it being a nightmare getting your money back from UK customs.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Bad luck Laurentius. Do you mind if I ask what the initial cost of your purchase was? Also, did they remove the Spanish VAT and then include it in your import costs? I was looking into this complicated nightmare when considering buying a tent manufactured in Holland. Spent weeks on and off researching the import stuff got so far but gave up. Looked on the government website, contacted customs etc..The problem for me was I just couldn't work out how much import costs I would have to pay on an 800 euro tent. Would it be an extra 50 quid or would it be extra hundreds of pounds. Wasn't willing to take the risk of a huge bill..and even if you get mistakenly overcharged, I imagined it being a nightmare getting your money back from UK customs.
£184.53 that was before UPS added the customs charge, UPS did not even deliver either, they sent it back and Bushcraft Spain had to send it out again via DHL.

• Wow
Reactions: gibson 175

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
£184.53 that was before UPS added the customs charge, UPS did not even deliver either, they sent it back and Bushcraft Spain had to send it out again via DHL.
From Texas here! UPS into and out of the EU is terrible regarding fees. Their surcharges overwhelm the actual tax owed, at least it did in my case a few years ago.

As I remember it, ~$15USD in tax was ~$130USD to UPS. Never used them again into or out of Europe. Those "handling" fees were horrendous in my case.

• Wow
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I have the Polish Palatka extension.
* I watched Matt Bigmonsters definitive YouTube review.
Service and product quality superb and use DHL from Europe.
I would offer in the current economic situations you lot should BUY BRITISH! And support your own whenever possible.
That said, am ordering some W L boots this Friday. I’m not happy with my choice s here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE