Bushcraft on Wikipedia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Pappa, How does one contribute to the discussion on Wikipaedia?

I agree with your point of view; you only need 'survival techniques' if you are in a survival situation, but you may choose to place yourself in a scenario where you would find bushcraft skills necessary; the difference is that you are practising bushcraft on your trek through then jungle; when you become lost or injured you are then in need of 'survival techniques'...

Partly I think the biggest difference is psychological - you are practising bushcraft when you are in a known scenario that is playing out as it is expected to; you are in a survival situation when something goes wrong and you need to get to safety. Bushcraft is 'normal' activity, survival should not be... Although this could be argued for some peoples, for the majority of the western world (and certainly those with access to Wikipaedia), this should be the case.

Nicely done!

I think you've managed to quantify what the term Bushcraft means to most, if not all of us. :)

I don't know if they have included the term in the Oxford English dictionary yet.
Might go something like this.

Bush'craft n. practice of skills used in wilderness environment, survival, whittleing, lighting fires, eating stuff that live under logs, like that bloke of the telly Ray whatsisname! ;)

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
outdoorgirl said:
Pappa, How does one contribute to the discussion on Wikipaedia?

Just open an account (which is as easy as choosing a username and password).
Go to the discussion page I linked to above, and scroll down to the Merge Bushcraft > Survival techniques heading.
Click on the link that says edit to the right of the heading.
You'll see a page with content looking a bit like this:
== Merge [[Bushcraft]] > [[Survival techniques]] ==

It looks like they have essentially the same subject. Survival techniques is probably a better name. [[User:Nabla|Nabla]] 01:59, 16 July 2005 (UTC)
:I would disagree. [[Survival techniques]] refers to the skills themselves, whereas [[Bushcraft]], in a nutshell, is more about an ethos. Bushcraft encompasses survival techniques, but includes far more besides. Also, Bushcraft implies not only surviving in the environment, but living comfortably or even thriving. --[[User:pappa|Pappa]] 12:35, 18 July 2005 (UTC)

To add your opinion, just type a colon (to indent) and type. Once you've finished, click the icon at the top of the text box that looks like a signature, and click Save Page at the bottom.

I think that's about it.

Pappa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE