Samsung B2100 Tough phone review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Samsung B2100 Tough phone review.

While this phone was released in 2009 it's still being produced, and I have purchased mine at the end of January 2013, But it's a perfect phone either as a back up phone or as a rugged phone for Crafters and other outdoor enthusiasts.

First of all the vital statistics.

Waterproof, dust and extreme temperature resistant
Submersible to 1 metre for up to 30 minutes
Multimedia includes video camera, Bluetooth and FM radio
Outdoor features include loud external speakers
Comfortable grip and portable size
Digital Camera : 1.3 Megapixel
Colour : Scarlet red
Technology : GSM
Voice Recorder : Yes
Display : LCD display - colour
Supported Flash Memory Cards : microSD
Battery : Lithium Ion - 1000 mAh

As I said 2009 tech don't expect the latest and greatest, just expect durability.

How I have used the phone.

I have not used this as my main phone, but I have use it a lot since I purchased it, mostly when I have been out and about fishing, walking etc.

How I tested it.

Basic drop, I dropped the phone powered on from 5ft onto various surfaces:
Carpet: No damadge.
Tile: No damage.
Sand: Dirty but no damage.
Builders gravel: No damage.
Wet Sand: No damage but dirty.
Paving slab: Again nothing.

From that height, most phones will survive so that's no a ideal test. So I tried it from the first floor onto:

Paving Slab: Small scratch to the red eadgeing.
Sand (Dry): No damage but dirty.
Sand (wet): Same again.

Signal quality.

This is subjective as I have been using it only when out and about in the local area, and it's one of the few thing's I can't measure scientifically but I have compared it to my iPhone 5.
In the city center of Liverpool outside of Central station both where perfect call quality and reported full signal strength.

Band stand by the Britania Pub, iPhone 5 3/4 signal and decent quality. B2100 Full signal. Both had reasonable call quality. On factor I will mention is both phones are set up to recive email from one address and the B2100 was slightly faster at downloading a copy of a email that had two small images but this was possibly down to the provider.

Now onto where it really matters.
Alt estuary at Hightown: iPhone about 50% signal but with crappy quality. B2100 90% signal and reliable quality.
Flea Moss Wood, Near Hightown: iPhone 5 no signal, B2100 30% signal but decent quality but did drop a call but I was able to redial right away.

Water Test.

This is where the phone really excels, I have tried it in the shower and it was really no contest and it's something I am not going to put my iPhone through from past experience with iPhones and water, and all tests where carried out in my garden.
But I did a few tests with the B2100 that worked well with a bucket of Tap water about 1ft depth, and it give the phone a single downwards shake to clear off the water droplets left on the phone.

Quick dunk: No quality lost.
5 min soak: No quality loss but was still able to extract a little water from the mic port.
10 min soak: Slight loss of audio quality, and the mic was a little feint. But the phone worked perfectly all the buttons worked and I was able to navigae the system perfectly.
15 min soak: Mild loss of signal quality, it dropped to about 75% but the transmission of audio from the mic was awful but understandable but the audio from the speeker was acceptable.

Now I could have left it longer but I didnt have the time after leaving the phone to dry out. But I can say it did preform beyond my expectations, and I haven't tried it in salt water other than having a light mist of salt pray after some idiot in a jet ski give me a little misting last month.
But I am planning on diving it a good dunk test in Salt water.

Results.

I am all in all extremely happy with this phone. Signal quality is fine for day to day use, and it will find a signal when most modern smart phones can't.
It takes abuse most smart phones can't, while providing basic web and email access along with SMS and call's.
For the bushcrafter it's perfect to use, water resistant and hard to break.
The only downsides I can say, it's not running IOS or Droid and the app's available are not uptodate and most apps are not even available for this phone, other than that it's a little too small for my hands but thats a personal gripe.

Other:
The iPhone 5 was Running on the 3 Network, and the B2100 was on Vodaphone. I would have tried the phone on the same network but technically this was not possible.

Over all I would give it a 8.5 out of 10.

b2100sml.jpg

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Interesting write up,

As a back up phone it looks pretty decent. Whats the battery life like?

thanks.

All the best

Craig

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
It's not somthing I have measured, I have left it on in my bag for 4 days and it still had plenty of power left. If you want I can fully charge it and leave it on my desk till the power runs out.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Would be interesting to find out, but don't go out your way to do it mate,

5/6 days would the most I would ever be away from a point where I could charge a phone. If your saying it has plenty of juice left after 4 days then I expect you would get that amount of time out of a full charge.

Thanks

Atb

Craig

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I use one as a main phone and if you are happy to turn off the 3G then battery life is 5-6 days when the battery is new.

Just don't expect web surfing to be fun.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Mines quite old and I normally get a week + out of the battery on mine, it's on all the time, but I rarely make any calls.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
I've used one as a basic everyday phone for a couple of years and found it to be very tough. The torch is useful too. Rarely use the web browsing, and as said its not great. Haven't found the GPS and compass functions - didn't think it had them (I'm a bit of a technophobe. Would be interested to know how to access them, the manual is rubbish).

Theres a review of the phone here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/18/review_phone_samsung_gt_b2100_solid_extreme/

Would recommend it as a good robust phone reliable phone but not if you need to use the web a lot

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
The B2100 phone doesn't have GPS or a compass. There is another model (more expensive, of course) with those features (sorry, can't remember the name).

The B2100 is a good phone for outdoors, I had mine for about 6 months, but now the glass on the display is broken (neighbours dog). Still waiting for another offer to get it replaced!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I've one I was very glad to be carrying when I ended up in a river in February - managed out & could call for someone cto come get me home - would have been a long cold walk. Phone didn't seem at all affected by the dunking.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Mine is about 3 years old now. It's been dropped and bashed about, I get it muddy in the garden and wash it off in the water butt and it still works fine. I've just been given the new version as a free upgrade but I'm reluctant to swap over until this one finally dies.

I don't think it's as dust proof as they claim though. Mine has a load of dust creeping up under the screen from the bottom somewhere but then it is a few years old and hasn't been babied.

The only thing I'd say about this review is that it doesn't say much about the phone as an actual phone. It's a very basic unit really and the interface doesn't seem like it's had a lot of thought gone into it. The text set up is annoying, I don't want to have to access a sub menu to add an apostrophe for a start. The camera is so poor it's barely worth having on there. Mine had a glitch where if you receive a call it will start telling you it's out of battery but turn it off and on again and it has full battery all of a sudden. and for an outdoor phone the speaker is not loud enough. The new version doesn't seem to have fixed any of this either.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Love mine as an outdoor 'phone. Not a smartphone but tough and weatherproof. Most of the reserves (outdoor) staff in my local Wildlife Trust use them, too - that tells you something!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE