Bushcraft Magazine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
In Wood.

Do you have some commercial or close connection with the magazine by chance?

LBL

Hi BR

Your comments are correct, as you said you did not read the article, may I...

The article John was refering to as "flower aranging", was in fact an article by Chris Holland of Wholeland entitled Firework Display in the family activity section.

He explains that he, "to introduce a bunch of children to leaf identification, played a game" where by (being just after bonfire night) he arranged colourful plants into displays resembling fireworks, where he could identify the coloured leaves to the children.

He goes on to sugest trying this yourself, ie. Do this for your children.

My little girl enjoyed it, she knows Red Dog wood, Yellow Dog wood and Yew simply by showing her the leaves. I think if it draws their interest into a subject 7yr olds can find dull it is good.

I fully suport BcUK and hope they get their magazine publishing issues resolved quickly so we can again receive the magazine, but I will continue to receive BCSS magazine too, they have some great stuff in there too, including Dave Budd who is a highly respected member of this forum, who here can claim Dave Watson is not an excellent fire lighting and bushcraft instructor?
It's hourses for courses, what I dont like is someone trying their hardest to get Bushcraft into the public domain, which they have done, it is the only bushcraft magazine on the shelves in Borders, being slagged off for some minor errors that are down to printing errors.

It is an unbias magazine, they review kit and give an honest opinion, sometimes not to the liking of some of the companies they review, but I would rather have the truth than a fake review just becasue such a company promissed a load of free kit or a good advertising spread. It happens out there believe me.

And to have done this after receiving numerous setbacks, threats, even death threats, yes you read that correctly, I think they have done a hell of a good job for Bushcraft as a whole.

Any way, whats wrong with a bit of healthy competition, if a company believes in and trusts its product what is there to fear.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Actually, I'm with John on this one (although I have not read the article in question). There is a huge amount of material that is highly relevant to the subject of Bushcraft, outdoor life, survival etc. Enough to fill 50 pages of text and supporting illustrations for decades. How do I know this? because I write dozens or articles, pictorials, tutorials etc. If time and funds permitted I would write dozens more. Indeed there are three or four I must find the time to do soon.

There are entire books devoted to the subject of one narrow aspect of Bushcraft but often they are "too much". A magazine has a huge advantage in being able to "distil" such knowledge into relevant, concise and timely chunks without wandering "off topic"

I also don't think that flower arranging has a place in a Bushcraft magazine! Nor does any kind of poilitics. Now an article on knife law, or water purification or proper campfire cookery (say 4 pages on making a Sunday roast on an open fire?) spot on. Theres a place for all the arts of living and thriving, but I don't see why it should need to be a vehicle for a political agenda or a recruiting tool either.

Why can't we discuss the subject without worrying about artificially introducing irrelevant material for the sake of "inclusiveness"? The women I know who are into the outdoors (and there are many) would laugh themselves silly at being told "we included some flower arranging so you wouldn't feel left out". How patronising is that? My own lady (who is by the way equally at home in a cocktail frock or combats) would far rather read an article on butchering a deer!

Outdoor life should be done in the spirit of the campfire - enjoying one anothers company and respecting each others differences, skills and abilities IRRESPECTIVE of gender, background etc. Making fatuous inclusions to try to persuade someone to get involved is highly likely to be counter productive in my view - both for those persuaded and those who need no persuasion. If Bushcraft is not your thing, fine, why not just persue a different hobby?

Red

I've just taken my printed issues of BCUK Mag and arranged them like a flower on the floor of my bedroom. It looks beautiful. :p

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
John, No I was not implying you even knew of these. Few people do.:(

I have no reason to suggest your reviews are anything other than fair.:D
I think it is good that a magazine will publish comments relating to both the good and bad points of a product. If all reviews were of everything being the best kit to buy or use where would we the buyer be?:dunno:

As you said the manufacturer does not always advertise with the magazine, I notice no advert for Tatonka in the issue reviewing tarps and they were marked down on a couple of points, as on the forum here some swear by Tatonka others DD and so on and so on. I have a Tatonka and think it is the mutt’s bits.

I was simply stating what I know of the magazine and my personal feelings on the subject.

This industry is hard enough for anyone venturing into it without it being corroded away from the inside too.

Many people on this forum work in the industry, many talk to each other on a regular basis and know what goes on within other areas, we all need to work together to help each other to build a stronger family. I do not begrudge any man or woman success if they have worked hard at it, though some people do and some are very jealous of others that have succeeded where they may have failed.

I think praise where praise is due and that there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

Let me know where that tree is and we will chat till the cows have come home and the embers are glowing, mines a single malt.:beerchug:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a drop of Laphroig set by for a while at least...
I think we could have a very interesting discussion over it - and my Sloe gin...
See you under a tree sometime!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In Wood,

I'm glad your children enjoyed what you taught them. I still don't see the need myself for pretending a leaf is a firework??? Or of "Making a game of it - by pretending its something that its not"?

This to my mind, goes to poor educational practice. Sure a child is likely to think "so what?" when asked to recite a name of a plant. But teaching them which ones can be eaten or turned into cord or burned - and then letting them do it would make the information relevant and interesting. I just don't see the need of pretence - its fascinating enough when done properly, its joy is the utility of the information not pretending its something its not. I fail to see how arranging plants into firework shapes makes identifying that plant an easier. I ahd the privilege to walk with Jon Ps son this year - he knew a lot more plants than I did (indeed I hear from Jon he identified onee that Mors Kochanski didn't know) and he's not much older than yours (although a good decade younger than my youngest). No fireworks needed either

I'll happily read the magazine if I see it and will publish a review too - good or bad. I'm happy to praise good work - but I'll resist dumbing down or silliness in this hobby - its all about skill and knowledge - and many of our members like Jon R demonstrate that age is no barrier - others show that gender and background are irrelevant too (for which I am grateful).

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would post you my copy Red - but I want to keep it for the bow and wild food articles and Georges review......
Actually PM with your address again and - if you promiss me you will return it - I will post it to you anyway!
Save you a fiver!:D
Actually you could gut it and just return those pages...save weight/postage!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll see if I can find one first John - if not I'll drop you a note :) Thanks a lot

Tell GMart that its going downhill without as much of your stuff in it btw

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rarely - I mainly shoot PR and gallery so its not really my bag. I liked your stuff because it went to "Country" without being too "tweedy / shotgun" oriented - country without being pretentious. I'll pick up a copy of Sporting Gun for my next long rail journey to France :)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just read through this thread and I'm pleased to see I'm no the only one who is getting more and more disappointed with BCSS. The first few issues were very good and in my opinion complemented BCUK mag.
Don't get me wrong there are some good articles, Dave Budd and Dave Watson do some fine stuff but when I've read through these and a couple others I'm bored with it. I used to make the magazine last a good week but this issue took me 2 days, it does appear to be aiming at the armchair bushcrafter more :240:

So enough of this ranting lets get back to the original discussion point - Tony, can you give us some feedback on what's happening with the BCUK mag pleeease? Everyone appears to be getting withdrawal symptoms :red:

We're an understanding bunch and I'm sure if you just kept us up to date everyone will be behind you :)

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
At least BSCC print their mag. :rolleyes:

I agree the content is somewhat strange and off track, but there have also been a couple of those in BCUK. Don't get me wrong, I love the magazine, can't wait to get my hands on it again, would just like to know when that might be.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
apologies for such a long wait for an answer to this and i'm going to put you off again for another day as i'm not in a position to stay on here very long.

There's some changes happening behind the scenes here at Bushcraft UK which are having a big impact. I will explain it in a bit more detail as soon as I can but until then please don't use this thread to fall out with each other. Thanks for your patience

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
apologies for such a long wait for an answer to this and i'm going to put you off again for another day as i'm not in a position to stay on here very long.

There's some changes happening behind the scenes here at Bushcraft UK which are having a big impact. I will explain it in a bit more detail as soon as I can but until then please don't use this thread to fall out with each other. Thanks for your patience
Cheers Tony.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for your patience.

A lot has gone on behind the scenes of Bushcraft UK and the magazine over the last while, we had some investors come on board which brought about the new site and kept the magazine going. But some mistakes were made and the investors are no longer involved, leaving me to pick up the pieces. Twice over the last few months the site was supposed to close down but to my thinking it needs to stay alive and so I aim to keep it moving forward.

To keep the site going some tough decisions have had to be made, one of which is to put the magazine on hold. All of you know about the debacle with the printer which is still unresolved. I have every intention of resuming the magazine but at the moment it would be to the detriment of the whole site and I think you will agree that it’s better to have all the site and good potential to resume the magazine than to lose it all. We will be sending out a letter to all subscribers of the magazine explaining the situation and will sort things out on an individual basis. If you have queries that need addressing before the letters are sent out please do so by email to magazine@bushcraftuk.com. Please do not create threads on the forums but contact us directly.

The next short while will see some changes on the site as I streamline it and get the issues that some of you are still experiencing fixed. I have put a lot on the line to keep everything going so that we can continue to have a great place for information and knowledge as well as meet and create friendships, a place that many call home. Please be patient over the next while as changes are made and if any of you wish to offer help it will be greatly appreciated in areas such as putting up content, IT skills and the like.

My apologies for this bad news, although keeping the site alive is very good news and I hope that you continue to enjoy Bushcraft UK and all that it’s grown to be over the last 5 years. If anyone needs to contact me please use info@bushcraftuk.com.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Keep my magazine subscription fees in the pot Tony.
As you say, it's more important to keep the site running than get the rag printed.

Good Luck

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE