Bushcraft knife design question

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
I've noticed that a lot of bushcraft knives follow the same design which is that of the ray mears style. Is this due to simply the fact mears says it so people copy or is there a more practical reason why this design keeps cropping up?

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
If you look up 'Vitruovice' on YouTube his recent vids go into the types of grinds applicable to Bushcraft. He's a surgeon who has an interesting (if unhealthy) addiction to slicing stuff up :) Seriously though, he's very informative and you may just get the answer you're looking for.

Ed

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There are quite a few variations on the 'bushcraft knife' as below
EFB186F7-8AEA-480A-B15A-B630CB699138-10067-000006C45A3556C7_zps83434059.jpg

B5B00800-6D2B-457A-B8B9-A42064D03177-10067-000006C458232D14_zpse94f10f7.jpg

1E884585-092F-4B08-B68A-55A09D19EAEB-10067-000006C457BACE43_zps16b3d4c5.jpg

My preferred option is the top and bottom, both of which offer a straighter cutting edge and the bottom one a fine tip for carving. The top one offers its self to scraping with the spine for both ferro rods and de-barking as well as skinning.
Think it all boils down to aesthetics and the user.
No one knife is right or wrong.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
For the most part, yes, its because its Rays knife. I tend to stay away from it as much as possible with my own work. You only need a good edge for bushy stuff, lots of designs work and work well. There certainly nothing special about the woodlore. Its not a bad knife though.

I've noticed that a lot of bushcraft knives follow the same design which is that of the ray mears style. Is this due to simply the fact mears says it so people copy or is there a more practical reason why this design keeps cropping up?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I thought it was desinged like that because it worked and then the fanboy following made it the 'standard' shape/style.

I think the only 'bushcraft' knife I have is this Mora classic I modded..

The rest of my stuff is abused and beaten up and doesn't follow Mears doggs' popular design.. although it does a fine job you'd expect from a woodsman knife.

its a Fine design tho not one i personally can get on with .........so i designed my own that I do :swordfigh

more practical reason it crops up is Mr Mears says its so so its difficult to get some people to want anything else :banghead: for me it outsells my other Blade shapes 10-1 (against Nesmuk, Pukko, My own DSP design) something you can't ignore to much if there's bills to pay but it is a little different over all to try and reduce the shortcomings i personally see

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I thought it was desinged like that because it worked and then the fanboy following made it the 'standard' shape/style.

I think the only 'bushcraft' knife I have is this Mora classic I modded..

The rest of my stuff is abused and beaten up and doesn't follow Mears doggs' popular design.. although it does a fine job you'd expect from a woodsman knife.

Now thats a good knife. I love mine but its not as well used as that.

Theres a lot crap talked about various design features on this site and amazing contradiction in advice on knife styles to buy from the "Mora" (actually a brand/town but good) for the beginner to a fulltang heavyweight lump as the next step.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I think slowly but surely people are moving away from the Woodlore design, understanding that it might not suit them the best. I feel that generally if you spend some time outdoors and use your tool you will come to a conclusion (that is for one very expensive and two almost impossible) that is to design your own blade.

I myself enjoy using a knife that is similar in design although i have always felt that there are some things that i would prefer other blade shapes and designs.I could not afford to design and create my own since it would be a process of years to come, my new preferred shape is the DJP by FGYT, it has enough of a straight section of the edge- also close to the handle for fine work.The tip and the belly are really useful and not dropped too much so i dont loose the ability to do some skinning or choke up on the blade for fine work.

Hope this helps
mikey

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE