Bushcraft phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Yesterday I bought new cell phone nd although I was planning to get the most simple one available, I've stumbled upon the Samsung B2100. Impressive specs: mil-std-810 (whatever!) compliance for dust/water resistance, rugged casing, built in (good) led torch.

Anyone have experience wth this gizmo?

PS Mod, sorry if this would be the wrong section

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I think it's the perfect outdoor phone. Truly rugged and a long battery life. I've had mine a year, on 24h a day and I only charge it every 2 weeks.

I use this as my work phone (too many have fallen to their death in the line of duty...) and it does everything you need a phone to do.

The predictive text is a bit annoying but i took my boys kayaking in the summer and got the phone soaking, not a problem - it has been dropped, bashed, watered and more and still works fine. The best features are the rubberised keys as they dont get cracked and chipped when stored in your pocket with your car keys and the LED torch.

It works all over the world too.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I try not to pay more than £25 for a 'phone, are there any as tough as this with no camera or MP3 capabilities?

If I had a use for the other bits and bobs I would definitely consider your model.:)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Bought one after my very expensive Blackberry took a terminal soaking on the top of Helvellyn. It's rugged, basic, does what it says on the tin. The menus are pretty clunky, battery life is astonishing, and I'm delighted with it. I bought mine contract-free from Expansys, since I need more than that for my work phone - I just drop the SIM into it when I'm off out to the woods.

Tobes

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Surely, if it was a TRUE bushcraft phone, it would have two cups (hand carved from some obscure third world wood) joined together by a piece of 'cordage' (also hand made).

In all seriousness though, I think the word 'bushcraft' is being appended to too many things. What you are describing is not a 'bushcraft phone', it's a phone that can be used in isolated areas and is cheap enough so it is no loss if it gets ruined.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi

I've got one of them B2100s and its great. Very sturdy (the only phone I haven't wrecked on the farm).

It has some nifty emergency call functions too, for occasions when you're caught in avalanche or stuck in your hammock.

The Mp3 player is good for those occasions too.

Rob

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Surely, if it was a TRUE bushcraft phone, it would have two cups (hand carved from some obscure third world wood) joined together by a piece of 'cordage' (also hand made).

In all seriousness though, I think the word 'bushcraft' is being appended to too many things. What you are describing is not a 'bushcraft phone', it's a phone that can be used in isolated areas and is cheap enough so it is no loss if it gets ruined.

You're completely right Durluz. It's just checking if I made a good choice for something that can be used 'off road'. Thank you all for the comments.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire

I wonder how much it would cost if it was a Woodlore bushcraft phone?

:)

I haven;t got this version of the phone but I do have the previous version - the Samsung Solid M110.

Honest opinions:
  1. Basic
  2. Good call quality
  3. Awful interface and infuriating phonebook and texting
  4. Very rugged - dropped several time without damage
  5. Works slowly when subzero (but still works!)
  6. The accessory clip is rubbish and a good way to lose the phone
  7. Has a magical ability to find its way home when it's been lost! :eek:

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Has anybody any experience of the new Nokia 3720,it's had afew good reviews,only asking because my eight year old Nokia 3310,i think,is on it's last legs
Cheers Andrew

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Thanks for the review, just ordered one for swmbo who is very rough with technology. :)

landyandy

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2009
west yorkshire
hi all i got a landrover s1 /sonim xp3 and love it ,run over by a 10 ton bus and still works have a look on you tube !!!!
The Land Rover S1 Phone
"The first mobile phone rugged enough to be called a Land Rover"

The Land Rover S1 is the reliable communications tool to keep you in touch for when your life becomes an adventure.

Lifestyle
With an IP67 rating and shockproof design, the Land Rover S1 is engineered to excel in harsh conditions. So no matter what extreme environments your work or lifestyle throws at you, the Land Rover S1 fits the terrain.

Whether you're skiing, off-roading, sailing, power boat racing or mountain biking through the Cumbria Mountains, the Land Rover S1 is the only device tough enough.

Fully Submersible
The S1 can be fully submersed down to one metre for up to 30 mins, so you can be assured that water, muddy or clean, even snow will not ruin your phone.

Tough
Tested to withstand temperatures between -20C to +60C, the S1 can be dropped from a height of up to 2 meters onto concrete and survive.

With an antiglare and shock resistant 128 x 160 screen, it is also resistant to petroleum, oil, crush and puncture, making it the premiere rugged, "Go Beyond" phone.

Feature-packed
Fully-loaded with features including turn-by-turn GPS, accelerometer, camera and a torch the Land Rover S1 is a "one of a kind" mobile phone that delivers both craftsmanship and durability.

The remarkable S1 is built to survive and why it’s the only mobile phone rugged enough to be called a Land Rover.

Be the first to own the new Land Rover S1 and take your mobile for an adventure.

landrovers1frontmed2.jpg
[/IMG] have a look at www.landroverphone.com

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't know what people do with their phones to knacker them. Honestly I work on building sites all the time (sometimes even in the rain, Gasp:eek:)and lift heavy objects and so on blah blah blah and just don't break them.
I'm not dateless enough to put them in my back pocket though (where every wally just ends up sitting on them) and they always live in one of the front pockets of my keks

Never needed a fancy tough phone yet.
One that takes good pictures is nice though.
And if it plays the radio that's a bonus as well.

Great story! My daughter found an I-Phone just about a month ago and by dialing MAMA we were able to find the owner. He turned up with a great Barbie package to reward the honest finder. Some lesson for a six year old!

:D Excellent! When I was about 7 I found a purse with the grand sum of 2 pounds and 1 pence inside. I handed it to the nearest policeman. A year later I got a letter from the local police station telling me that as no one had claimed it I could have it. A good lesson. A few years later I found £15 lying on the ground near a kiosk in a shopping centre - being honest I said to the person in the kiosk "someone's dropped this! Maybe they'll come back for it" and then watched (very puzzled) as the put it straight in the till! Another good lesson!!!

I still haven't found the owner of the memory card that I found! :(

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
Has anybody any experience of the new Nokia 3720,it's had afew good reviews,only asking because my eight year old Nokia 3310,i think,is on it's last legs
Cheers Andrew
sometimes you have problems with metal cased phones when trying to get a reception where as a rubber/plastic one will.
A good idea also is the get the sim for travel sim card,
calls are 25p per min any where in Europe , so only use as a emergency ,
but!!!!!!! it will use which ever network is strongest, so you could use vodafone, orange , t mobile or o2, almost guaranteed a signal anywhere.

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
I have an LG something or other and the battery life is great, it will last a good week without a charge if I don't use it much. It also has built in GPS and maps. It also comes with a decentish camera.

forestwalker

I haven;t got this version of the phone but I do have the previous version - the Samsung Solid M110.

So do I.

[*]Awful interface and infuriating phonebook and texting

That interface almost made me return it to the store. Ahh, it has a PIN lock (good if you work in a school)! Ohh, it will not use it too actually, you know, lock the phone, but to irritate you every time you want to access the phone book or send an SMS. If I taught programming I'd deduct points to any student who made such a braindead desision.

But it is very rugged, and if the 2100 had a UI not designed by pot smoking badgers I might be tempted to spend some cash on it.

The LandRover one looks nice, but IIRC comes with a horrendous price-tag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE