Bushcraft knife by Stuart Marsh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

Anyone had any experience with 'The Bushcraft' knife made by Stuart Marsh on this site???

On paper and photos it looks to be VERY similar to the woodlore, but £90 cheaper!

Any views?

Dan

leon-1

I have no experience of this knife, but there has been a thread either here or over on British Blades to do with them.

One other thing, I seem to recall that he every now and again he puts a self assemble kit on EBay which is considerably cheaper than buying one pre-made so you never know you may be able to pick one up really cheap :)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cool I'll have a look on BB also! Cheers for the tip about eBay I'll keep my eyes open for them!

Anyone else any views??

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have one of Stewart's knives.

And very nice it is too.

A thick piece of carbon steel giving good weight and control and nice handle with water formed sheath.

No complaints from me.

David

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I too have one of Stuart's bushcraft knives. It is an excellent knive, well made and good value for money. The only thing I would say is the finish (on mine anyway) is not quite to the standard of say an Alan Wood/Bison Bushcraft/Allan Blade.

leon-1

When you say not quite to the standard, what exactly do you mean, is it the way the blade has been finished or the way the scales have been finished or even the sheath?

As an afterthought if you can still get the kit all of this will be under your own control so it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

I would still like to know what points you are not happy with as if I bought one I would like to know if I could easily rectify them :D

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
That's what I was thinking.... Although the bushcraft knife looks pretty much like the woodlore on paper and photos, I wasn't sure of the quality... I don't suppose it is much less quality than an alan wood, but I'd rather pay more and get the best quality......

Having said that though, I'm still undecided between Stuarts, Alan Wood Woodlore, Bison Bushcraft kinfe and the Bearclaw one...

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
If you look at a Woodlore and then the Stuart Marsh, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, if it wasn't for the logo on the blade. It's the exact same specs, steel, length, etc. I'd go for the Stuart Marsh of those two. You'll save £90 and probably get just as good a knife. And you'll have something not many others don't have + there'll be less waiting time. :)

I can't comment on the Bearclaw and BB though. But IMO the Bearclaw looks awsome, if I had the money, I had ordered it straight away.

2 cents

leon-1

Daniel said:
That's what I was thinking.... Although the bushcraft knife looks pretty much like the woodlore on paper and photos, I wasn't sure of the quality... I don't suppose it is much less quality than an alan wood, but I'd rather pay more and get the best quality......

Having said that though, I'm still undecided between Stuarts, Alan Wood Woodlore, Bison Bushcraft kinfe and the Bearclaw one...

Daniel as The Viking has said you will probably get a good knife, the hardness and quality of the steel will be very much the same and most finish related problems can be taken care of with a little wet and dry. :)

We have many people on here who get by happily with a Frost Mora, they cost very little, but are excellent quality for what you pay and you can carry out most tasks that you require of them. :)

In the end it can be the best finished knife in the world, but it will still require a bit of care if it is going to survive and to be honest I would rather damage one of Stuart's knives and know that if I had bought the same thing from Bison or a Woodlore I would now have to fork out an extra £90 for the pleasure of maybe doing the same again at a later date. :)

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
leon-1 said:
When you say not quite to the standard, what exactly do you mean, is it the way the blade has been finished or the way the scales have been finished or even the sheath?

As an afterthought if you can still get the kit all of this will be under your own control so it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

I would still like to know what points you are not happy with as if I bought one I would like to know if I could easily rectify them :D

Don't get me wrong, it's a great knife for the money (won mine on e-bay) and I'm very happy with it. The grind on my knife towards the point was a little uneven giving a bluntish profile, that's all really and as you say you can rectify this yourself (as I did). I would certainly recommend it though for the money (although Allan Blade is pretty hard to beat).

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I'v read on this thread that Stuart Marsh sometimes has knife kits for sale. Does anyone know if he has his own web site where I can get more information?

leon-1

delbach, I don't know if he has his own website and the only place that I have seen them is on E-Bay. I did a search on bushcraft and it turned up on that, but I haven't seen any for a while, I hope your search goes well. Leon. :)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was speaking to Stuart recently about having him make up a number of blades as a forum knife kit but he said that he's pretty busy right now and he's flat out keeping up with existing orders.

rb

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Thanks for all your help i will just save up and buy one ready made from Stuart as they are not that expensive
andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE