Bushcraft Knife Safety

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
0-KnifeSafetyTitle.jpg

I teach modern wilderness survival classes for California State Parks and other nonprofit organizations. During classes students use knives to help construct shelters, prepare tinder, and start fires.

Many students live in suburban and urban areas. Using a knife outdoors is not part of their daily lives. So needless to say, I dedicate a portion of each class to learning knife safety and sound technique. The students are attentive and I've never had an unsafe situation in class.

But it's a lot of material for students to remember. I worry that they won't retain the information once they leave the class. So I created a knife safety article/cheat sheet online for students to refresh what we learned in class.

Here's a link to the article, below. You may find it helpful if you instruct youth or adults new to using a knife outdoors.

http://www.natureoutside.com/bushcraft-knife-safety-9-tips-to-avoid-accidents/

Can you suggest any additional knife safety tips?

- Woodsorrel

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice clear instructions :)

What about a section on safe passing of knives between people and knives should be sheathed when not in use?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice clear instructions :)

What about a section on safe passing of knives between people and knives should be sheathed when not in use?

I teach that there is only one time when a knife should not be put straight into its sheath - when it has been used for cutting meat or fish (though it might also apply if it were covered in resin) until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS, never seen a Thumb Guard!

Last edited:
I teach that there is only one time when a knife should not be put straight into its sheath - when it has been used for cutting meat or fish (though it might also apply if it were covered in resin) until it has been thoroughly cleaned...

So true, Ogri the trog! Similarly, drying the knife if it becomes wet for any reason (like harvesting plant material) before sheathing it.

- Woodsorrel

Depends on the age of the students but for point 8, Ian from Lonescout Bushcraft teaches the children at the wilderness gathering calls it the triangle death and he gets them to say "The triangle of death" but they have to do it with a Jeremy Clarkeson voice impression.

I have used with the scouts and they all remember that part of knife safety, I have heard them telling each other at times.

So I guess delivery is the tip.

Depends on the age of the students but for point 8, Ian from Lonescout Bushcraft teaches the children at the wilderness gathering calls it the triangle death and he gets them to say "The triangle of death" but they have to do it with a Jeremy Clarkeson voice impression.

I have used with the scouts and they all remember that part of knife safety, I have heard them telling each other at times.

So I guess delivery is the tip.

I hadn't heard about the "triangle of death" until recently. It's certainly apt!

I think you're right about delivery, Freelander. It's why I continue to use the term "blood bubble" despite its potential to scare off hesitant students. The Triangle of Death seems like another useful teaching slogan. Let me see if I can incorporate it into the "Put your elbows on your knees" section.

Thanks Freelander!

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE